Fielder Irrationalities - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fielder Irrationalities

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:34 pm

Ender wrote:There is absolutely no way you'll get fielder in the mid to late teens, while I'm not suggesting drafting him in round 5 or anything, he's going to go as a speculative pick around round 11-13 most likely.

If so, let someone else pay. In a non-keeper, he should not be drafted before 150 overall at the earliest imo.

I got him in the 170's in a keeper I recently drafted and was quite happy about it.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:41 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:
Ender wrote:There is absolutely no way you'll get fielder in the mid to late teens, while I'm not suggesting drafting him in round 5 or anything, he's going to go as a speculative pick around round 11-13 most likely.

If so, let someone else pay. In a non-keeper, he should not be drafted before 150 overall at the earliest imo.

I got him in the 170's in a keeper I recently drafted and was quite happy about it.

Was this a yahoo public league or something? 170th in a keeper league seems pretty unreasonable for someone who is projected to have as strong a career as fielder is.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby hybrid » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:50 pm

Well to reply to the original question, because he has that much raw power. I think even if he struggled the whole year, he would get enough FB's he could crush and likely hit 20. The kid has such power and a great eye, also like has been mentioned before ... he has been young for every age and shows adjustments. He might struggle at first, but as long as he plays 140 games, I'd say a number like 25 would be just about right.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:54 pm

Ender wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:

Was this a yahoo public league or something? 170th in a keeper league seems pretty unreasonable for someone who is projected to have as strong a career as fielder is.

We keep 8, so unless you figure he cracks the top 8 rounds (10 team) his potential is not all that meaningful. That said, he did slip as pitching was run early and a coupel fo the owners were not the brightest bulbs. I was happy with here I got hm. Delmon Young went unt the 120's. Fielder is not as hyped as him.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Fenway05 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:21 pm

He'll hit 25/75/.262 ;-D
"When you come to a fork in the road take it."
Fenway05
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Nene » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:52 pm

Fenway05 wrote:He'll hit 25/75/.262 ;-D

It's between that (him) and Dye for the last spot on my A team roster.
[b]Founder of the Hilarious Homers League[/b]
Nene Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Yoda » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:19 pm

Scooter1027 wrote:I have watched/followed Prince at every stop in his minor and major league career. The thing that has always impressed me most is his adjustment to the level of competition. He's always been young for the level he's been at (19 at AA, 20 at AAA, and then starting his big league career at age 21 last year), and within a month or two, just started killing the ball. He jumps to the big leagues, and in limited ABs, he hits .288 and 2 game-winning blasts as a pinch hitter (one particular game gave any Brewers fan goose-bumps -- both Prince and Rickie hit their first big league homers in the same game, Prince's being the game-winner). He is patient at the plate, and just flat-out knows how to hit. I think 25-30 is very realistic. I mean, even during his "mediocre" showing last year (as Zito put it) he hit 2 HR in 59 AB. Extrapolate that out to 575 AB or so (starters numbers), and you already have 20 HR, and to me, that's a minimum.

The key is that I think last year was key for him. He's not a completely untested commodity, he got to play last year and face big league pitching. If he adjusts as quickly as he did every other level, look out.

Good post. I was going to say the same thing about him adjusting to the league.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/ ... lder.shtml

Kid can rake, has a job he can only lose (always a plus) and I will be drafting him around 11 or 12th round along with Delmon in my keeper league.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby DK » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:02 pm

I can see Fielder hitting 25 HR, 70 R, 80 RBI, with an average hovering around .270 or so.

Anything above that is gravy.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Scooter1027 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:37 pm

DK wrote:I can see Fielder hitting 25 HR, 70 R, 80 RBI, with an average hovering around .270 or so.

Anything above that is gravy.

I can agree with these projections, although the RBI will depend on where he hits. There's a lot of speculation at this point, but no one really knows. If he hits 3rd, his RBIs could be higher than 80. But right now, any one of Weeks, Jenkins, Fielder, and Koskie could hit 3rd. Knowing Yost's tendencies, he'll probably keep Jenkins batting 5th as he did last year, a spot he thrived in. If Prince hits 3rd, I would anticipate more than 70 R and more than 80 RBI. However, if he hits more like 6th, those would be good projections.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Zito is God » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:22 pm

Are you saying I'd be crazy not to bring him up this year then? (I have Sexson and REALLY need a trade before bringing him up obviously)

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers