MLB.com TV - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

MLB.com TV

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby acsguitar » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:19 pm

They don't trace your IP and do the credit card do they? Cause they could tell if you were using a cities internet.

Anyways I might go radio for work access as well...I'd get fired for TV at work.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:36 pm

Yeah they do. There are two forms of blackout for MLB.TV. The permanent one which is based on the billing info and then the blackout that occurs when you log into their server. :-/
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby davidmarver » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:00 pm

Amazinz wrote:AFAIK yes it is based on the zip code of the billing address which will be the address associated with your credit card.

On-demand viewing
Because of MLB's broadcast agreements, there are blackout restrictions for live games involving your local team. The MLB.TV technology determines your IP address, so if you're a Cleveland Indians fan within a radius that offers your local cable affiliate's TV coverage of the Tribe, a blackout would apply for that game. But all other MLB.TV games that day are available to you, and despite the blackout, an MLB.TV subscription would still let you view the full broadcast of any Indians game in 2006 after the conclusion of each game. It's an especially fun way to find yourself in the crowd after going to a game at Jacobs Field, or to see any highlights when you want.

Maybe they changed it?
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:44 pm

They may have changed it, not sure. But they didn't really announce it when they added it last year so I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby beltrans_boy » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:42 pm

Last year, it was based entirely off IP addresses. That's why certain users could bypass the blackout using a proxy server. I used a CC with a So Cal address, and I got every single Dodgers game except when they were playing the Giants (which are broadcasted on FSN).

Well worth the money, IMO. You shouldn't have a problem watching the Padres. In SB, I would imagine only Dodgers games would be blacked out...

;-D
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby davidmarver » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:35 pm

beltrans_boy wrote:Last year, it was based entirely off IP addresses. That's why certain users could bypass the blackout using a proxy server. I used a CC with a So Cal address, and I got every single Dodgers game except when they were playing the Giants (which are broadcasted on FSN).

Well worth the money, IMO. You shouldn't have a problem watching the Padres. In SB, I would imagine only Dodgers games would be blacked out...

;-D

I'm not even sure if Dodger games will be blacked out.

Santa Barbara is past LA county and past Ventura county. We'll see, but I'm certainly excited for the season to start. :)
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Mustangs989 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:53 pm

davidmarver wrote:
beltrans_boy wrote:Last year, it was based entirely off IP addresses. That's why certain users could bypass the blackout using a proxy server. I used a CC with a So Cal address, and I got every single Dodgers game except when they were playing the Giants (which are broadcasted on FSN).

;-D

Santa Barbara is past LA county and past Ventura county. We'll see, but I'm certainly excited for the season to start. :)

Usually they will post what teams are blacked out depending on your zip code, I'd make sure to check that before you decide to buy it. I know last year I was blacked out from 6 different teams so I likely won't be buying it this year.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby davidmarver » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:15 pm

Mustangs989 wrote:
davidmarver wrote:

;-D

Usually they will post what teams are blacked out depending on your zip code, I'd make sure to check that before you decide to buy it. I know last year I was blacked out from 6 different teams so I likely won't be buying it this year.

I just checked online and I'm blacked out by Dodgers and Angels games. Padres are safe though. Looks like I'm buying. ;-D
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Phatferd » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:44 pm

Basically if you get the stations that broadcast their games on TV, you will be blacked out.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:06 pm

Phatferd wrote:Basically if you get the stations that broadcast their games on TV, you will be blacked out.

Yea that an easy way to look at it
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk