Why the love for Tejada? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why the love for Tejada?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why the love for Tejada?

Postby kemper5 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:51 pm

To me Tejada is the 3rd ranked fantasy SS behind Michael Young and Jimmy Rollins.. Hear me out.. I see Tejada constantly going in the top 8 picks. Why? He put out a 26 HR, 98 RBI, 89 Run, 199 Hit .304 BA and scored 457 Fantasy point in my league last year which is right around where he will be this year. Does that warrant a top 8 pick overall.. I say no way. Michael Young posted a a better fantasy season in 05 with a 221 hit, 24 HR, 91 RBI, 114 Run, .330 ave season and Jimmy Rollins put together a solid 12 HR, 54 RBI, 41 SB, 196 hit, .290 ave for 458 fantasy points and has a better upside in the lineup he's in to improve on his #'s this year..

Tejada is 31 this year and has little protection with Javy Lopez and Jay Gibbons behind him.. Ohhh look out there.. Young has Teixeira and Blalock behind him in a top 3 Hitters park while Rollins has the Abreu & Utely Mashers behind him in a top 5 hitters park.. Overall, I see a very 28 HR, 95 RBI, .302 ave, with Tejada this year. Ask yourself, is that a top 8 pick, I think not! Go ahead, pick him top ten. But don't be dissapointed when he's a 3rd ranked SS for your league in 06
Last edited by kemper5 on Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Old_Style » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:55 pm

some of us just can't get forget about the past
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Why the love for Tejada?

Postby kemper5 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:00 pm

He did have a great past, but he is 31 this year and no longer has a MVP like Giambi or guys hitting 40 - 45 HR's behind him like Palmeiro .. He's got 15 HR Javy Lopez and crew
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby cordscords » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:13 pm

The ability to put up 35+ HR from the SS position makes him so valuable. The only other SS I can see challenge that is Peralta, but that would come with a lot of good luck.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 20)

Why the love for Tejada?

Postby kemper5 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:22 pm

cordscords wrote:The ability to put up 35+ HR from the SS position makes him so valuable. The only other SS I can see challenge that is Peralta, but that would come with a lot of good luck.

But he's never in his career hit 35+ HR's, and probably never will. His average is 26-28 HR's.. Don't get me wrong, he's a very good player, but when you have 20+ hitters that outperformed him last year fantasy points wise (including Young and Rollins at SS). I really really just cannot see why people are waisting a top 8-10 pick on him when they could get so much more value for their team hitting wise...
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Why the love for Tejada?

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:30 pm

kemper5 wrote:
cordscords wrote:The ability to put up 35+ HR from the SS position makes him so valuable. The only other SS I can see challenge that is Peralta, but that would come with a lot of good luck.

But he's never in his career hit 35+ HR's, and probably never will. His average is 26-28 HR's.. Don't get me wrong, he's a very good player, but when you have 20+ hitters that outperformed him last year fantasy points wise (including Young and Rollins at SS). I really really just cannot see why people are waisting a top 8-10 pick on him when they could get so much more value for their team hitting wise...

Call me crazy but I think Tejada is in for a pretty good year. And talent wise, if you really think Jimmy Rollins or Young are in his class well...? Young is going too high imo for a SS with OK power. People are overpaying for him. Tejada is much more talented.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:45 pm

a) tejada had a fine season in 2005 and that was basically a down year. i expect him to hit 30+ homers and 115 rbi.

b) i like young, but a big part of his success last year was that he hit as well on the road as he did at home. i see him falling back a little bit.

c) tejada, young, and rollins (and even reyes) are all very very close in my book.

Tejada is 31

umm...young is only 5 months younger than old man tejada.

no longer has a MVP like Giambi or guys hitting 40 - 45 HR's behind him like Palmeiro

palmeiro wasnt doing anything in 2004 when tejada had his 150 rbi season. i guess he had melvin mora as protection. he still has mora and hopefully a recovered b.roberts. he should be fine as long as corey patterson isnt in the top half of the order.

I really really just cannot see why people are waisting a top 8-10 pick on him

well, i agree there, although i havent seen that happen yet. i basically see him go around 14-20.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby acsguitar » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:48 pm

He had an off season
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:49 pm

I'm surprised there is as much support for M. Young as there is. Does everyone really think he is going to hit .330 again?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby cordscords » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:55 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I'm surprised there is as much support for M. Young as there is. Does everyone really think he is going to hit .330 again?

I've got Young at .315, 20 HR, 95 RBI, 110 R, 7 SB

I've got Tejada at .305, 30 HR, 115 RBI, 95 R, 5 SB

Tejada had one bad half, that's it. Look at his career, he's normally a 2nd half hitter. Sometimes players just run into bad luck.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 20)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers