College - What do you know??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

College - What do you know???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mtryanks12 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:13 pm

RyanK wrote:
jmgchips wrote:I live in southeastern CT so WNEC is about an hour to an hour and a half away from me...and about Duke, I hear it is pretty hard to get into but if you are very good athletically then they are big on giving away scholarships...my friend Tradelled Ward got a free ride for running there ;-D


very nice... where do you go to school? i went to conard, graduated last year took a post grad year this year and regret it lol... dunno if you play us in any sports


cool, im right near you at KO and conard always kills us at every sport :-t
mtryanks12
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 201
Joined: 25 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jmgchips » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:51 pm

I go to Griswold...I don't think we face you in anything unless it's state opens for wrestling or running, i did wrestling...you guys do any sports?
Image

Sig thanks to RyanK!
jmgchips
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 190
Joined: 9 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby laxguy8947 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:43 pm

Duke is ultra ultra competitive if you don't have some kind of serioius athletics or something that really sets you apart from the average genius. I see Stanford and Duke on the same level academically; with all that legacy why not just go there?
Image
Thanks to abrage22
laxguy8947
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 918
Joined: 27 Dec 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Cheering for the Braves in VA

Postby so0perspam » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:02 am

laxguy8947 wrote: see Stanford and Duke on the same level academically


Ummm, no. Duke does not have a 5% acceptance rate.
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 8653
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Bay Area

Postby RyanK » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:24 pm

mtryanks12 wrote:
RyanK wrote:
jmgchips wrote:I live in southeastern CT so WNEC is about an hour to an hour and a half away from me...and about Duke, I hear it is pretty hard to get into but if you are very good athletically then they are big on giving away scholarships...my friend Tradelled Ward got a free ride for running there ;-D


very nice... where do you go to school? i went to conard, graduated last year took a post grad year this year and regret it lol... dunno if you play us in any sports


cool, im right near you at KO and conard always kills us at every sport :-t


you go to ko.. no shit... im at kents hill right now.. but what grade are you in i know a few kids at ko..

jmg... ive heard of griswold.. i never played them in my sports but i played football frosh year then just hockey baseball (frosh year) and golf (soph-senior year)
Image
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 2839
Joined: 15 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jmgchips » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:30 pm

yup...ive played soccer four years of varsity (made first team all area), varsity wrestling four years (fifth in new england but i should have taken first, i blew my chances there) and i did golf for three years and was first in my division when i decided to play baseball this year lol
Image

Sig thanks to RyanK!
jmgchips
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 190
Joined: 9 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby baseball6791 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:37 pm

so0perspam wrote:
laxguy8947 wrote: see Stanford and Duke on the same level academically


Ummm, no. Duke does not have a 5% acceptance rate.


Yeah, Duke may be great but Stanford is :-°
Image

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4368
Joined: 23 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Shadow of the Sun* » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:43 pm

baseball6791 wrote:
so0perspam wrote:
laxguy8947 wrote: see Stanford and Duke on the same level academically


Ummm, no. Duke does not have a 5% acceptance rate.


Yeah, Duke may be great but Stanford is :-°


I think you guys may be a little guilty of some West Coast bias.
Take a look at these rankings: http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/colleg ... _brief.php

Duke #5 and Stanford #6. Both are equally as difficult to get into, so if you have connections to Stanford you probably have a better shot of getting in there. Both are excellent schools.
Image
Shadow of the Sun*
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 547
Joined: 20 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby baseball6791 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:56 pm

Shadow of the Sun* wrote:
baseball6791 wrote:
so0perspam wrote:
laxguy8947 wrote: see Stanford and Duke on the same level academically


Ummm, no. Duke does not have a 5% acceptance rate.


Yeah, Duke may be great but Stanford is :-°


I think you guys may be a little guilty of some West Coast bias.
Take a look at these rankings: http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/colleg ... _brief.php

Duke #5 and Stanford #6. Both are equally as difficult to get into, so if you have connections to Stanford you probably have a better shot of getting in there. Both are excellent schools.


Princeton review disagrees: http://www.princetonreview.com/college/ ... TopicID=10
Image

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4368
Joined: 23 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby gostanford07 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:00 am

Thanks for all the info. Although I think I would probably have a better shot at Stanford, considering they put a significant amount of weight in the legacy, I am tempted to go for Duke just for something new.

I will probably be right on the bubble for both... I scored a 2120 on my first SAT attempt, but will probably take them again, and have around a 4.5 cumulative 4.0 unweighted. But these days it just seems like a crap shoot on getting in. I have yet to take the ACTs which are important for Duke, so we'll see after I'm done with those.

Also, everyone is saying that playing a competitive sport is important for Duke, but is the same true even if you don't plan to play at the college. I play on my high school baseball team and on Connie Mack summer league team, but I don't plan on trying to play at Duke. Possibly walk on since they aren't that good but I'm not sure. Anyway, thanks for the help.
Image
gostanford07
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 546
Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 707... The home of Jonny Gomes and Jason Lane

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact