Punt Stolen Bases Cheat Sheet - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Punt Stolen Bases Cheat Sheet

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby beatlehead84 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:36 am

As I said this is a H2H cheat sheet. I agree, punting stolen bases in roto makes no sense because you can salvage some points no matter what. But, in head to head I think it makes sense to give it a shot because while other owners are drafting speed you're stocking up on either pitchers or sluggers. It's something I will probably try and I know other H2H owners try the strategy as well.

As for Sizemore, he's very well rounded at all of the other categories to call for a high ranking. If you look at the rankings, the only changes really occur with heavy steals players, and moves guys who get you 15-20 down the list just a bit but not too much. The changes aren't that dramatic unless it is a guy who's ranked really high solely for steals.

As for Figgins, I didn't factor in multi-position eligibility at all. I put Dunn, Berkman, Tracy and others in both positions if it was worth it, but Figgins is so far down the list at 3rd and OF it wasn't worth it. In a H2H without steals he kills you in too many categories and is just above average in others that he really isn't that valuable without the steals. Plus, it doesn't matter because if you are punting steals, even if I had him at #5 at second he'd be gone. I still think Polanco is the more rounded player, if you aren't factoring steals into the mix.

Either way I know people punt steals right away in H2H leagues, so I figured I'd throw this out there. Like I said before, I wouldn't recommend using it for a roto league. Taveras, Freel and other late round picks are good values, and you'll be able to get some points. But, in a H2H those guys have no value if they are your only steals guys because it's win or lose. You can't salvage points. Plus, even if you do punt steals there still is a chance to win the category every once in awhile. Just because you are drafting or bidding without steals in mind doesn't mean you won't get players who can help you there. If it doesn't work all it means is one category out of 10-12 per week. That's low risk/high reward in my opinion.
beatlehead84
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers