Fernando Martinez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Fernando Martinez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fernando Martinez

Postby sublime8414 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:47 pm

Does anyone have an ETA on him or know what type of numbers he's projected to have? He already has a ton of power at 16, will it continue to grow? Any information or opinions would be appreciated
sublime8414
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cristóbal » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:43 pm

yeah, i wish someone knew about him [hybrid]. i drafted him in my auction dynasty with a late pick. i do think all we can do is speculate until he comes to the US.
cristóbal
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hybrid » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:48 pm

Well the kid is only 17 now and has yet to play pro ball, I think it's a tad early to say or give an ETA for him. The Mets thought he was evidently as good as any OF talent in the draft, but I'd say hold off on any such hype ... it's from NY afterall. He is supposed to have a very good hitting approach and his bat/power should be plus tools. Fernando could end up starting in Low A this year as the Mets are close to thinking he can handle it. That's about all the info I got on the kid, after he plays more pro ball it should be easier to get a feel for him.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby thedude » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:53 pm

Every time Gammons oberhypes some prospect in an article, he immediatly becomes the next super star (see hanley Ramirez and Edgar Martinez).

This kid could be good but he is still just 17 and years away. He probably won't reach the majors until 2009 or 2010 at the earliest.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby sublime8414 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:36 pm

I've been collecting some info about him, but it doesn't seem to amount to much. He is actually in the US though, and is expected to play sunday against the puerto rice team for the wbc. and it seems he would be up in '09 if everything goes very well but more like 2010 or 2011. He projects as a corner outfielder.

they claim that he's been playing baseball year round with one of the top coaches in DR. this might speed up his development and allow him to come to the majors earlier ala mcab, pujols, and arod (i'm not comparing him in any way except the possible speed of ascent ot he majors). they claim he has plus power, and hit the ball very well off of other top foriegn players such as Rolando Pascual, Deolis Guerra. both of whom supposedly can touch the 90's. There seems to be a descrepency about his athleticism and his arm. both are have been described as plus, and average.

hopefully that helps anyone else who's interested.
sublime8414
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Members Only Jackets » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:45 am

How did he do Sunday?
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Postby JohnR » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:44 am

when he was signed, didnt they say he couldnt play in the US until he turns 18? (which would be 2007)....i believe i read the Mets gave him money for schooling of some sort...

if he cant play in ML ball this year, push his timetable back another year
The one constant through all the years has been baseball. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again...This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and that could be again.
JohnR
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hybrid » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:50 am

Members Only Jackets wrote:How did he do Sunday?

He looked like he was trying to do way to much. He was swinging hard and trying to hit a HR you could tell, but everytime he came up short and struck out (3 swing and misses). Basically he was overmatched and looked like a 17 year old.

Also he could be pushed to Low A this year, so nope he is allowed to play minor league ball.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby sublime8414 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:54 pm

Martinez did look like he was un-relaxed and trying too hard. He was def overmatched, but i think hybrid overstates it a little much. He was behind a good high inside fastball with two strikes. his swing looks like a proto-type for lefties. He looks like he has a perfect baseball frame as well, just needs to add some muscle. That should come with age.
sublime8414
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:18 pm

I agree on his swing and body type, but his performance was pretty much like I said. He was late on everything and not really close to making good contact. None of the FB's were that good, in fact I believe the one he K'd on was 91mph and was over the plate to hit. Good looking kid, but he was easily out matched at the plate.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball