It's just a rumor.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

It's just a rumor....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby George_Foreman » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:23 pm

Having Soraino's bat at 2B is a plus. Having it in the OF is just alright.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:25 pm

Why not have Soriano play SS? Gonzalez isn't much better than a backup anyway and you could bring him in as a defensive replacement for Soriano late in the game.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 455)

Postby Caveman_Nick » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:25 pm

George_Foreman wrote:Having Soraino's bat at 2B is a plus. Having it in the OF is just alright.

And having his bat 2B eligible while he's playing in the OF at Fenway...?

Priceless... ;)
Oog.
Caveman_Nick
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Caveman_Nick » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:27 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Why not have Soriano play SS? Gonzalez isn't much better than a backup anyway and you could bring him in as a defensive replacement for Soriano late in the game.

Supposedly Soriano'e natural position is SS and his defense is supposed to be much better there. He just wasn;t getting the shot behind Jeter or Young...
Oog.
Caveman_Nick
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:27 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Why not have Soriano play SS? Gonzalez isn't much better than a backup anyway and you could bring him in as a defensive replacement for Soriano late in the game.

Well they would have to put up a net in front of the stands along the first base line to start with.

"Look out, he has the ball again."
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dannahann » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:31 pm

IMO the Red Sox are counting on too many major injury risks in their rotation right now. To trade quality pitching for a position player they may be better off without doesn't make sense. They need solid defense and guys to get on base. When Soriano gets into one of his impatient spells (every year he has several) he's a bigtime rally killer. I'd prefer Loretta at 2B and at the plate. Trading pitching (and probably paying some salary too) is just too much for Soriano.
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 223)

Postby dannahann » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:33 pm

Caveman_Nick wrote:

Supposedly Soriano'e natural position is SS and his defense is supposed to be much better there. He just wasn;t getting the shot behind Jeter or Young...

As I recall Soriano turned down SS when he was traded to Texas and Young was the one who stepped up and accepted the move. I may be mistaken tho?
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 223)

Postby Zito is God » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:35 pm

George_Foreman wrote:Yeah, but what happens to Loretta? They gave up too much for him to just be a bench player, but the Nats obviously don't need him. Hard to say.....

Umm...they gave up a backup catcher for him = not "too much".

I think the trade of Soriano for Manny would be interesting considering both want out of their respected clubs.

I can't stand the Red Sox and love the Yankees so I will be bias to this, but heres my take:

You'd have to be a moron to give Soriano for JUST Arroyo OR Clement. Both guys are beyond improvement and I see Clements arm dying soon because of his Cubs days. Arroyo is as far as he can go and is just a decent middle of the rotation pitcher. I think papelbon/Hanson/Lester need to be in the deal, I even though I think Theo is kinda a joke no one is dumb enough to give them up. That leaves us with manny as the only other trade bait (Don't bring up Wells, the guy is injury prone and old, a rebuilding organization does not want him). If the Sox could pick up enough salary to balance out the Nats payroll this deal could work out fairly well for both teams. I can't see who would be replacing Manny though, maybe Moss now that Millar is gone.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:37 pm

I like this deal if they can find a taker for Loretta or Soriano moves to SS. The Red Sox are fairly deep in good young SP (Pap, Lester, etc.) and they haven't traded Wells yet. They'd be thin but they would be serviceable.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 103)

Postby Zito is God » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:38 pm

I would also like to point out that as much as I loathe the Sox Lorretta is a very solid player and they should keep him there for a couple of years at least instead of trying to improve a month after getting him in the trade. Lowell gives much versatility sicne he plays 2nd and 3rd so if worse comes to worse he can switch to 2nd with Youkilis back at 3rd and Ortiz from DH to 1st.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers