NL Only Keeper League choices - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

NL Only Keeper League choices

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

NL Only Keeper League choices

Postby Kerg » Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:35 am

I'm in a 5x5 NL only keeper league. 10 team, $260 cap, 23 players, keep from 5-13 on draft day. Any input would be appreciated.

C(2x) - Lieberthal $16, Wiki Gonzalez $5.

I'm 50/50 on Lieberthal at this point. In the draft, he will probably go for the 12-18 range but, there are going to be alot of catchers available (Kendall,Lopez,Pudge, Piazza, among the other lots of 1-3$ priced guys). I'm leaning towards releasing him just because the $16 might come in handy. Wiki, I'm not even considering keeping.

CI (3x) - Helton $35, A. Ramirez $13, OPEN. I lost Durazo at $5 to the American league. I don't see any reason to NOT keep these guys although, I'm wondering how Helton's back is going to be.

MI (3x) - J. Uribe $5, J. Rollins $10, OPEN. Marlon Anderson is gone for me. (not that I would even keep him). Keeping Rollins @ $10 but, Uribe?

OF (5x) - Kearns $5, Edmonds $15, Kotsay $8, Trammell $3, G. Jenkins $23. I'm keeping Kearns, Edmonds, Kotsay and Trammell and dropping Jenkins. I should be able to pick up a stud OF to make this a respectable group although, if Trammell doesn't see time in SD . . even so, I can put up with his .240 BA with 20 HRs for 3 bucks.. Jenkins.. I'm sure he will go for the $15 - $20 range so.. guess I'll have to see how his foot is.

U (1x) - B. Larson $5. An unknown but, looks like he might get some playing time or even a start. If he starts, I'll keep him.. if not..

Pitchers.

This is where it is ugly

P (9x) - All $5 contracts - Mike Williams, B. Looper, Eaton, Saarloos, Thomson (GONE AL), W. Franklin, D. Stark, J. Marquis, J. Wayne. If Williams and Looper close out games, I'll be happy to have 2 closers @ $5 a piece.. as for the starters.. ugh.. I'm leaning towards taking a chance on Eaton and or Saarloos or Wayne but.. as much as I'm ok in my offensive choices, I'm scratching my head on this one. I had traded my high priced pitchers for lower contracts last year after I had faded to 6th and couldn't get into the winning bracket so.. that's how my pitching staff is like it is now.. blah..
Kerg

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby mkoss » Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:56 am

Hi. Glad to have an NL only keeper to help with :)

I agree with everything you said except Lieberthal, I would dump him. If you think he'll go for around the same amount in the auction, then you could always get him again, and by dropping him you gain the flexibility. Only if you think he'll go for $20+ should you keep him.

You're right, your pitching looks nasty, but that's how it goes after trading for next year; believe me, I know! I would hold on to Williams and Looper, but if you keep Williams, you'll need to pick up a good ERA + WHIP guy later. Also, Marquis would be a good guy for $5, although he has suspect ERA and WHIP too.

Let us know what you do.

Michael.
From the official rulebook of baseball: "Baseball is a game played between two teams of nine players each." Therefore, baseball is a game played only in the National League.
mkoss
Projections Project
Projections Project

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby yeyo44 » Tue Feb 04, 2003 1:21 pm

Keep Williams, he saved alomst all of Pittsburgh's wins, kearns your going to keep and thats good, he wil be very good this year in the new ball park.
yeyo44
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Frinkinator » Tue Feb 04, 2003 1:54 pm

I also agree with all of your offense assesments.
As for your SP, hold onto Saarloos and dump the rest.
It is unlikely that Marquis, Eaton, Wayne and the rest will go for over $5 in your auction.
Frinkinator
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Kerg » Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:44 pm

I have a standing offer of M. Morris ($3) for Eaton, Larson and Kotsay . . . not sure though even though I'm getting a definite known quantity in Morris and giving up Larson/Eaton. I know to win you need some of those fill in players to produce. Hoping Larson is that guy but, maybe reaching.

Eaton's last starts in September were pretty good last year..

Ahhh.. the joys of keeper leagues. :-D
Striving for mediocrity in life
Kerg
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

NL Only - me too!

Postby ScurvyDog » Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:03 pm

More NL Only guys - cool. I would keep:

Lieberthal
Helton
Ramirez
Rollins
Kearns
Edmonds
Eaton
Williams
Looper

Good luck!
"Life is tough. But it is even tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
ScurvyDog

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:27 pm

Someone is offering a $3 Morris? You better grab that before they change their mind. Larson and Eaton are no guarantees to even earn their $5. Even if they do, Morris should earn $20+ in a nl only.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Silentmist » Wed Feb 05, 2003 12:53 am

jump all over that deal, and next time at least use some lube on hte poor guy
Silentmist

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Return to Baseball Leftovers