Mora
C Jones
Tracy
Blalock
Cantu
Batista- late round sleeper; steals half a dozen bases too
Atkins
Freel
A Boone- I touted him as a 2nd half sleeper last season and still has potential to give us another underrated 20-20 season
Beltre
Rolen- was terrible even before collision; injury prone and career numbers not great
Glaus

Nomar

VERY deep after the first 6.
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TB13 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:34 am

Personal thoughts:

1. Chipper deserves equal billing w/ Chavez.
2. No love towards Blalock. If you draft him and then employ him in a platoon situation where you only use him when righties are pitching, you have yourself much better numbers than if you bat him against everyone. To continue that line of thought, if you only bat him at home against righties, your #'s look even better. To take it a step further, if you have a platoon of Blalock and Atkins, when all is said and done, you may have one of the best 3b production numbers outside of anyone not named A-Rod.
3. Batista is ranked too high and Atkins deserves to be moved up a few spots.
4. If you can like people like Batista, how can you not like Glaus? Yes his ba is bad and he will strike out, but he will also help your power numbers out.
5. Rolen WAAAAY too low.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ender » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:39 am

The most obvious problems are Chavez should be in the same tier as Ensberg and Blalock. Blalock should be over Tracy who simply isn't provne. Glaus obviously should be over half the guys in that list even with the injury concerns. I would be scared to death if Batista, Atkins, Freel or Boone were my 3B. 3B is deep at the top but the bottom falls out fast.

Also I'd rather have Edwin Encarnacion than Freel who still doesn't have a position and hasn't proven he can hit or stay off the booze.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby ironman » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:43 am

Yeah I don't even have Batista in my top 25. His AVG is terrible and who knows what he'll be like after being gone in Japan for a year.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby TB13 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:42 pm

Ender wrote:I would be scared to death if Batista, Atkins, Freel or Boone were my 3B. 3B is deep at the top but the bottom falls out fast.

I agree on all but Atkins. So long as you can platoon him, you can pretty much start him during all Coors games. He makes for one-half of a very nice platoon.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Iconoclastic » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:37 pm

TB13 wrote:Personal thoughts:

1. Chipper deserves equal billing w/ Chavez.
2. No love towards Blalock. If you draft him and then employ him in a platoon situation where you only use him when righties are pitching, you have yourself much better numbers than if you bat him against everyone. To continue that line of thought, if you only bat him at home against righties, your #'s look even better. To take it a step further, if you have a platoon of Blalock and Atkins, when all is said and done, you may have one of the best 3b production numbers outside of anyone not named A-Rod.
3. Batista is ranked too high and Atkins deserves to be moved up a few spots.
4. If you can like people like Batista, how can you not like Glaus? Yes his ba is bad and he will strike out, but he will also help your power numbers out.
5. Rolen WAAAAY too low.

Your platoon ideas are sound.

On Chipper, Glaus, and Rolen, they are greater health risks than you estimate. Batista has played full seasons the last several years.
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby J_Cuz » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:25 pm

I would take Batista over all of those mentioned players except Glaus and maybe G'parra.

Low average will be worth 30 hrs, 85 rbi and 10sb.

He's a steady backup and can clearly hit homeruns in the majors. In fact, with his unique stance there is little reason to believe that his power production will leave him.
www.igglephans.com
J_Cuz
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers