The Safety Not Guaranteed Saga - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

The Safety Not Guaranteed Saga

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The Safety Not Guaranteed Saga

Postby JTWood » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:37 pm

go_jays_go wrote:
JTWood wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:I'm not quite sure who the user is, but there is someone here with this as his sig:
Image
This was an actual ad placed in I believe an Oakland paper. Supposedly by John Titor, who claims to be a time traveler from 2036.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Titor

Man, that is one interesting story. Am I the only one that sees all of this as a guy just using an elaborate setup to propogate his personal political beliefs?


I read somewhere that a company "created" him in order to get them off the ground. If that was the case, it worked.

Really? What company? The only product-specific comments I've read so far on Wikipedia were about the IBM computer, and they're obviously not in the need of a branding icon like him.
Image
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 11508
Joined: 22 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Unincorporated Heaven

Postby Coppermine » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:40 pm

It's definitely a hoax for a variety of reasons (duh) but, I read a lot of his posts anyway about how WWIII starts in 2015 and billions of people die as a result of nuclear attacks by Russia.

What's interesting is how much details he puts into his answers, its really quite elaborate. "Too much time on his hands" is an understatement.

In anycase, I can disprove him through simple economics; he goes on and on about how centralized banking and commerce has been destroyed and all goods are traded at the local level. Yet, he also says they regularly use paper money, like the kind we use today, and credit cards.

Without a centralized bank (not just here, but also in Europe with the Euro becoming one of the biggest competetors to the dollar's value), assuming a nuclear attack did destroy all these major cities, poof, paper money wouldn't be worth, well, the paper it's printed on. The thought of credit cards after WWIII seems even more silly.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Re: The Safety Not Guaranteed Saga

Postby go_jays_go » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:41 pm

JTWood wrote:
go_jays_go wrote:
JTWood wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:I'm not quite sure who the user is, but there is someone here with this as his sig:
Image
This was an actual ad placed in I believe an Oakland paper. Supposedly by John Titor, who claims to be a time traveler from 2036.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Titor

Man, that is one interesting story. Am I the only one that sees all of this as a guy just using an elaborate setup to propogate his personal political beliefs?


I read somewhere that a company "created" him in order to get them off the ground. If that was the case, it worked.

Really? What company? The only product-specific comments I've read so far on Wikipedia were about the IBM computer, and they're obviously not in the need of a branding icon like him.


I'll try and find the link..
Image
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 10462
Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto, Canada

Postby JTWood » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:43 pm

Coppermine wrote:It's definitely a hoax for a variety of reasons (duh) but, I read a lot of his posts anyway about how WWIII starts in 2015 and billions of people die as a result of nuclear attacks by Russia.

What's interesting is how much details he puts into his answers, its really quite elaborate. "Too much time on his hands" is an understatement.

In anycase, I can disprove him through simple economics; he goes on and on about how centralized banking and commerce has been destroyed and all goods are traded at the local level. Yet, he also says they regularly use paper money, like the kind we use today, and credit cards.

Without a centralized bank (not just here, but also in Europe with the Euro becoming one of the biggest competetors to the dollar's value), assuming a nuclear attack did destroy all these major cities, poof, paper money wouldn't be worth, well, the paper it's printed on. The thought of credit cards after WWIII seems even more silly.

Oh, I don't doubt it's a hoax, but it is a very detailed one, isn't it?

I liked the comments about WWIII wiping out 3 billion people but that technological, genetic, and envrionmental advances would not be slowed down, leading to the advent of time travel. That makes sense, of course, because the thinkers who study that stuff don't live in the cities that were destroyed on "N Day," do they?

;-7

The comment about the high-speed trains particularly humored me. We don't have large cities anymore, and we're mostly agrarian now, but we went ahead and built jet trains to connect Omaha and Walla Walla.

:-D
Image
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 11508
Joined: 22 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Unincorporated Heaven

Postby Coppermine » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:45 pm

Well at least according to John Titor then, Darren Daulton is full of it!
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby go_jays_go » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:46 pm

There are admittedly some crazy people posting in this thread, but it appears that sane and rational people are showing John Titor may have been a character invented to promote the site. http://www.timetravelinstitute.com/ttif ... &fpart=all

To paraphrase this position,

Darby:

"Though Art Bell would have you believe that when [A David Anderson who is NOT the David Anderson who is pseudo-famous and has a Ph. D.] at "disappeared" he may have gone bye-bye in a time machine - he didn't.

He's running summer youth camps in Slovakia, Montenegro and Romania out of an apartment in Rochester, NY.

Honest!

There was no "work" done by him and there was no Time Travel Research Association. It was a P.O. Box in Smithtown, NY. He was running the operation from his home in Smithtown until the divorce came along and he had to move out."

I must admit I only looked at the first few entries there. It seems that those people have a theory about how the Titor story was constructed. If they want to theorize, I have no problem with that. However, the problem with speculation works both ways. One cannot speculate what Titor meant, nor can one speculate how the events happened. You can do that anywhere else but not on Wikipedia. Discussions of Titor are fine if you want to do that. But WP is not a discussion forum. It is an encyclopedia (of sorts). It's not that it's wrong. This just isn't the place for it. --JGGardiner 19:34, 28 January 2006 (UTC)
There are also various theroies on that site, such as the idea that Douglas Adams was John Titor, I think that the general concensus on that site (I post there occasionally, as Cryolemon) is that it was someone from either that site, or one of the others that Titor posted on. The article should perhaps have a section discussing the different theories of the identity of Titor, but i'm not really sure how to word it. Maybe I'll try later Cryomaniac 15:43, 1 February 2006 (UTC)


Ahh, that was it. He was apparently invented to promote a site, or was he?

You be the judge. ;-)
Image
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 10462
Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto, Canada

Postby Red Stripe » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:06 pm

WTF haha, I had no clue what the history was behind this sig I got, just found it on computer forum. LMAO!!!
Image
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4112
Joined: 12 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Omaha

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:31 am

Red Stripe wrote:WTF haha, I had no clue what the history was behind this sig I got, just found it on computer forum. LMAO!!!

And the thread has come full circle. Pushed it to the limit, in fact.
Image
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 6426
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: AKA 34=Sweetness on FFC

Postby acsguitar » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:51 am

I don't know but I traveled to the future and sorry you die a virgin ohhhhhhh ohhhhh j/k..

I have no idea who that guy is
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby Coppermine » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:56 am

acsguitar wrote:I don't know but I traveled to the future and sorry you die a virgin ohhhhhhh ohhhhh j/k..

I have no idea who that guy is


acs is drunk again!
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 9:56 hours
(and 89 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact