Wily Mo vs. Dan Johnson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Wily Mo vs. Dan Johnson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby hybrid » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:59 pm

Pena for me, if you miss him and he goes off you will regret it. Like someone else said, depending on your league you could probably pick up a similiar player to Johnson later on in the season if you wanted to.

Also Pena is pretty much a sure thing to keep his job the whole year, they have no one that is a threat of replacing him in the OF. Not only that but they want to see what he can do with a full season, it will go a long way to seeing if they will sign him or let him go.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:02 pm

swyck wrote:Why wouldnt Willy Mo be on waivers this year? He was last year.

DJ is more likely to hold down a starting job then Mo IMO. Remember the carousel in CIN last year? Is it over this year? DJ is not a backup, and he wont be splitting time with anybody.

If you think Mo is going to break out this year thats fine, go ahead and say so, but use some real arguments please.

- Pena didn't play full time last year

- Yes it is over, they traded Casey and now he has the LF job to himself.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Iconoclastic » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:07 pm

swyck wrote:
Iconoclastic wrote:Never draft a backup type player who can be found on waivers- Wily Mo won't be on waivers, DJ and others of his ilk will be

Why wouldnt Willy Mo be on waivers this year? He was last year.

DJ is more likely to hold down a starting job then Mo IMO. Remember the carousel in CIN last year? Is it over this year? DJ is not a backup, and he wont be splitting time with anybody.

If you think Mo is going to break out this year thats fine, go ahead and say so, but use some real arguments please.

The reason Pena was on waivers last year's simple- last year he didn't have a starting job. This year he does- Pena's not a backup either. Last year there was Dunn, Casey, Kearns, Pena, and Griffey for 3 OF and 1 1B spot. This year he's guaranteed at least as much playing time as DJ, who has to worry about the likes of Swisher and Kielty splitting 1B time with Frank Thomas at DH.

Plus DJ has nowhere near the potential to hit 40 HRs this season as Pena.
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rlee » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:10 pm

If you are willing to take Wily Mo's 25 HRs, I hope you're willing to take his.240 or less BA. His power is enormous, but his plate discipline is nonexistent. K's/BB's :-P
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:13 pm

Old_Style wrote:dan johnson is going to split time with swisher at 1B for now.
pena has a full-time OF job now that casey left and dunn moved to 1B.

what are you talking about. Jay Payton's starting days are over and Dan Johnson will have the 1B by himself and Swisher will play OF
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby davidmarver » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:55 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
J.C.Fighter wrote:Willy Mo should be able to hit atleast 25 homers this season

And??

I'm not so sure I'm a believer in Willy Mo yet, but nor am I Johnson. I'd probably rather Johnson, because I feel he has more of a chance of staying in the lineup all year.

Same here. It'll be hard for Wily Mo to hit a lot of homeruns on the bench, which I think he'll see enough of to lower his fantasy value.

A career .303 major league OBP with 288 strikeouts in 830 at bats is not a good line; even though none of those are traditional fantasy categories, it'll make it tough to see playing time if he's that detrimental to his team.

Dan Johnson, meanwhile, had a 50/52 BB/K ratio last season (very good) and should be able to see plenty of at-bats, regardless of competition. Granted, his numbers are nothing better than an average utility fantasy player, but they'll still be more helpful than Wily Mo's.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby RynMan » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:55 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
Old_Style wrote:dan johnson is going to split time with swisher at 1B for now.
pena has a full-time OF job now that casey left and dunn moved to 1B.

what are you talking about. Jay Payton's starting days are over and Dan Johnson will have the 1B by himself and Swisher will play OF

Exactly.

Bias aside, I think Johnson is a more balance hitter both in real life and fantasy. Unless you are punting batting average, I think Johnson is the better player.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby J.C.Fighter » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:30 pm

Hmm...I dont know ..in this article he said that he's spotted the flaw in his game and is making an attempt to fix it...:-?

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

SARASOTA, Fla. | Wily Mo Pena's hair is short, the long curls he wore last year shaved off so that he is nearly a skinhead, and there are scraggly whiskers on his chin.
He is 6-foot-3 and 245 pounds, with upper arms that look as if they came off a box of Arm & Hammer baking soda, so whatever Pena wants to do most people smile and say, "Yes, sir, Mr. Pena, whatever you want."

His appearance isn't all Pena says will be different in 2006.

As he leaned against a batting cage during Cincinnati Reds workouts Thursday morning, somebody said, "What do you think, about 30 homers and 100 RBIs this year?"

A large smile spread across his face and he said, "No, no. Not 30 home runs. More home runs."

More home runs?

"More home runs."

Pena said he can't wait for fans to witness the new, improved Wily Mo Pena, the one that developed this winter in the Dominican Republic Winter League.

"You'll see," he said. "Much different, much better. My swing is better. If I take the same approach I had in the D.R., everybody is going to see. More home runs. I was taking a lot of pitches, not swinging at bad pitches, getting my pitches to hit. And I was hitting balls all over the field."

Then he stepped into the batter's box to face Aaron Harang and flipped a little flare into short right field.

"That's a home run," he said. "Inside the ball park."

Pena bounced around the three outfield spots last year like a red rubber ball and hit 19 home runs last year in 311 at-bats, some of which had to be tracked by GPS.

"I hit 11 home runs in about 100 at-bats in the D.R.," he said, "And four in the playoffs."

What makes the 24-year-old outfielder so confident is that it looks as if he is going to play more and it looks as if he has found a home in left field.

With the trade of first baseman Sean Casey and the switch of left fielder Adam Dunn to first base, the plan is to put Pena in left field. No longer is he arguing with Austin Kearns over right field or waiting for days Ken Griffey Jr. doesn't play so he can man center field.

It is general knowledge that Pena's defense is suspect and his glove has problems getting through airport metal detectors.

Manager Jerry Narron isn't worried about it and neither is Pena, who played right field in the Dominican. Narron's theory is that Pena was moved around so much that he couldn't get comfortable in a position. He says that will change this spring, that Pena will play left field, left field, left field and, for variety, left field. And there will be extra work.

"He is willing to work," said Narron. "Anybody who says he is not willing to work hasn't been around enough to say that. I'm sure the last couple of years when he didn't play and we switched him around so much, he got frustrated and said to himself, 'Why bother?' It's not because he is lazy."

Pena was, indeed, frustrated the last couple of years about his situation, so frustrated that at one point late last season he said if he couldn't play every day he would like to be traded.

"All I want is a chance, an opportunity, to show what I can do," he said. "I can't do that when I'm not playing."

The opportunity has arrived.

"I've had to be patient here, wait for my chance," he said. "This year is my opportunity. They are giving me the chance. This is the year I have to do it, show 'em.

"As for left field, I know they are going to help me a lot and I just have to listen to them and learn," he added.

During one turn in the batting cage Thursday, Pena took four straight pitches from Harang as Hall of Fame catcher Johnny Bench watched from behind.

"What is this, an eye test?" said Bench.

Pena walked out of the cage and said, "Last year I might have swung at all four of those pitches, which weren't good pitches. This year? Patience, my friend, patience."

Pena is well-versed in patience.
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Old_Style » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:45 pm

J.C.Fighter wrote:Hmm...I dont know ..in this article he said that he's spotted the flaw in his game and is making an attempt to fix it...:-?

i believe Corey Patterson found his flaw last season too and tried to fix it. !+)
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J.C.Fighter » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:23 pm

^Ok? :-?
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers