Thoughts on Shortstop Drafting - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on Shortstop Drafting

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby giants! » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:13 pm

Hanley is in a terrible lineup and park. Expect only steals from him
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 4Pack » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:45 pm

Getting Hardy with 18th, 19th, or 20th pick (like I have been)...may turn out to be a huge steal. He is not getting much publicity playing in Brew City with a traditionally poor team.....but times they are a changing in Milwaukee.
4Pack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Nene » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:21 am

After owning Barmes last year, I got to draft him 213th!! in a league with the same other 9 managers again. I guess they just don't learn ;)
[b]Founder of the Hilarious Homers League[/b]
Nene Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby DGroundhog » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:58 am

Injuryphiles will laugh, but what about Nomar? Has he really fallen that far off the radar? Dude has had 6 solid years in the bigs, and 3 injury riddled ones. If he stays healthy, he's still a career .320 hitter.

Playing 1B should be less taxing, and the additional position eligibility generally increases a players value. There's at least some upside there.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dukesimms » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:54 am

I got Barmes in the 13th, ss flew off board early then grabbed Guillen in last round for insurance.
dukesimms
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dans » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:07 am

I like Lugo for the value of where you can get him.
Dans
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby hooligan1 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:35 am

If I don't get one of the top 1/2 dozen or so, I'll probably just wait and grab O-Cab or Renteria in the later rounds. Two guys who will both be undervalued but almost always put up adequate to very good stats.
Hooligan1
hooligan1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Uumm, micro-managing my fantasy baseball teams. Where else?

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:54 am

hooligan1 wrote:If I don't get one of the top 1/2 dozen or so, I'll probably just wait and grab O-Cab or Renteria in the later rounds. Two guys who will both be undervalued but almost always put up adequate to very good stats.

What O-Cab were you watching that put up adequate/very good stats last year? Or the year before that? He was horrible in Montreal before being traded. He hasn't had a good full season since 03.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby hooligan1 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:12 pm

Re: Orlando Cabrera. I would call 70 runs, 8 hrs, 57rbi, 21 steals and .257 decent numbers. Not great, mind you, but OK....... I don't think it's outlandish to think he could improve on those numbers somewhat, possibly to the tune of 80-12-65-25-.270, esp. if he were to be moved up in the order. He's only 31 and has put up very solid seasons in the past.
Hooligan1
hooligan1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Uumm, micro-managing my fantasy baseball teams. Where else?

Postby Ender » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:12 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:
hooligan1 wrote:If I don't get one of the top 1/2 dozen or so, I'll probably just wait and grab O-Cab or Renteria in the later rounds. Two guys who will both be undervalued but almost always put up adequate to very good stats.

What O-Cab were you watching that put up adequate/very good stats last year? Or the year before that? He was horrible in Montreal before being traded. He hasn't had a good full season since 03.

For a lower tier SS his stats were fine last year, especially in the second half when he started to steal more. Nobody is saying you'll get 5th round value out of these guys, but they aren't going to kill your team either.

As for Peralta I think he's an interesting case like Cantu in the other thread. He was not hyped up to be as good as he played and unlike Cantu his MLE's didn't suggest he'd have that much power either. I think he's a much bigger bust candidate than Cantu is though he's also going a round or two later so that probably makes up for it.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers