Platooning Players - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Platooning Players

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Platooning Players

Postby stlcardsfan » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:36 am

Could someone sell me on the idea of platooning players. It doesn't seem like it would make that much difference.

For instance, suppose you put in an OF who hits lefties well because a left-handed pitcher is starting the game. However, the SP is likely to last only around 5 or 6 innings and a right-handed reliever may come in, so basically 1/3rd or more of his ABs will be against a righty. It seems like you barely gain anything out of using match-ups like that. Does it make more sense to just start the better player or the one who's on a hot streak instead of worrying about how well he hits against the starter? Just wondering.
stlcardsfan
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:09 am

I think the best way for this to work is with a lefty hitter or set of lefty hitters. Since RH pitchers make up 65-70% of pitchers, these guys face a righty more than half of the time (often if a lefty comes in, they get pinch hit, so you retain the platoon advantage, but lose some ABs) Since these guys often have a big split in performance, it makes it worthwhile.

A home/away platoon is also workable, preferably a guy that is still decent away.

It never works to have a right platoon,
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:27 am

I generally do not like to platoon players. It's too much of a headache and too much management. You end up being wrong a lot of times also.

Easiest platoon is home/away if you have a COL or TEX player.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby perlick29 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:57 pm

Yoda wrote:I generally do not like to platoon players. It's too much of a headache and too much management. You end up being wrong a lot of times also.

Easiest platoon is home/away if you have a COL or TEX player.

That's pretty much what I was going to say. Take one of your weaker position players and try to pair him up with a Rockies guy.

For instance last year if you had a Mike Lowell or Bill Mueller stuck as your 3rd baseman because you waited too long, you could pair him with Garret Atkins.

Or you could have grabbed any of the Rockies outfielders. Or even the most effective before he got hurt would have been to draft Clint Barmes behind a weaker SS.

It is a lot of Micro-managing, but it can be an effective strategy, one that I do like. Last year I did the Lowell/Atkins thing for about 2 months before giving up on Lowell and trading for Chad Tracy.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:06 pm

the home/away platoon is a solid idea. it works well with rockies players or if you have some that plays in a cavernous home stadium (like a jose guillen type that you might want to bench for home games).

then i usually plug in the guy who is on a hot streak or whoever is going to give me the category that i need for that week.

i dont often do that micromanage lefty/righty matchup thing. thats mostly at the end of the week if its pretty close, if there is a clear discernable trend, and i'm bored at work.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Return to Baseball Leftovers