Jose Castillo stealing? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jose Castillo stealing?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jose Castillo stealing?

Postby phr3ak » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:07 am

Anyone has some news if Jose Castillo is getting the green light this season? Ive seen his Minor League numbers and he can be capable of 20-20 seasons at best. Did Jim Tracy ran alot his players back in LA? Anyone?
phr3ak Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

castillo

Postby Eightan » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:18 am

the past two seasons he's stolen 3 and 2 bases in around 370 at bats... doesn't seem to be a stolen base threat. Although I haven't looked at his minor league numbers, I would sooner look at his major league numbers when making a prediction, as opposed to what he's done in the minors.
you can't live the dream, if you don't play the game
Eightan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:33 am

I would bet he goes for around 10, assuming his knee is ok. The reason Pittsburgh is high on him is for the pop in his bat. They're looking for 15-20 hrs from him in that position.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Jose Castillo stealing?

Postby kemper5 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:13 pm

Castillo may be a steal. As with all players, if he could play healthy all year and get 500 to 550 AB's, I think a 18 HR, 75 RBI, 10 SB, .280 + ave season is well within reach. And those #'s would put him within the top 10 at 2nd
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby stumpak » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:52 pm

Castillo has stolen 20 twice in the minors, and in my view the manager's tendency typically has a lot to do wiht how much so-so guys like Castillo run. The problem is that Castillo had an abysmal success rate in the minor, so even Tracy gives him the greenlight quite a bit, which I would expect to happen, I doubt that he will steal 20. But I would say that 10 is likely.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:58 pm

I have heard nothing about Castillo stealing...it'd be nice if he did though. Maybe they'd think about batting him 2nd in the Pirates order. I really think he could be a Felipe Lopez type player if he were given the chance to do it. Right now he's probably going to be the 7th hitter for the team...I don't think there's much call to steal that far down in the order. :-/
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: castillo

Postby hooligan1 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:20 pm

Eightan wrote:the past two seasons he's stolen 3 and 2 bases in around 370 at bats... doesn't seem to be a stolen base threat. Although I haven't looked at his minor league numbers, I would sooner look at his major league numbers when making a prediction, as opposed to what he's done in the minors.

This is slightly off topic but minor league numbers can be a great predicator of major league potential. Anyone who was familiar with Jason Bay's minor league numbers were not taken by suprise by his 21 steals last season, following his 4 steals in his ROY 2004 season. Castillo seems like a guy who could be a good bet to increase his stolen base totals with increased playing time. I would temper my expectation for the immediate future and reasonably expect around 10-12 steals this season, assuming he sticks as the starting 2-bagger.
Hooligan1
hooligan1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Uumm, micro-managing my fantasy baseball teams. Where else?

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:28 pm

hooligan1 wrote:
Eightan wrote:the past two seasons he's stolen 3 and 2 bases in around 370 at bats... doesn't seem to be a stolen base threat. Although I haven't looked at his minor league numbers, I would sooner look at his major league numbers when making a prediction, as opposed to what he's done in the minors.

This is slightly off topic but minor league numbers can be a great predicator of major league potential. Anyone who was familiar with Jason Bay's minor league numbers were not taken by suprise by his 21 steals last season, following his 4 steals in his ROY 2004 season. Castillo seems like a guy who could be a good bet to increase his stolen base totals with increased playing time. I would temper my expectation for the immediate future and reasonably expect around 10-12 steals this season, assuming he sticks as the starting 2-bagger.

Castillo has been the everyday 2B for two seasons. He got hurt last year and lost 1/3 of the season. They also had him hitting in a crappy spot in the order on a team that is crappy at hitting outside of Jason Bay. Lloyd wasn't really a running coach as it was considering Tike Redman never stole either.

The reason Bay stole so much last year is because he picked up on the pitchers' mannerisms very well and knew the best time to steal. I would expect that to continue, but teams will be more wary of him now.

Like I said before, I wouldn't expect Castillo to start stealing unless he moves up in the order. Maybe when they figure out Jack Wilson will never hit .290 again they'll give him a shot. ;-7
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mak1277 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:54 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:
hooligan1 wrote:

Castillo has been the everyday 2B for two seasons. He got hurt last year and lost 1/3 of the season. They also had him hitting in a crappy spot in the order on a team that is crappy at hitting outside of Jason Bay. Lloyd wasn't really a running coach as it was considering Tike Redman never stole either.

The reason Bay stole so much last year is because he picked up on the pitchers' mannerisms very well and knew the best time to steal. I would expect that to continue, but teams will be more wary of him now.

Like I said before, I wouldn't expect Castillo to start stealing unless he moves up in the order. Maybe when they figure out Jack Wilson will never hit .290 again they'll give him a shot. ;-7

Jack Wilson is going to hit .290 this year. Mark it down, it's a lock.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Return to Baseball Leftovers