J-Mac feelgood story - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

J-Mac feelgood story

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Old_Style » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:18 am

i just saw the story on a program on espn. i'll man up and say i shed a tear, this is the definition of a feel good story.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DC nats05 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:56 am

Hey guys, just if you want an update... tonight, sat march 4th, Greece Athena (j-macs school) won their divisional championship game. I got to see him jumping around on the court and raising a plaque when his team won. He had all these cameras around him. I came for the game after his, so I didn't get to see much of him. Still, it is an amazing story, and it was truly awesome to see the guy in person, after all, there is probably going to be a movie made of him. This is one of the best sports stories of the year, and this event never happens, when a kid with disabilities drains 20 points in 6 minutes, against a team that is guarding him closely. Props to J-mac!
DC nats05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby DC nats05 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:57 am

Last edited by DC nats05 on Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DC nats05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Madison » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:56 am

Here's an update guys:

Autistic hoops star scores movie deal By Tatiana Siegel
Wed Apr 19, 1:19 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Columbia Pictures has acquired the life rights to Jason McElwain, an autistic teenager who morphed from a basketball benchwarmer into an international media sensation after hitting six three-pointers in the final four minutes of a high school game.

Basketball great Earvin "Magic" Johnson will serve as an executive producer.

McElwain, a Rochester, N.Y., senior nicknamed "J-Mac" by his friends, never made the varsity team because of his size and instead served as its student manager. But in the waning minutes of the final game of the regular season in February, his coach rewarded McElwain's dedication and attitude by putting him into the game.

McElwain's first three-point attempt was an air ball, which he followed with a missed layup. He then scored six three-pointers, his last one the final shot of the game -- a feat that Johnson said would be nearly impossible for a seasoned pro to accomplish, nevermind a high schooler not accustomed to playing time.

"When I first saw the highlights on ESPN and then heard Jason's back story, I said, 'Man, I've got to be a part of this.' This story touched me, my kids, my wife," said Johnson. "When we go to the movies, this is the type of story we want to see."

McElwain's feat quickly snowballed from a local story to a media frenzy, with footage of his scoring outburst making its way to ESPN's "SportsCenter" and ABC's "Good Morning America."

Sources say the story sparked a heated bidding war, which came down to Columbia, the Weinstein Co., New Line Cinema and Universal Pictures/Imagine Entertainment.

"Forget sports for a moment -- you have to be ready for your moment," said Johnson, who also executive produced the hoops drama "Passing Glory." "This story represents everything I talk about as a motivational speaker. You have to be prepared for your one chance."

The project will be produced by Laura Ziskin ("Spider-Man"), while Mary Martin is also executive producing.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060419/people_nm/hoops_dc
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to General Talk