Creating a Keeper League - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Creating a Keeper League

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Creating a Keeper League

Postby jsphlly » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:28 pm

Hello, I'm the commish for a 10 team standard yahoo 5x5. We're going to make our league a keeper league starting this year. What are some good ways to structure keeper leagues to allow team building but also not to jam up the premier players?

I was anticipating doing something like - Keep 1 player drafted rounds 1-6, 1 player drafted rounds 7-14, 1 player drafted rounds 15-21, 1 player you traded for, 1 player you pick up off waiver wire.

Thoughts, opinions, comments? Thanks in advance
jsphlly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:36 pm

Don't make it so complicated for your own sake if not for everyone else's. Allow them to keep 8 players. In a few years, a team or two might be loaded up via trades and good free agent pickups and you may have to re-balance the league by cutting the keeper count down to 3 or 4. No big deal.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Matthias » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:50 pm

the being able to keep one player you traded for is a little bit goofy, but the rest sound ok.

other things/methods to consider:
can you keep a keeper forever? do they always stay at the same value? e.g., if you drafted pujols in the 7th round in 2000, is he forever and after your 7-14 keeper?
do you forfeit your draft pick in the same round that you drafted your keeper?
this is even more complexity and is completely off the cuff, but you could also do something like: you are allowed a total keeper value of 15, where keeper value is equal to: (10 - round you drafted the keeper in) which would let you keep a 1st rounder (9), a 6th rounder (4), and an 8th rounder (2) and set some max on the # of players like 4 or 5 so people don't just keep everyone drafted after the tenth round. or make the minimum value equal to one, maybe. and then you could have the keeper value increase each year by a designated amount so that the keeper value of a 1st round pick is 9 the first year, 10 the second year you keep them, 11 the third, etc., etc. that way it forces on choices rather than just being an arbitrary line in the sand.

personally, i'm a big fan of flexibile but fair systems and not something that's so loaded up that playing out each year becomes pointless. which sounds like something you're trying for.

let me know if you want any more ideas.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:55 pm

On 25 man roster, we keep 5 plus 1 rookie/late pick. We experimented with less and more over the years but 6 seems to be the right number. It gives teams to build a good core while leaving some attractive players on waivers heading into the draft the following year.

Late pick is a player drafted and kept on the roster the entire season from rounds 20-25. This forces people to study hard on sleepers and a great incentive for getting someone right.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby jsphlly » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:06 pm

Allow them to keep 8 players.

While I like the simplicity of that, its already been voiced that my managers don't want that. Reason being, they don't want all the top tier players locked up. Nothing has been decided yet, so I'll bring up this idea for the simplistic value.

the being able to keep one player you traded for is a little bit goofy

I think I understand what you mean here, but the reason I like this, coupled with the fact that you can only keep one guy from the early rounds is - If come August you're basically out of it, you could for example - Trade your 3rd and 4th round picks, who you cannot keep anyways, to the guy in second place for a 1st or 2nd rounder basically enabling yourself to keep 2 guys drafted in those early rounds. Does that still sound goofey? I'm new at this, lol.

can you keep a keeper forever? do they always stay at the same value? e.g., if you drafted pujols in the 7th round in 2000, is he forever and after your 7-14 keeper?

This I hadn't really thought about. Lets say this year I draft Rick Weeks in round 8. Next year I keep him as my round 7-14 guy. What are the rules for keeping a keeper the following year? Any suggestions?

do you forfeit your draft pick in the same round that you drafted your keeper?

This I've been going back and forth on. I kinda like the idea of having to sacrifice that pick to keep the guy, but the way it could actually play out scares me. I think this will be something I get the league to vote on.
jsphlly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:07 pm

Use an Excel spreadsheet!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Matthias » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:26 pm

jsphlly wrote:

I think I understand what you mean here, but the reason I like this, coupled with the fact that you can only keep one guy from the early rounds is - If come August you're basically out of it, you could for example - Trade your 3rd and 4th round picks, who you cannot keep anyways, to the guy in second place for a 1st or 2nd rounder basically enabling yourself to keep 2 guys drafted in those early rounds. Does that still sound goofey? I'm new at this, lol.

it just means you could have players swapping 1st rounders that are basically identical (say, manny and ortiz) just to say, "well, we traded them, so they're keepers." it doesn't do anything meaningful in terms of keeper restrictions or go to underlying player/draft value, which all of your other ones do.

jsphlly wrote:

This I hadn't really thought about. Lets say this year I draft Rick Weeks in round 8. Next year I keep him as my round 7-14 guy. What are the rules for keeping a keeper the following year? Any suggestions?

that's why i suggested something along the lines of the keeper value earlier. but if you wanted to keep your current system, i'd make a rule that someone is considered to have been drafted two rounds earlier every year they're kept. so weeks in the 8th counts as an 8th round keeper this year, 6th rounder next year, 4th the next, etc.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ximan » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:35 pm

Our league keeps 6 players and has a minor league system.

For the 6 keepers, you can keep anyone. However, you are limited to a contract system. You can only keep a player for 3 straight years. After that time, the player will go back into the draft. We allow each team one bonus contract of 5 years. However, if you use this you must keep the player for 5 years. He can never be dropped.

There's a little more to it, but that is the basics.
ximan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BritSox » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:43 pm

Matthias wrote:

that's why i suggested something along the lines of the keeper value earlier. but if you wanted to keep your current system, i'd make a rule that someone is considered to have been drafted two rounds earlier every year they're kept. so weeks in the 8th counts as an 8th round keeper this year, 6th rounder next year, 4th the next, etc.

Yeah, I like the idea of a player's cost to keep escalating year-on-year. One round per year could work too. Once more than one player hits first round, you have to cut one or other. Smart teams trade away the guy before that happens, replacing him with cheaper talent. For example trading A-Rod at the end of a season in which Pujols will hit first round as a keeper, having drafted him lower as a rookie, in exchange for say a fourth round Utley.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby jsphlly » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:28 pm

Matthias wrote:
jsphlly wrote:

it just means you could have players swapping 1st rounders that are basically identical (say, manny and ortiz) just to say, "well, we traded them, so they're keepers." it doesn't do anything meaningful in terms of keeper restrictions or go to underlying player/draft value, which all of your other ones do.

Well put. I'm trying to achieve a way that a manager who is out of it can achieve an advantage for next year. Something like in my above example, but without the loop hole you've pointed out. Any suggestions?

jsphlly wrote:

Great idea. Better explains your points system as well, I will be bringing both ideas up to my managers as possible routes.

Thanks for all the input so far.
jsphlly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers