Looking for a future star - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Looking for a future star

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Looking for a future star

Postby Surfs up » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:07 pm

I'm looking for a shortstop that may be two to three years away that will hit for power and for average. Steals would be a nice bonus.AL only. I already have BJ Upton. Many of the bigger names in the AL minors are taken in our league. I have four picks in the top ten in minor draft this year. Marte I believe will be one of them. So many pitchers. Unless Liriano goes back to the minors I may pass on pitchers.Lester, Hughes and Sowers are suppose to be good picks but pitching prospects are just to tough to take unless they have the name Felix.Thoughts? Hybrid you are in my mind the man with the most minor league knowledge. To the rest of you thats not a cutdown. I value all of your opinions.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 199)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sultans of Squat » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:34 pm

There's Brandon Wood, if he's still available in your league, though there's some chance he might not stick at SS.

And then, there are these guys you might want to check out though I'm not sure about them becoming "stars":

Asdrubal Cabrera (Seattle) - seems pretty good at everything, but not really great at anything, except defense from what I hear; might switch to 2B since they like Betancourt at SS

Reid Brignac (TB) - was very well regarded out of HS in previous year, but underperformed in 2005 so lost some stock; might switch to 2B if BJ sticks at SS

Joaquin Arias (Texas) - has the speed, but no power though I guess will benefit some from hitter-friendly homepark w/ the Rangers

CJ Henry (NYY) - very raw athletic type out of HS taken mid-1st round by Yanks in 2005; might get switched to CF

Jed Lowrie (Bosox) - more polished out of college taken w/ supplemental pick by Bosox in 2005; I assume he's more likely to stick at SS than Dustin Pedroia
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby Surfs up » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:34 am

Brandon Wood is taken. I'll look into some of the other names you listed. Great start thanks for the help.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

Postby fantasygeek2006 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:24 pm

If Wood/Upton are gone...who cares about the 2-3 year thing, take Steven Drew!
fantasygeek2006
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Sultans of Squat » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:32 pm

fantasygeek2006 wrote:If Wood/Upton are gone...who cares about the 2-3 year thing, take Steven Drew!

He was asking AL-only.
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Re: Looking for a future star

Postby fantasygeek2006 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:24 pm

Surfs up wrote:I'm looking for a shortstop that may be two to three years away that will hit for power and for average. Steals would be a nice bonus.AL only. I already have BJ Upton. Many of the bigger names in the AL minors are taken in our league. I have four picks in the top ten in minor draft this year. Marte I believe will be one of them. So many pitchers. Unless Liriano goes back to the minors I may pass on pitchers.Lester, Hughes and Sowers are suppose to be good picks but pitching prospects are just to tough to take unless they have the name Felix.Thoughts? Hybrid you are in my mind the man with the most minor league knowledge. To the rest of you thats not a cutdown. I value all of your opinions.

see it now! snuck it past me you sly dog! ;-)
fantasygeek2006
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Surfs up » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:20 pm

I would love to take Liriano with one of my first picks. What do you think are the chances of him starting in the miors? Last I knew it was between him and Baker for the last spot.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

Postby EvSolo » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:26 pm

he could but he wont be there for long. dont let that make u pass him up if hes available. you will regret it. even if he dont come up till the all satr break, if he preforms like he can thats a huge gain for your team
EvSolo
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Surfs up » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:01 pm

Oh trust me. If he starts in the minors he will be my second pick after Marte.I have the first three picks so thats not a problem. If he starts in the majors hes fair game. The next thing is how much to bid on this guy? Our league over prices players with his stock. And there are many owners with lots of money.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Big Tiex » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:54 pm

Get Joaquin Arias , Texas likes him a lot and thay are already trying to find ways to get him ab's. He will hit for average power and sb. A great pickup imo. ;-D
Big Tiex
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball