College - What do you know??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

College - What do you know???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby so0perspam » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:07 am

There is no West Coast bias. I'm basing this on fact. A ton of guys from my school got into Dartmouth, Cornell, Columbia, and Duke. Only a few got into Stanford.
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Shadow of the Sun* » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:13 am

gostanford07 wrote:Thanks for all the info. Although I think I would probably have a better shot at Stanford, considering they put a significant amount of weight in the legacy, I am tempted to go for Duke just for something new.

I will probably be right on the bubble for both... I scored a 2120 on my first SAT attempt, but will probably take them again, and have around a 4.5 cumulative 4.0 unweighted. But these days it just seems like a crap shoot on getting in. I have yet to take the ACTs which are important for Duke, so we'll see after I'm done with those.

Also, everyone is saying that playing a competitive sport is important for Duke, but is the same true even if you don't plan to play at the college. I play on my high school baseball team and on Connie Mack summer league team, but I don't plan on trying to play at Duke. Possibly walk on since they aren't that good but I'm not sure. Anyway, thanks for the help.

No playing a competitive sport is not important for admission to Duke. Thats why they recruit athletes for their teams. They want students in their classes. Your stats seem good enough to get in, but like you said a lot of the process is a crapshoot. My advice is that if you know you want to go to a school, let them know. Write a letter along with your application telling them why you like the school and why you would be a good fit. Saying "you are a good school and I want to go to a good school" is not the best answer. Do some reasearch and find things about the school that you like. It may seem like you are kissing butt, but it is worth it in the end.
Shadow of the Sun*
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby gostanford07 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:35 am

Yeha, i was planning on contacting them as soon as I take the ACT so I have more info to reference. Also, just from initial research, it seems that Duke is aimed more at the sciences in terms of majors, which doesn't really fit me at all. Apparently, I need to look around more :-?
gostanford07
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye

Postby gostanford07 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:38 am

so0perspam wrote:There is no West Coast bias. I'm basing this on fact. A ton of guys from my school got into Dartmouth, Cornell, Columbia, and Duke. Only a few got into Stanford.

I'm sure one of the stat heads like Agnes would reply with the typical "Too small of a sample space" lol
gostanford07
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye

Postby so0perspam » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:40 am

gostanford07 wrote:
so0perspam wrote:There is no West Coast bias. I'm basing this on fact. A ton of guys from my school got into Dartmouth, Cornell, Columbia, and Duke. Only a few got into Stanford.

I'm sure one of the stat heads like Agnes would reply with the typical "Too small of a sample space" lol

Sample size you mean. ;-)
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby gostanford07 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:53 am

so0perspam wrote:
gostanford07 wrote:

Sample size you mean. ;-)

Right... looks like I need some work before my applications. But doesn't sample space work in that situation? In terms of probability, doesn't sample space mean the same thing as sample size? Or am i just that tired? :-/
gostanford07
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye

Postby so0perspam » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:27 pm

The sample space is a list of all the possible outcomes of a SRS or experiement. ;-D
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby gostanford07 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:33 am

so0perspam wrote:The sample space is a list of all the possible outcomes of a SRS or experiement. ;-D

Gracias, I'll remember for next time. Buuut, since you so kindly corrected me, I guess it's my turn. Kinda picky, but I think it should be an SRS since sounded out, it would be Ess-Are-Ess, constituting "an". I told you it was picky... :-b [/b]
gostanford07
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye

Postby so0perspam » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:18 pm

gostanford07 wrote:
so0perspam wrote:The sample space is a list of all the possible outcomes of a SRS or experiement. ;-D

Gracias, I'll remember for next time. Buuut, since you so kindly corrected me, I guess it's my turn. Kinda picky, but I think it should be an SRS since sounded out, it would be Ess-Are-Ess, constituting "an". I told you it was picky... :-b [/b]

Wrong again. SRS = simple random sample. ;-)
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby laxguy8947 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:25 pm

baseball6791 wrote:
Shadow of the Sun* wrote:
baseball6791 wrote:
so0perspam wrote:
laxguy8947 wrote: see Stanford and Duke on the same level academically

Ummm, no. Duke does not have a 5% acceptance rate.

Yeah, Duke may be great but Stanford is :-°

I think you guys may be a little guilty of some West Coast bias.
Take a look at these rankings: http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/colleg ... _brief.php

Duke #5 and Stanford #6. Both are equally as difficult to get into, so if you have connections to Stanford you probably have a better shot of getting in there. Both are excellent schools.

Princeton review disagrees: http://www.princetonreview.com/college/ ... TopicID=10

The gap from 9 to 14 must be massive... ;-7

Regardless those are all great schools.

I'll be happy just to sneak into UVA ;-)
Thanks to abrage22
laxguy8947
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk