What's up with Bill Hall? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What's up with Bill Hall?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What's up with Bill Hall?

Postby Inukchuk » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:44 pm

Anyone know if he's gonna get significant AB's this year? He apparently has Weeks, Hardy, and Koskie blocking him at each position. I was really hoping for 500 AB out of him, but it doesn't look feasible. Anyone know for sure???
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby acsguitar » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:46 pm

I doubt he'll get much time...Although Hardy is the weak link...he definitly won't be playing over weeks
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Danimal » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:50 pm

I wouldn't call Hardy a weak link. I think he'll build on a solid second half.
I think if Koskie gets off to a slow start, they would replace him with Hall.
Danimal
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JakeTrain72 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:57 pm

I think it is versatility that makes Hall a non-starter for the BrewCrew. Has more value to the team as a super utility guy. I do think Koskie is the guy to watch. He will spell the other guys as needed, but they will look to Hall to shake things up if Koskie doesn't get going. Unless an early injury surfaces, Hall will be lucky to get 300 ABs.
JakeTrain72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Scooter1027 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:23 pm

I would almost guarantee Hall gets 400 AB. I guess the best case scenario for the team would be Koskie ripping the ball and staying healthy. In that case, he may get fewer than 400. But several things are working in Hall's favor:

1. Koskie is brutal against lefties. Hall should start at 3rd against LHP almost every time (maybe a token start by Cirillo).

2. Koskie has an injury history. He can't seem to make it through a season anymore, and he's only getting older.

3. The middle infield is young, and likely slump-prone. Hall will fill in there, both at 2B and SS.

4. There is also talk of him playing CF this spring, increasing his chances of picking up the occasional start at another position.

5. Also remember that Hall didn't have a true position last year either. He filled in when Hardy slumped, when Branyan got injured, then when Cirillo got injured. He got 501 AB.

6. He should be the first pinch hitter off the bench.

Putting these things together, I'd say he gets something like 40 starts at 3rd, 15-20 at SS, 10 at 2B, maybe like 3 in CF, and pinch hit ABs. Saying he gets about 4 AB/start, and saying like 40 pinch hit ABs, that's 332 AB. And, that's assuming no injuries, which is unlikely, as you would probably guess.

Also of note for those who own him -- he should start opening day, assuming the Pirates toss either Oliver Perez or Zach Duke.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:42 pm

Scooter1027 nailed it. #2 - Koskie's injury history being the most important IMO.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 305)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:13 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Scooter1027 nailed it. #2 - Koskie's injury history being the most important IMO.

Yep...Koskie is costing almost to nothing for the Brewers...they might as well let him play and see what he can do, but considering his age, his injury history and how bad he looked last year, there is a good chance Hall will be back in the lineup with no time.

Still, in the back of my mind i can't stop thinking...how bad did the Jays get owned by the Brewers this offseason? :-b :-o
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby 5 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:25 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Scooter1027 nailed it. #2 - Koskie's injury history being the most important IMO.

agreed
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RynMan » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:47 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:Still, in the back of my mind i can't stop thinking...how bad did the Jays get owned by the Brewers this offseason? :-b :-o

I think Melvin is extremely underrated.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Scooter1027 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:17 pm

RynMan wrote:
kimchi_chigae wrote:Still, in the back of my mind i can't stop thinking...how bad did the Jays get owned by the Brewers this offseason? :-b :-o

I think Melvin is extremely underrated.

We're happy with him. He turned Richie Sexson into:

Lyle Overbay
Junior Spivey
Chris Capuano
Criag Counsell
Chad Moeller
Jorge De La Rosa

He then turned Spivey into Tomo Ohka, and Overbay and Brian Wolfe into Koskie, Gabe Gross, Zach Jackson and David Bush. So, in effect he made the following deal:

Richie Sexson

for

Tomo Ohka
Chris Capuano
David Bush
Zach Jackson
Gabe Gross
Corey Koskie
Chad Moeller
Jorge De La Rosa
and a year out of Counsell

3/5 of the rotation, two great prospects (Jorge was at the time), and solid role players.

My other favorites were getting Jose Capellan for Dan Kolb, then signing Kolb back this offseason, as well as trading Keith Ginter for Brewers minor league player of the year (saying a lot in our system) Nelson Cruz.

Oh yeah, and he also picked Doug Davis, Derrick Turnbow, and Brady Clark off of waivers.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers