*Sleeper/Underated Pitchers* - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

*Sleeper/Underated Pitchers*

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The G.O.A.T » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:18 pm

The guy that seems to be getting no love is Brett Myers,,,,if he puts it all together we are looking at 18 wins,,,225 k's 3.89 era 1.12 whip,,
The G.O.A.T
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DK » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:37 pm

The G.O.A.T wrote:The guy that seems to be getting no love is Brett Myers,,,,if he puts it all together we are looking at 18 wins,,,225 k's 3.89 era 1.12 whip,,

I think 18 wins and 225 K's are unrealistic, but I can see 15 wins, 185 K's and a high-3 ERA. Although IMO his WHIP wil be more in the 1.2-1.3 range.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby patterson4president » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:12 am

some good picks by all IMO, i like the myers mention (though i wouldn't call him a sleeper or undervalued) only 4 pitchers in all of baseball struck out more batters last year.

ollie perez is done....

chris young/bedard/cabrerra/liriano i like
"it smells like updog in here"
patterson4president
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby J.C.Fighter » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:29 am

patterson4president wrote:some good picks by all IMO, i like the myers mention (though i wouldn't call him a sleeper or undervalued) only 4 pitchers in all of baseball struck out more batters last year.

ollie perez is done....

chris young/bedard/cabrerra/liriano i like

Why do you say that?
One bad season and he's already done?
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rippz » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:03 am

ollie perez is done....

Makes me sick. He is still very young and some top prospects getting called up now are his age or very close. The difference between Oliver and a prospect pitcher like Cain or other highly talked about guys is that Oliver HAS pitched a CY Young type season already.

Imagine if he would have put up similar numbers to 200+ Ks a sub 3 era and almost a sub 1.00 whip... He would be a Top 5 pitcher going into this years draft and would be picked up easily in the first 3 rounds but because he sucked it up last year he is a last round type of pick.

How do people forget a monster season from such a young player?

I would love to have him on my team.....
rippz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby WittyC » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:42 am

As was mentioned, I absolutely love Chris Young this year. He will likely be on my roster in every league I participate in this year.

As a really deep sleeper, I like Sergio Mitre in Florida, assuming he gets a spot in the rotation. He really threw some excellent games for the Cubs last year (along with some pretty awful ones). I like the change of venues to help him out, but I'm still a little nervous about Florida's infield, considering all his stuff drops.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mweir145 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:49 am

Shawn Chacon had a great end to the season for the Yankees last year, and I've seen him go undrafted in some leagues. If he manages to pitch even half as well as he did last year for them, he'll surely pick up some wins. Good sleeper.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:54 am

Very funny how quickly the fantasy community writes players off. If Oliver has a great 1st half, come the break, these naysayers will all be hiding, or claiming they 'called it'. I'm torn on him myself, but I feel there's an equal likelihood that he could return to the form we've seen as seeing him bomb again. With the word 'upside' that's thrown around so much, it's a joke to see Perez looked over, if upside is what you're looking for.

Now, I haven't taken the time to read through the thread fully, but I think Joe Blanton is a big candidate to break out and shock some people.

As for overlooked, Doug Davis continues to fly under the radar it seems, as does John Lackey, whose numbers speak for themselves. Dontrelle Willis appears to be far too undervalued from what i've seen this year as well; even if he's one of the 9 best hitters in Florida.

Bonus: I said it last year, was ripped for it, and then the naysayers disappeared, never to be heard from again. I'll say it again. Draft Brian Fuentes. You'll be happy you did. You'll get him late, you'll get real nice stats from him, and he'll help you win. Expect 30+ saves, 100+ K's, a sub-3.00 ERA, and a WHIP hovering around 1.20. Now compare that to where guys like BJ Ryan and Chad Cordero are being drafted, with owners citing the 30+ saves and 100+ K's as their reasons for taking them where they do. Again, draft Fuentes. You'll be glad you did.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 375)

Postby davidmarver » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:22 am

As for overlooked, Doug Davis continues to fly under the radar it seems, as does John Lackey, whose numbers speak for themselves.

I have to disagree with Lackey. Lackey's LD% last year was third worst in the AL to Grienke and Lima. His ERA is terribly flukish when you consider that he allowed an abnormally low amount of homeruns and when you consider his WHIP wasn't good (1.33) and that he allowed over 3 walks per nine innings.

Davis, when you consider he's leaving his prime (he'll turn 31 this season), and you factor in the fact that his WHIP hurts a ton due to the amount of innings he throws (1.30+ over 220 innings adds up) and I think he's properly valued.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby patterson4president » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:40 am

i think ollie is done b/cuz he simply can't find the strike zone, it has become a mental block that i don't think he will get over, ala chuck knoblock and others before and after him....

is he worth a late round flier, yes. would i EXPECT a good season, no.
"it smells like updog in here"
patterson4president
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers