What's up with Bill Hall? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What's up with Bill Hall?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RAmst23 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:22 pm

Milwaukee has really turned it around, starting last year. There is a lot of excitement when talking about the Brewers, and I'm interested in watching them play now.

Brewers aren't a push-over team anymore, which is annoying (I'm a Cards' fan.)
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby George_Foreman » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:33 pm

Scooter1027 wrote:My other favorites were getting Jose Capellan for Dan Kolb, then signing Kolb back this offseason, as well as trading Keith Ginter for Brewers minor league player of the year (saying a lot in our system) Nelson Cruz.

Don't talk to me about Dan Kolb.

The only solace I can take from the deal as a Braves fan is that Capellan isn't going to be a SP. That said, he'll be a pretty dominant RP and if Turnbow wasn't there, he'd likely be closing.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure Kolb got traded back, although it's not like the Braves got anything remotely near Capellan's value.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Scooter1027 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:38 pm

George_Foreman wrote:
Scooter1027 wrote:My other favorites were getting Jose Capellan for Dan Kolb, then signing Kolb back this offseason, as well as trading Keith Ginter for Brewers minor league player of the year (saying a lot in our system) Nelson Cruz.

Don't talk to me about Dan Kolb.

The only solace I can take from the deal as a Braves fan is that Capellan isn't going to be a SP. That said, he'll be a pretty dominant RP and if Turnbow wasn't there, he'd likely be closing.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure Kolb got traded back, although it's not like the Braves got anything remotely near Capellan's value.

Correct on all fronts, I forgot we dealt Obermueller for him. And yes, I think Capellan will be a great closer eventually after watching him last year.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Steve-o » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:00 pm

RynMan wrote:
kimchi_chigae wrote:Still, in the back of my mind i can't stop thinking...how bad did the Jays get owned by the Brewers this offseason? :-b :-o

I think Melvin is extremely underrated.

I think the whole front office is extremely underrated. In the last few weeks they have signed a few high profile Dominican kids that sound very promising (a 17 yo with a 97 mph heater). The owner is taking steps to bring more brewer fans to the game too (from giving away tickets to last years finale to packaging 4 pack ticket groups at a lower price during cubs games to try and get more Brewers fans at wrigley north at an estimated loss to the franchise of $200K). I guess it's karma's way of giving it back to us after the Wendy Selig disaster years. Yost isn't half bad either.

Cappy could be special with that nasty slider, but you never know.

I see Hall basically splitting time with Koskie all year. Yost was never one to religously follow the R/L pitcher matchup. I agree with Scooter on just over 400 AB. The problem will be that you will never know when he is playing until gameday. A fantasy owners nightmare.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RynMan » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:15 pm

Scooter1027 wrote:
RynMan wrote:
kimchi_chigae wrote:Still, in the back of my mind i can't stop thinking...how bad did the Jays get owned by the Brewers this offseason? :-b :-o

I think Melvin is extremely underrated.

We're happy with him. He turned Richie Sexson into:

Lyle Overbay
Junior Spivey
Chris Capuano
Criag Counsell
Chad Moeller
Jorge De La Rosa

He then turned Spivey into Tomo Ohka, and Overbay and Brian Wolfe into Koskie, Gabe Gross, Zach Jackson and David Bush. So, in effect he made the following deal:

Richie Sexson

for

Tomo Ohka
Chris Capuano
David Bush
Zach Jackson
Gabe Gross
Corey Koskie
Chad Moeller
Jorge De La Rosa
and a year out of Counsell

3/5 of the rotation, two great prospects (Jorge was at the time), and solid role players.

My other favorites were getting Jose Capellan for Dan Kolb, then signing Kolb back this offseason, as well as trading Keith Ginter for Brewers minor league player of the year (saying a lot in our system) Nelson Cruz.

Oh yeah, and he also picked Doug Davis, Derrick Turnbow, and Brady Clark off of waivers.

Now that's solid.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers