Yay - we have a curling day!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Yay - we have a curling day!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Phatferd » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:24 am

I hear that Curling is actually a bigger sport in Canada than Hockey.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby go_jays_go » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:38 am

Hooray for Curling. Gold feels nice also. ;-D
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby BGbootha » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:10 am

Hey now don't you northerners forget the US just won itself a Bronze medal in curling......Here we come.

Ohhh who am I kidding, is like bowling for eskimos' Canada has it locked up for a while I guess.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Postby slomo007 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:23 am

bronxxbomber wrote:
perlick29 wrote:Congrats Mook. Although I gotta say I'm very proud of the US team for picking up their first medal ever in the sport. Petey Fenson and company should be proud of the job they did. And they get a big ;-D from me.
You ever get that fantasy curling started :-b .

Do you mean http://www.fantasycurlingcafe.com ? :-D
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:42 am

Phatferd wrote:I hear that Curling is actually a bigger sport in Canada than Hockey.

You're not serious, are you?

People all across Canada were devastated when the national team lost to the Russians on Wednesday, and many (including myself) cut their days short to watch the game.

In the case of curling, well most people I know think the sport is a joke. I like it, though. A lot of strategy goes into every shot, and you have to be very skilled to be a good player at it.

For all the talk of how dominant Canada is at curling, I think this was Canada's first men's gold medal win since curling officially became a sport at the Olympics in Nagano. That certanly explains why this would have been a huge deal in Newfoundland, in addition to the fact that Gushue and 3 of his team members are from there.

After reading all this though, I wish I had a day off today. :-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Phatferd » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:48 am

mweir145 wrote:
Phatferd wrote:I hear that Curling is actually a bigger sport in Canada than Hockey.

People all across Canada were devastated when the national team lost to the Russians on Wednesday, and many (including myself) cut their days short to watch the game.

In the case of curling, well most people I know think the sport is a joke. I like it, though. A lot of strategy goes into every shot, and you have to be very skilled to be a good player at it.

For all the talk of how dominant Canada is at curling, I think this was Canada's first men's gold medal win since curling officially became a sport at the Olympics in Nagano. That certanly explains why this would have been a huge deal in Newfoundland, in addition to the fact that Gushue and 3 of his team members are from there.

I am serious. I remember watching a piece on it when curling was being played in the last Olympics. They talked about how more people participate in curling in Canada than any other sport and it's triple the amount that play hockey.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mweir145 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:11 am

Phatferd wrote:
mweir145 wrote:

I am serious. I remember watching a piece on it when curling was being played in the last Olympics. They talked about how more people participate in curling in Canada than any other sport and it's triple the amount that play hockey.

I'm not sure where you heard that, but it's simply not true. I mean nearly every person I know has played hockey in their lives. Curlers? Can't say I know anybody.

People play hockey here like crazy, and after hockey, soccer is the most-participated in sport in Canada. Curling is probably a sport that is played here more than any other country in the world, but it's participation isn't anywhere near what hockey is, and certainly not 3 times the amount.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:16 am

mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Phatferd » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:32 am

I'm just telling you what I saw on NBC.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:51 am

Coppermine wrote:Canadians aren't the only ones who love curling... and being naked.

PINEROLO, Italy (AP) -- The men's bronze medal match Friday was interrupted by a streaker.

Midway through the United States' 8-6 win over Britain, a man wearing what appeared to be a strategically placed rubber chicken ran onto one of the covered sheets of ice not being used in that session. He danced around for a bit but never tried to approach any of the players.

Curlers probably feel a little safer than most athletes -- it's hard for intruders to run across ice, especially if they're naked. John Shuster said he never felt in danger.

"Olympic security's been amazing here," he said. "We weren't worried at all."

A couple of security officials from the venue hovered near the streaker for several seconds before finally covering him and leading him away.

My guess is the guy got so bored, he decided to take off his clothes.

Of course they were not worried. If he had a bomb or gun or something, they would have seen it. He was naked for crying out loud. Lol. :-b

As to the Kiddie Canucks getting a day off of school, more power to them. ;-D Kids here in Texas get a day off to go to the Stock Show. Even get a free ticket to it as well. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk