MLB.com TV - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

MLB.com TV

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

MLB.com TV

Postby davidmarver » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:15 pm

I go to college in Santa Barbara so I will miss the first few months of Padres games. It is therefore necessary that I somehow get to watch the game so I figure MLB.com TV is the way to go. If someone could give me some input on whether or not that is the way to go that'd be awesome. Also, I'm currently using a loaner computer (mine is in the shop for 6-8 weeks)...does MLB.com TV require you download a program to use it and if so can I download that for more than one computer since I will have to halfway through April. Thanks, David.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:21 pm

I used it all last year and it rules the world...baseball all the freakin time.

Anyways if you live around San Diego you probably will have the games all blacked out.

Make sure to check that out because I don't give any rockies games and I live in Denver.

However, some people live in like kentucky and then don't get reds, pirates, indians etc..

So check the blackouts.

other then that it only uses windows media player..but you do want the most up to date version for it to work correctly.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Re: MLB.com TV

Postby perlick29 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:22 pm

davidmarver wrote:I go to college in Santa Barbara so I will miss the first few months of Padres games. It is therefore necessary that I somehow get to watch the game so I figure MLB.com TV is the way to go. If someone could give me some input on whether or not that is the way to go that'd be awesome. Also, I'm currently using a loaner computer (mine is in the shop for 6-8 weeks)...does MLB.com TV require you download a program to use it and if so can I download that for more than one computer since I will have to halfway through April. Thanks, David.

Definitely the way to go.

You dont have to download any software as long as you have WMP.

You can actually watch two games at once if you open up an IE and a Firefox browser.

I've used it for 2 years now, and it is definitely the thing you want if you are from home although for whatever reason, Padres games sometimes get blacked out.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:04 pm

I agree with the guys above. It's definitely worth it if you can't get the satellite/cable package. I actually had both last year and am considering doing it again. The price is a little steep.

acs brings up a good point about the blackouts. If Santa Barbara is in the Padres viewing area you won't get the games. Two years ago it was very easy to circumvent by using a proxy server but last year they started blacking out the accounts based on the zip code of the billing address.

So you can still do it but you need to do two things: 1. Give the money to an out-of-state relative and have them purchase the package for you. 2. When you watch the game you need to log into your account through a proxy server or web anonymizer because they will still black you out based on the geo-location of your IP.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:10 pm

Amazinz wrote:I agree with the guys above. It's definitely worth it if you can't get the satellite/cable package. I actually had both last year and am considering doing it again. The price is a little steep.

acs brings up a good point about the blackouts. If Santa Barbara is in the Padres viewing area you won't get the games. Two years ago it was very easy to circumvent by using a proxy server but last year they started blacking out the accounts based on the zip code of the billing address.

So you can still do it but you need to do two things: 1. Give the money to an out-of-state relative and have them purchase the package for you. 2. When you watch the game you need to log into your account through a proxy server or web anonymizer because they will still black you out based on the geo-location of your IP.

i recommend having a family member or friend in a state where you don't care about a team or who they play to buy it for you.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby ironman » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:39 pm

MLB.tv is sweet but the price has always put me off. Nearly every single Cubs game is televised here anyway. I have used MLB Gameday Audio the last three years and its worth every penny. ;-D Its great to be able to stream games when I'm at work.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby Phatferd » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:41 pm

ironman wrote:MLB.tv is sweet but the price has always put me off. Nearly every single Cubs game is televised here anyway. I have used MLB Gameday Audio the last three years and its worth every penny. ;-D Its great to be able to stream games when I'm at work.

How much is it? I went to their website the other day because I am in the same boat as Marver and I couldn't find anything. Last year I did the cable package, but I am going home for the summer so that will be a waste.

I am thinking of getting the "slingbox" and doing it that way, but that becomes really expensive.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MMoNeY24 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:44 pm

I heard about the blackouts last year, but what's the purpose of blacking out someone in the area from a team? I'm not sure I get why they do it.

I was thinking about doing the $15 a month thing last year to try it for a couple of months, but didn't get around to it. I'll most likely try it out later in the season when pennant races and fantasy leagues heat up to track other teams.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby dyuen87 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:45 pm

I think it's $80 for the entire season. Does anyone know how fast the games are loaded onto the website after they finish? Since Yankees/Mets games are blacked out, I was thinking about just watching another game, then flipping to that one when it's done. :-o
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby davidmarver » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:46 pm

Santa Barbara is an hour north of LA...nowhere close to the Padres blackout area, so no worries there.

I think I'll be getting this then...thanks for the help guys.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk