Pete Rose - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball History

Pete Rose

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Would you elect Pete Rose to the hall of fame?

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes : 36

Postby bryanspellman » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:58 pm

AMEN!!!!

If off the field antics can keep one out of the Hall of Fame there are several men in there that should be put out. Ban the man from baseball but do not ignore the Player!

Rose In The Hall Of Fame!

Side Note: His speech should be limited to his playing time and not involve the banning, repeated attemps to be reinstated or any type of 'bashing'....you earned the Hall based on your merits as a player, talk about those and nothing else!
AL Only
(Hits, HR, RBI, SB, TB - W, IP, SV, K, ER)
7 Pitchers, 1 each Pos + 4 OF, 1DH
7 Reserve
9 Teams
bryanspellman
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:33 pm

bryanspellman wrote:If off the field antics can keep one out of the Hall of Fame there are several men in there that should be put out. Ban the man from baseball but do not ignore the Player!

Rose isn't being kept out of the Hall because of some silly off the field antics. He is being kept out because he broke what is basically the only rule baseball has ever held sacred. Simple, straightforward, no-nonesnse rule : Bet on baseball, you are not welcome in baseball. The rule is there and is harsh for a reason. Baseball has survived wars, depressions, labor strikes, steroids, and everything else that has come its way. The only thing that has ever come close to destroying it was gambling.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby bryanspellman » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:36 pm

Sorry, misunderstanding. His betting was not 'silly' but it did not pertain to him the player, his hits, his hustle, his play. I agree he should not be involved with baseball now or in the future. But the Hall of Fame is a place that celebrates the past and great history of this game and like it or not Rose was a major force in his playing years!

Celebrate his feats and the pure joy of watching him play, boo the better but cheer the player. This is terrible that Bud sits on his hands with Barroids makes his way past Babe and Hank but can't give the all time hits leader a plaque. Here's you Hall of Fame day now go away.......simple I think.
AL Only
(Hits, HR, RBI, SB, TB - W, IP, SV, K, ER)
7 Pitchers, 1 each Pos + 4 OF, 1DH
7 Reserve
9 Teams
bryanspellman
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby teddy ballgame » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:12 pm

Yes, you have to put him in there. Like someone else said, if it's about off the field things then there are plenty of people who shouldn't be in the HoF.

I don't care if he bet on baseball as a manager. When he was a player he gave the best effort he could 100% of the time. He holds the record for most hits out of any player to ever play the game of baseball. He should be in there.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:49 pm

He's a moron and a jerkoff but he's got more hits than anyone in history and his controversey came after his playing days. I put him in the Hall, but that's where it ends. He doesn't get to do anything else involving the game ever again.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby noseeum » Wed May 31, 2006 1:50 am

I don't care too much either way, but I'd vote for him.

But the rule is posted in every locker in baseball, so I don't feel sorry for him.

We've talked about this a bunch of times, but it doesn't matter if he threw a game or not. If he bet on his team to win, that still can impact the game. Maybe he leaves a pitcher in there longer than he would have. He brings in a closer in the eighth inning instead of the ninth. He forces a good injured player to battle through it. There are plenty of ways that betting for your team to win can impact a manager's decision making that is bad for his players, his team, and baseball.

So I could care less if he makes it or not.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SeovyeQuirsefron » Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:44 am

I would consider voting him in after he's dead.
A baseball fan has the digestive apparatus of a billy goat. He can, and does, devour any set of diamond statistics with insatiable appetite and then nuzzles hungrily for more. ~Arthur Daley
SeovyeQuirsefron
College Coach
College Coach

I

Postby Stejay » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:47 pm

I thank you for your views and comments.Pete Rose is a touchy subject for baseball fans and we have had both sides iof the argument. thanks! ;-D 8-o
Stejay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Porehussla12 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:40 pm

Yes. Pete Rose was one of the best hitters in baseball history. He bet on baseball, but betting on baseball has nothing to do with his actual performance on the field.(When he played, him managing is a different story).

Getting into the Hall of Fame is all about how you play on the field, not what you do off the field(unless of course the issue was steroids).

Rose in the Hall Of fame, but banned from baseball is highly reasonable too me. You can go either way really.
Porehussla12
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby allsorts111 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:39 pm

No he shouldn't be elected. Betting on baseball is a crime. You want me to feel slorry for the guy? I dont care how good osmeone is, if u go out and do a thing like that, you deserved to be punished.
tekken rocks
allsorts111
T-Ball Trainer

Previous

Return to Baseball History