Drafting Strategies ??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Drafting Strategies ???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Drafting Strategies ???

Postby Peter_123 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:19 pm

Hey guys this is my first season of fantasy baseball and i was wondering if some of u could fill me in on some good drafting strategies to go by ?
Peter_123
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BGbootha » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:24 pm

There are a million, you may want to try to search here at the cafe for drafting strategies.

One that I have really fallen for is the LIMA strategy. Basically put, its drafting offensive players (I use position scarcity as a modifier here) early in the draft and then worrying about starting pitcher later in the draft. The theory is that you can find decent pitchers late in the draft easier than you will be able to find the offensive fillers for you roster.

you may want to search this as well. I will see if I can find some of the links.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Peter_123 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:25 pm

Thanks alot
Peter_123
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jlm53089 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:26 pm

load up on power and speed possibly one ace... then pitch and ditch all season
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby BGbootha » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:30 pm

Yahoo Middle Reliever Strategy

Spot Starting Strategy

LIMA Strategy

Overview of a few different strategies.

Hope this helps! THere are a thousand different strats and everyone has an upside and a downside.

THe one thing I would stress is to take a good look at your league settings, H2H or ROTO, Positions, Stat Cat. These will all affect which strat is best for you.[/url]
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby olympia0731 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:56 pm

Snake draft Fantasy baseball is different from other fantasy sports, in that your strategy may easily change during a draft due to a player slipping past where he is supposed to etc. Here are a few tips.

1: Use a furmula for ranking players. I use vorp (where you subtract a player stats in each position from the average at that position) This does not give you an overall number but by comparing players vorp numbers you can compare certain players and by using logic figure out wich one is better. This is only the first step of ranking players.

2:This is based off an article from Baseballnotebook.com Now you have a ranking sheet with a top 100 players. Some players may be ranked realy high on your draft sheet, but realy low on others. THIS IS GOOD. Mark off your players by each round. Assuming you are in a 12 team leaque, you would put a line under the every twelve players. Now go to a major fantasy website. Look at the average draft position tool. Go through each round of the A.D.P and cross off the players from your list that are selected. Stop every round ( every twelve players) The players that were not selected by the A.D.P but should have been according to your ranking list recieve a star next to their name. The players that have the most stars next to their names are your target players.
Look at these players adp, and write down the pick number five picks before the actual A.D.P. Basicaly figure out where you need to draft the player so that you get him, but you don't draft him befor you need to.

3: It is draft day, you have your draft sheets, and target players. Sweat is dripping down your forehead. You are afraid that you are going to mess up a team wich you must live with for the next few months. Here are my tips. Draft for balance. Show up with the stats of what it takes to win a leaque. Once you draft a player subtract their total from your target totals. Also try to draft 5 hitters a sp, and a rp in whatever order (preferably hitters first) in the first seven rounds. After that fill you positional needs and maintain a 2/1 hitter pitcher ratio. Basicaly draft the best player available that will not be their with your next pick.

Hope this helps.

Adizel
olympia0731
College Coach
College Coach

Postby olympia0731 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:30 pm

I am intrested in hearing others strategy, so bump.
olympia0731
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Broncmet724 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:14 pm

In the first round I go for the 40 HR 120 RBI type.

Second I tend to go for another 30 HR 100 RBI guy.

Third I like to get my ace starter.

Fourth I try to get the best hitter I can find.

Fifth I try to get a closer, Mariano, Lidge, F-Rod etc

Sixth through eight is more hitters usually

Nine through eleven is 2 starters and another closer

Twelve through fourteen the best hitters left by need

Fifteen through seventeen is 2 more starters and another closer

Eighteen and nineteen I like the best 2 MRs I can find (make a dang nice starter in roto if you ask me)

Twenty and twenty one I get my catcher usually and a backup at any position I am worried about

Of course each draft is different, and sometimes you adapt. I have one where I got no closers, but it was because so many guys were going ptiching that such great hitters were out there by the time I got around to it I had no closers. Will pick them up as I go as someone somewhere will lose their job during the season.
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby loophole21 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:25 pm

The person who does the most research and homework before the season has a huge advantage over everyone else in the league. Be prepared for your draft, and have your rankings done early so you can update them throughout spring training as necessary.

The first step in making rankings is to project the stats for each player. Start with a list of the players at each position and methodically project their stats for this coming year. Look at previous years, split stats, team changes, injuries... This is an extremely inexact science, and any projections within 65% accuracy are generally very good.

Also trust your own personal opinions about players. You may only be a FBB rookie, but following the crowd in fantasy baseball will only produce mediocre results. Dont be afraid if your projections for certain players differ from the consensus stats.

Lastly, have confidence going into your draft. If you have done all the necessary preparations, including a couple of mocks, then the draft should be no problem.
loophole21
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers