Weeks To Lead Off in MIL? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Weeks To Lead Off in MIL?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Weeks To Lead Off in MIL?

Postby Bing Hampton » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:52 pm

Mar 1 According to The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Milwaukee Brewers MAN Ned Yost said he was considering putting 2B Rickie Weeks in the leadoff spot in his lineup this season and dropping OF Brady Clark to second, although he emphasized that nothing was set in stone. "What's going to make us the best we can possibly be? It's a bunch of things that go into it. Rickie being a little faster, with Brady being a little more fundamental," Yost said.

I had been wondering how the brewers' lineup would shake out, and was concerned that Weeks might see some time down in the order. I feel really good about his job security and potential to be super productive this year if they emphasize his speed. He was only caught twice in 17 attempts last year....
Bing Hampton
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:03 pm

I'd be pretty surprised if they did this but you never know. That lineup is probably the best top to bottom in the NL as far as having a productive player at every position and very few of them are super stars so the lineup really could be made any number of ways. There aren't clear guys that should be batting 7th/8th and 3rd/4th like on most teams.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Brewhaus » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:48 pm

I would be shocked if Weeks leads off. Weeks is much more likely going to be hitting 2nd, but actually even more likely to start the season would be 6th. Weeks strikes out to much to hit at the top of the lineup and does not have the power of a 3 or 4 hitter. Clark will most likely lead off, he did great last year. At #2 whoever plays shortstop (Hall or Hardy) would be your best bet.

MY PROJECTED LINEUP:

CF - Brady Clark
SS - JJ Hardy/Billy Hall (day-to-day)
1B - Prince Fielder
LF - Carlos Lee
RF - Geoff Jenkins
2B - Rickie Weeks
3B - Corey Koskie (or Hall)
C - Damian Miller (Moeller when Sheets pitches)
PITCHER
Brewhaus
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Zito is God » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:33 pm

Ender wrote:I'd be pretty surprised if they did this but you never know. That lineup is probably the best top to bottom in the NL as far as having a productive player at every position and very few of them are super stars so the lineup really could be made any number of ways. There aren't clear guys that should be batting 7th/8th and 3rd/4th like on most teams.

I don't know if you meant by potential or not. I hope you didn't mean that it is the most productive lineup in the NL. I think St.Louis and NY have something to say to that.

I think Weeks is destined to hit 2nd, and think it would be unwise to bat him anywhere else.

How long is Clark signed for?
Whats hardy projected to do?
Isn't Clark around 32 now?

I think ultimately Hardy will leadoff followed by Weeks and then prince (lee will most likely be traded this year).

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Ender » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:39 pm

Zito is God wrote:
Ender wrote:I'd be pretty surprised if they did this but you never know. That lineup is probably the best top to bottom in the NL as far as having a productive player at every position and very few of them are super stars so the lineup really could be made any number of ways. There aren't clear guys that should be batting 7th/8th and 3rd/4th like on most teams.

I don't know if you meant by potential or not. I hope you didn't mean that it is the most productive lineup in the NL. I think St.Louis and NY have something to say to that.

I think Weeks is destined to hit 2nd, and think it would be unwise to bat him anywhere else.

I think ultimately Hardy will leadoff followed by Weeks and then prince (lee will most likely be traded this year).

I meant as far as having solid players at every position in the order. NYM are still going to trot out Matsui or some other gimp 2B and I'm not sold on their last OF not to mention Reyes who is a poor hitter outside of the speed. STL still has Bigbie, Spivey and Molina. The Brewers could realistically have an above average hitter for their position at every single spot in the lineup this year, no other team can really make that claim in the NL. The downside is they are unlikely to have anyone with a .900 OPS and its possible none will break an .850 OPS. so they don't have the star power that the better offensive teams have.

With the Brewers you don't have obviously clear defined roles like in those teams where you throw the studs at 3-5 and the weak guys at 7/8.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Steve-o » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:44 pm

Zito is God wrote:I think Weeks is destined to hit 2nd, and think it would be unwise to bat him anywhere else.

Then I think you are in the minority on that one. His coaches think he has 30 HR potential and see him as a possible number three hitter. There has also been talk of a Ricky Henderson type leadoff hitter. I agree with Ned Yost, that Rickie is not as fundamentally sound as other hitters and wont be able to move runners along as much as others. First would be a decent spot for him IMO.

Zito is God wrote:How long is Clark signed for?

2 more years.
Zito is God wrote:Whats hardy projected to do?

Who knows? People in Milw compare him to some kid named Robin who used to play SS there. He walks more than he strikes out. Fundamentally very sound. Long term 2-spot possiblity.
Zito is God wrote:Isn't Clark around 32 now?

33 when the season starts.

I have posted some pretty extensive news about the lineup here. (The Brewers Forum in this site)
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Zito is God » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:45 pm

Ender wrote:
Zito is God wrote:

I meant as far as having solid players at every position in the order. NYM are still going to trot out Matsui or some other gimp 2B and I'm not sold on their last OF not to mention Reyes who is a poor hitter outside of the speed. STL still has Bigbie, Spivey and Molina. The Brewers could realistically have an above average hitter for their position at every single spot in the lineup this year, no other team can really make that claim in the NL. The downside is they are unlikely to have anyone with a .900 OPS and its possible none will break an .850 OPS. so they don't have the star power that the better offensive teams have.

With the Brewers you don't have obviously clear defined roles like in those teams where you throw the studs at 3-5 and the weak guys at 7/8.

I agree, I think the brewers have argueably the best young club right now (although the Atlanata and LAA farm systems are very nice, as well as LAD bringing heavy pitching out of the minors). I am not sold on the claim that jenkins only played poorly (It wasn't TOO abd though) because he had a bone chip (or whatever it was, don't remember) though. I'm glad they resigned Clark because they need their young guns (Hardy, Weeks, prince) to develop at least one year in the majors before letting him go. Hall is as good of a utility man as I've seen in the majors and now with koskie handling third the entire infield is very good (Prince's defense concerns me though).

I might have just blanked on this, but who plays RF? Lee in Left, Clark in Center, whos in Right? That guy who put up good rookie numbers last year (forgot name)?

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Zito is God » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:47 pm

Steve-o wrote:
Zito is God wrote:I think Weeks is destined to hit 2nd, and think it would be unwise to bat him anywhere else.

Then I think you are in the minority on that one. His coaches think he has 30 HR potential and see him as a possible number three hitter. There has also been talk of a Ricky Henderson type leadoff hitter. I agree with Ned Yost, that Rickie is not as fundamentally sound as other hitters and wont be able to move runners along as much as others. First would be a decent spot for him IMO.

Zito is God wrote:How long is Clark signed for?

2 more years.
Zito is God wrote:Whats hardy projected to do?

Who knows? People in Milw compare him to some kid named Robin who used to play SS there. He walks more than he strikes out. Fundamentally very sound. Long term 2-spot possiblity.
Zito is God wrote:Isn't Clark around 32 now?

33 when the season starts.

I have posted some pretty extensive news about the lineup here. (The Brewers Forum in this site)

Aren't you contradicting yourself by saying hes projected to be a 30 HR 3 hitter but then saying lead off would be decent for him? If you think he hits 30 jacks you don't play him in the leadoff role. :-?

Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Steve-o » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:50 pm

Lee, Geoff Jenkins, and Clark are the OF. You may be thinking of Corey Hart who will be called up when Lee is traded, if he isn't on the team already.

Jenkins injury history scares me.

The point about Weeks is that he is a varied hitter who can bat 1st or 3rd or even 4th. Maybe he will develop more patience and the 2 spot will work out for him.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ender » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:51 pm

I might have just blanked on this, but who plays RF? Lee in Left, Clark in Center, whos in Right? That guy who put up good rookie numbers last year (forgot name)?

Jenkins is in right. Hart and Gross will likely be the bench OF with Hart having the inside track on playtime.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers