Scott Kazmir's ceiling? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Scott Kazmir's ceiling?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Scott Kazmir's ceiling?

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:07 pm

Just curious about people's outlook on Kazmir over the next 5 years or so? Is he a guy that has the potential to be a top 10 SP in the majors putting up sub 1.20 whip while being toward the top of the league in era and k's or is his ceiling lower than that? I'm toying with the idea of trying to pick him up in a keeper but I want to get an idea of what people expect from him...not so much in 2006 but in 2007 and beyond.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Big Tiex » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:44 pm

I like him a lot and i think he would be a great pick for your keeper leage. He has always been viewed as a top prospect with the mets and now with the rays he has/will prove why. (still only 22) he still has a lot of room to grow and if he could cut down on walks , count on high K's and low era. Down the road i think he will be a top 15 or even top 10 in SP for drafts. I've heard comparisons to Harden and if that is true (without the injuries) i think u will have a great pitcher for years to come. ;-D
Big Tiex
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Jury » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:00 pm

There are some scouts that believe that his mechanics will down a road leading to injury. Hah I don't have anything else to say about him :-/
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mikekim2121 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:21 pm

I know this is off topic but if someone likes a player enough to name his username after him, as in the case with BIG TIEX and Mark teixeira, couldnt u atleast spell his name right?
mikekim2121
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Zito is God » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:28 pm

WARNING: This is EXTREMELY biased!

I think his "cieling" is a Cy Young award (meaning he has no ceiling, hes fantastic). I say i am biased because I think I follow Kazmir more then any other pitcher excluding Zito and maybe Webb. I think the guy is just that good, his K rate is tremendous for his age and I see his slider improving with time. Tampa won't get him too many wins though, but when Delmon and Gathwright come into their own I see a POSSIBILITY of a Cy Young for him (Yes, I am serious). I think he will have a fantastic career with a K rate of more then 1/IP as well as ERAs under 3 once he develops and if the DRays get the O going a 20 game winner as well.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Grouperman941 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:46 pm

I agree with ZiG. I think his ceiling is the sky. When might he reach it is the main question.

I think he probably learned a lot about the game pitching for Lou last year, and his team will grow with him, so he is a great fantasy prospect.
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby davidmarver » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:48 pm

Kazmir has chronic control problems, reminiscent of Rick Ankiel (Ankiel is actually the most similar pitcher to Kazmir according to baseball-reference.com). Until he gets that under control (which will be at the expense of Ks), his WHIP will stay high and his innings pitched will remain too low for his ERA to make an impact.

I'd wait another season on Kazmir rather than risk sub-par numbers.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby killa3312 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:59 pm

Kazmir is very Ron Guidryesque, from the mid-90s fastball to the electric slider.
killa3312
College Coach
College Coach

Postby killa3312 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:02 pm

Kazmir is very Ron Guidryesque, from the mid-90s fastball to the electric slider.
killa3312
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Grouperman941 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:20 pm

davidmarver wrote:Kazmir has chronic control problems, reminiscent of Rick Ankiel (Ankiel is actually the most similar pitcher to Kazmir according to baseball-reference.com). Until he gets that under control (which will be at the expense of Ks), his WHIP will stay high and his innings pitched will remain too low for his ERA to make an impact.

I'd wait another season on Kazmir rather than risk sub-par numbers.

SUre, but while he led the league in walks allowed, his K/9 was over 8 and his hits/9 was under9.

I have watched him a lot -- we get just about every Rays game here on TV. He gets into a zone where he is practically unhittable. When he loses that focus, the walks come.

I really think that Piniella rattled him a lot -- telling him what to throw (shouting pitches to Hall), to pitch inside, to actually bean guys. I think this stuff hurt his stats, but I think it made him better.

Did any other Rays fans notice this between Lou and Kazmir?
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers