Why the love for Tejada? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why the love for Tejada?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why the love for Tejada?

Postby kemper5 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:57 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I'm surprised there is as much support for M. Young as there is. Does everyone really think he is going to hit .330 again?

He may not hit .330, but will be in the .310+ range.. I personally like this guy because he's hitting in front of Big Tex and Blalock, hits in one of the greatest parks in the planet, and is constantly getting 660+ ab's per season, 200+ hits, tons of doubles, averages 10 SB's over the last three years and will get you the 20+HR, 90+ RBI while getting 110+ runs.. Those are great #'s. Thats why he was the best SS points wise last year and will continue it
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:58 pm

cordscords wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:I'm surprised there is as much support for M. Young as there is. Does everyone really think he is going to hit .330 again?

I've got Young at .315, 20 HR, 95 RBI, 110 R, 7 SB

I've got Tejada at .305, 30 HR, 115 RBI, 95 R, 5 SB

Tejada had one bad half, that's it. Look at his career, he's normally a 2nd half hitter. Sometimes players just run into bad luck.

In his case, it was more the mess in Baltimore last season. Mazilli, Beattie, bad leadership, a team that did not care, Palmeiro and the roids, Roberts' injury, etc...

Just a bad situation which led to the team giving up the last 2 months.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Why the love for Tejada?

Postby kemper5 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:04 pm

Cool, you guys take the declining, overrated, career years past Tejada (I think) with absolutely no protection on a rebuilding 4th place team and I'll take the spark plug, MVP in his future Michael Young in one of the best lineups who will contend for the AL west crown ;-D
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Why the love for Tejada?

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:10 pm

kemper5 wrote:Cool, you guys take the declining, overrated, career years past Tejada (I think) with absolutely no protection on a rebuilding 4th place team and I'll take the spark plug, MVP in his future Michael Young in one of the best lineups who will contend for the AL west crown ;-D

Not that I want to comapre the two as I think Young is talented, but guys with his type of numbers at MI (avg and runs, some speed with decent power) have been known to fall back and it does not take a lot. See Edgar Renteria for instance. Or Loretta at 2b.

I think Young will post great numbers, but I sort of am wary of this type of hitter being picked high. If Young hits 285 instead of 320...14 Hrs instead of 20...he loses a whole lot of value...and avg is something that can move quite a bit season to season on the high end. Just look at Suzuki for your avg nightmare projection valuation. 360 or 300...who knows?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Iconoclastic » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:21 pm

Old_Style wrote:some of us just can't get forget about the past

some of us just can't remember past one year ago
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TB13 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:27 pm

A bad 3 months hardly qualifies as the deep past. It's not like he has been declining like Shawn Green. Miggy has put up monster numbers each and every year, consistently. He has a poor 3 months. Big deal.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby stumpak » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:37 pm

Tejada did not have a bad year last season at all. In fact it was his second best year ever on terms of OPS by a wide margin.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mtarail » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:15 pm

Iconoclastic wrote:

some of us just can't remember past one year ago

Bingo!!

And I'd add that while there's no doubt that Young has more protection in the lineup than Miggy, Miggy put up his MVP #'s with pretty weak support.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Why the love for Tejada?

Postby kimchi_chigae » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:05 pm

kemper5 wrote:To me Tejada is the 3rd ranked fantasy SS behind Michael Young and Jimmy Rollins..

You are complaining there is no love for Tejada and ranks Rollins above him? 8-o ;-) Not helping... :-b

I'd rank him higher that Rollins and maybe even higher than Young, I think people are seriously overpaying for both guys.

Tejada was having a great year, just like the O's, until Baltimore had to put all their players on the DL. Before they started to have so many problems with injuries, they had one of the best offenses in baseball. The pitching staff was doing a really good job and the O's were in first place. Then...injuries and the whole Palmeiro thing sank the team, and with 2 months left in the season was ready to go on vacation already...including Tejada.
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Postby Yoda » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:27 pm

That was what I was thinking. People are labeling him as the #1 SS heading into 06. Young is great but you can't possibly compare him to Tejada who has a longer proven track record. Neither are worth a 1st round pick but Tejada is still #1 IMHO.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers