Debate Schedule - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Debate Schedule

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby baseball6791 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:50 pm

stevelabny wrote:In the spirit of Around the Horn and Pardon the Interruption, you can answer a question the same way and still debate the reasons WHY.

I have to throw my hat in the ring with those who say they can't argue for something they don't believe in.

If I could, I'd be a sleazy salesman or a politician.

This isn't Harvard Law, this is a bunch of sports fans.

Although I am partially inclined to agree, I do understand where giants is coming from, and this is his tournament...we will discuss it again and see what can be done :-/

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BritSox » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:24 pm

Disagree. It's a greater test of argumentative skill to make a strong case for a position you actually disagree with than one you support. Anything else and there is the possibility you agree on everything. If the topics are picked well, both sides should be defensible.

It's not like you'll get 'Kevin Brown is a HoFer'.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Tavish » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:33 pm

BritSox wrote:Disagree. It's a greater test of argumentative skill to make a strong case for a position you actually disagree with than one you support. Anything else and there is the possibility you agree on everything. If the topics are picked well, both sides should be defensible.

Sure both sides of the question are (hopefully) going to be defendable, but I tend to think that most of these pre-canned debates will be pretty bland until we run into a question where both sides feel pretty strongly about their position. That is what usually makes the natural debates that come up in the Cafe good.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby baseball6791 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:55 pm

Tavish wrote:
BritSox wrote:Disagree. It's a greater test of argumentative skill to make a strong case for a position you actually disagree with than one you support. Anything else and there is the possibility you agree on everything. If the topics are picked well, both sides should be defensible.

Sure both sides of the question are (hopefully) going to be defendable, but I tend to think that most of these pre-canned debates will be pretty bland until we run into a question where both sides feel pretty strongly about their position. That is what usually makes the natural debates that come up in the Cafe good.

What BritSox touched on is what we were hoping would be more widespread opinion, although both sides can be seen. What we hope to have as we move deeper into the tournament is more debates where they are topics people feel strongly about...

[size=18]

baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RyanK » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:29 pm

CC.. ill let you chose which ever side you want first for our debate unless its like should the whalers be brought back to the nhl.. you know what side id have to take then ;-D
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby suppasonic » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:45 pm

What if you made a list of debates, and people could pm you whether they were pro or con for it. They could rank like their top 5. Then you could match up people who were pro/con.

Of course, that could take a long time and Im sure it would still end up with people not having what they want. But I think it would still be an improvement.
Dodgers World Champs 2012

GO FORESTERS!!!!!!
suppasonic
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby baseball6791 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:47 pm

suppasonic wrote:What if you made a list of debates, and people could pm you whether they were pro or con for it. They could rank like their top 5. Then you could match up people who were pro/con.

Of course, that could take a long time and Im sure it would still end up with people not having what they want. But I think it would still be an improvement.

That's a good idea, if the debators were active enough to do this every round, it could definitely be done :-?

[size=18]

baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:03 pm

BritSox wrote:
DK wrote:I'm excited to see:

Tavish vs. Patty Cheeks
Pokerplaya vs Amazinz
Stevelabny vs Perlick
Art Vandelay vs GTWMA

I think AV vs GTWMA is the first round gem.

I can't wait for Poker vs Amazinz. Subject: "The Mets Suck. Discuss."

:-b
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby giants! » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:48 pm

I think we will have to make the questions open ended with many choices. What does everyone think about this idea?
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DK » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:13 pm

I want to see a Wrveres vs. Kent debate about Bonds. THAT would be fantastic.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers