Not concerned about WHIP and ERA - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Not concerned about WHIP and ERA

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Not concerned about WHIP and ERA

Postby MotorCityKitties » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:46 am

I'm in a H2H league, 10 teams 5x5 (C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, 4OF's CI, MI, 3SP, 3RP, 4P, 8BN)

My main competition has taken Santana and Peavy with his first two picks. My first two picks were Cabrera and Bay.

We are doing an extended time crawling draft. I'm friends with everyone in the league and I'm sensing that a SP run is about to start. I really don't want to get involved because I want to focus on offense, in part due to the extra offensive positions.

As of now here is my plan. I draft mostly offense for the first 10 rounds. I will set my sights on guys like Oliver Perez and Lackey (guys with good K #'s at the expense of Era and/or Whip). The league has 8 bench spots so I was also thinking of using 7or8 of these spots on pitchers. This way I am stacked offensively and I can compete in W's, K's and saves. That's another thing, since ERA and Whip aren't much of a concern I can draft some of the cheap closers.

I wouldn't say that I am punting Whip and ERA, I'm just not concerned about it. Then I make up for my other pitching deficiencies by the sheer mass of my pitching squad. I know that any team can use all their bench on pitching, but this will inflate their WHIP and ERA as well.

Any thoughts on this? Is it a good method to combat the pitching run that is about to take place?
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Jury » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:53 am

Verrry interesting to me 8-o

I'm not sure if it'll work or not, but that's what I'd like opinions on as well. I am very interested in this, as my league has more categories which may further increase the effectiveness of this strategy.

Here are my cats:
R, H, HR, RBI, SB, BB, K, TB, OPS

W, SV, BB, K, ERA, WHIP, K/BB, K/9

Do you think it would be an effective strategy in 5x5 and/or in my league? It would allow us to stack bats throughout most of the early and mid stages of the draft.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MotorCityKitties » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:58 am

The Jury wrote:Verrry interesting to me 8-o

I'm not sure if it'll work or not, but that's what I'd like opinions on as well. I am very interested in this, as my league has more categories which may further increase the effectiveness of this strategy.

Here are my cats:
R, H, HR, RBI, SB, BB, K, TB, OPS

W, SV, BB, K, ERA, WHIP, K/BB, K/9

Do you think it would be an effective strategy in 5x5 and/or in my league? It would allow us to stack bats throughout most of the early and mid stages of the draft.

Your league setup looks like it would favor having the expensive, big K pitchers and high K rate closers. I dont think you would want to try this in your league.

There are more batting categories though. Is that what you are getting at?
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Jury » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:07 am

Upon reflection, your strategy will work best in a deep league in which there is a very low chance of dominating most categories, but a chance for a well-built team to be competitive in most of the cats.

The more diluted the talent pool gets, the more effective this strategy becomes because you can load up the sticks and get the pitchers for your system.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MotorCityKitties » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:24 am

The Jury wrote:Upon reflection, your strategy will work best in a deep league in which there is a very low chance of dominating most categories, but a chance for a well-built team to be competitive in most of the cats.

The more diluted the talent pool gets, the more effective this strategy becomes because you can load up the sticks and get the pitchers for your system.

I agree. Part of the reason why I thought of this was due to the 8 bench spots.

I'm going to see how the next couple rounds go and if people are getting SP crazy I'm going to do it. 5 SP's have been taken out of 21 picks. If this rate continues, this theory might just work.
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ukrneal » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:04 am

It's all about value. In a 10 team league, this should work, because there will be plenty of pitchers ranked 100+ that will beat their ranking (whether your own or yahoo's). Since it is H2H, you can afford to be weak at a couple cats if you can assure week in and week out that you will dominate others.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MotorCityKitties » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:34 am

Thanks ukrneal,

any other opinions?
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:24 am

With the OP's league setup I think this would do very well...the other person that posted that had the K/BB and K/9 as categories...not so much.

By the way, Carlos Silva is the ULTIMATE K/BB stud. While his K/9 was only 3.4 (that just sucks) his K/BB was 7.9. To put that in perspective, Johan Santana's K/BB was only 5.3. Silva just flat out doesn't walk people.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby pangbones » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:51 am

Do you change lineups daily or weekly? If it's daily then this strategy will work if you have the right team. I tried something very similar in a daily league 2 years ago and I won the title. I loaded up on offense and got cheap high K pitchers. I would win HR, Runs, and RBI's every week, and I would have like 8 SP's to start each week, so I'd win Wins and K's each week too. I pretty much ran away with the league, but I did have good finds for my pitchers. I got Sheets very late, and picked up guys like C Carpenter, and K Escobar, and J Mesa. It can work, but like I said, you need to have a strong offense and you'll need to find some sleeper pitchers.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby MotorCityKitties » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:03 pm

pangbones wrote:Do you change lineups daily or weekly? If it's daily then this strategy will work if you have the right team. I tried something very similar in a daily league 2 years ago and I won the title. I loaded up on offense and got cheap high K pitchers. I would win HR, Runs, and RBI's every week, and I would have like 8 SP's to start each week, so I'd win Wins and K's each week too. I pretty much ran away with the league, but I did have good finds for my pitchers. I got Sheets very late, and picked up guys like C Carpenter, and K Escobar, and J Mesa. It can work, but like I said, you need to have a strong offense and you'll need to find some sleeper pitchers.

It's a daily league. Some of the K guys I am targeting later on are Schmidt, Davis, Burnett, D Cabrera, Perez, Lackey, Kazmir, Patterson, Vazquez, Lowry, Harang. There are others too, but you get the idea. I think most of those guys will go at about round 10-14 and later give or take a few rounds. I'm gonna do it. Can anyone talk me out of it?
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers