*Sleeper/Underated Pitchers* - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

*Sleeper/Underated Pitchers*

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby KOSTAS » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:06 am

How about Jason Marquis...

He has great stuff and a great defense for a ground ball pitcher. The great Cards offense helps him pile up the wins. This could be the year he puts it all together and moves up to the elite.
KOSTAS
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RedBaron » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:45 am

Another undervalued pitcher is Patterson(Was), had him last yr and helped my pitching alot,

If you are in a redraft league be careful with Liriano as he and Baker are fighting for that 5th pitching spot. And talk is Gardy is planning on starting him in the bullpen like he did with Santana, so watch ST to see what takes place. If he gets the 5th spot then look out.

Another pitcher I want this is D.Haren. Would also like A.Reyes(StL) as he had a nice end of the year.
RedBaron
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Jeb's Sleeper List

Postby jebnasty » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:38 pm

John Lackey
Francisco Liriano
Chris Young
Ervin Santana
Joe Blanton
Scott Kazmir (Future CY Award)
Matt Cain (Future CY Award)

Just Jeb's opinion. ;-D
jebnasty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:42 pm

The thing about Oliver Perez is not so much about his talent or upside but his makeup. We've seen a lot of young pitchers flame out early for this reason. See: Rick Ankiel.

I would grab Oliver in the last 5 rounds but I am certain he will gone way before that. I am not willing to take a chance until I know he can repeat 04.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Krunk City King$ » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:11 pm

What about that Cain feller in San Fran?

Matt Cain Previous News

Oct. 1, 2005 - 10:39 am et

Manager Felipe Alou said yesterday that Matt Cain will likely enter next season in the Giants' starting rotation.
"I believe so," Alou said. "I don't need to see anything else. He's a pretty impressive young man." Expect Cain to challenge for the NL Rookie of the Year.
Source: San Francisco Chronicle

Oct. 1, 2005 - 1:47 am et

Matt Cain allowed three runs in 6 1/3 innings tonight in a no-decision against Diamondbacks.
Cain had given up one or two runs in each of his previous six starts. He ends the year 2-1 with a 2.33 ERA in 46 1/3 IP. Since the Giants kept him under 50 innings, he's right at the top of the list of NL Rookie of the Year favorites for 2006.

Sep. 25, 2005 - 6:48 pm et

Matt Cain worked six innings and limited the Rockies to one run and three hits today.
He was left with a no-decision after LaTroy Hawkins gave up the tying run in the seventh, but it was another very impressive performance from the rookie. Todd Helton's homer was the only damage.

Sep. 20, 2005 - 10:27 pm et

Matt Cain limited the Nationals to two runs over seven innings of work tonight but was not involved in the decision.
He gave up four hits, walked two, and struck out seven. Cain's 23/14 K/BB ratio in 34 innings of work isn't that impressive, but allowing just 15 hits during that span certainly is. He's 2-1 with a 2.12 ERA in five starts for the Giants. He won't be able to sustain a hit rate that low forever, so he'll need to improve controlling his pitches if he's going to be a significant asset next year.

Sep. 14, 2005 - 7:38 pm et

Matt Cain allowed two runs and walked six in six innings today in a no-decision against the Padres.
Cain's command figured to lead to problems, but he managed to pitch out of jams today. He has a 2.00 ERA after four starts.

Sep. 10, 2005 - 12:58 am et

Matt Cain pitched a two-hitter and struck out eight tonight in a 2-1 victory over the Cubs tonight.
Cain was good, maybe even very good. The Cubs, though, made him great. He was forced to throw just 105 pitches in the contest. After Jerry Hairston Jr. led off the bottom of the ninth with a single, Neifi Perez, Derrek Lee and Jeromy Burnitz all went down on the first pitch, with Perez and Lee hitting lazy popups. We don't want to take too much away from Cain, who has a great future, but it was truly a pathetic showing by manager Dusty Baker's team.

Sep. 4, 2005 - 7:39 pm et

Matt Cain limited the Diamondbacks to one run in seven innings today to earn his first major league victory.
He gave up three hits, walked one and struck out four while throwing 101 pitches. This is what the Giants were hoping for when they decided to add the 20-year-old Cain to their rotation. It's likely that he'll mix in some rough starts, but he's talented enough to beat anyone on days when he has his good curveball and command of his fastball.

Aug. 30, 2005 - 1:08 am et

Matt Cain allowed two runs and three hits in five innings tonight to lose to the Rockies in his major league debut.
That Cain was tough to hit came as no surprise, but he walked four and struck out just two in a 102-pitch outing. The Giants plan to keep him in their rotation for the rest of the season, perhaps giving him a little value in NL-only leagues. He might not be truly ready until mid-2006.

Aug. 26, 2005 - 9:25 pm et

Giants purchased the contract RHP Matt Cain from Triple-A Fresno.
Cain, who was 10-5 with a 4.39 ERA, 118 H and 176/73 K/BB in 145 2/3 IP for Fresno, will replace Brett Tomko in the rotation and start Monday against the Rockies. NL-only leaguers needing to gamble can take a chance on him. Odds are that his mediocre command will make him inconsistent at first.

Aug. 24, 2005 - 2:10 pm et

Matt Cain tossed six scoreless innings and fanned seven for Triple-A Fresno yesterday.
One of his best outings of the season. Cain is expected to join the Giants next month. He might not have any fantasy value then, but keeper leaguers with the opportunity to grab him should do so.

????
:-?
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:44 pm

Davis, when you consider he's leaving his prime (he'll turn 31 this season), and you factor in the fact that his WHIP hurts a ton due to the amount of innings he throws (1.30+ over 220 innings adds up) and I think he's properly valued.

Pitchers prime starts at age 29 and ends around age 33, he's right in the middle of his prime. His whip last year was 1.30 mostly because he had a slow start, it was 1.28 the year before and 1.27 after the all star break. He's going about where he should in most of my drafts but he still sometimes slips more than he should.

As for Lackey his stats don't show his ERA is where it should have been last year I agree. However his second half showed strong improvement posting a 1.24 WHIP and that was with a 33% hit rate which is likely to go down. He's right in the middle of the normal growth years for pitchers at age 27 so I think he'll still improve on last year some. I expect him to post about the same ERA next year but with a lower WHIP.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby thrash » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:14 am

bump
GO SOX
thrash
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:35 am

Morris DOM rate keeps dropping, stay away.

Chacin has a low DOM rate, and a lucky hr/f rate.

Chacon was really lucky, 26% hit rate %, and lucky hr/f rate.

Garland was lucky with hit rate % as well.

I like Bedard, Cabrera, Myers.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby NZF » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:27 am

The thing with Myers is that his value does come down due to pitching half his games at Citizens.

Blanton will regress bigtime this season, I'm talking Brandon Webb sophomore like regression, I would stay well away.

Pitchers I'm targeting in all my drafts this season and can be had in the late rounds are

Derek Lowe, Kelvim Escobar and Brad Penny
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Music2004Man » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:35 am

New Zealand Fan wrote:The thing with Myers is that his value does come down due to pitching half his games at Citizens.

Blanton will regress bigtime this season, I'm talking Brandon Webb sophomore like regression, I would stay well away.

Pitchers I'm targeting in all my drafts this season and can be had in the late rounds are

Derek Lowe, Kelvim Escobar and Brad Penny

Even playing in Citizens Bank Park Myers took a big step forward last year. He struggled alittle at the end of the year but I attribute this to not being used to the number of innings he had on his arm. I see him taking another step forward this year.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers