Thoughts on Shortstop Drafting - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on Shortstop Drafting

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BritSox » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:04 pm

As far as I'm concerned, you've got your eight good SS, then it falls off a cliff.

Tejada
Young
Jeter
Rollins
Reyes
Furcal
Peralta
Lopez

Below that, you've got 'one good month' Barmes, Crosby, who i like but who is a HUGE injury risk, Nomar, who's like Crosby but even more so, and goes higher, and a bunch of guys who will either hit .250 or manage three homers all season.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby 5 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:09 pm

I know what you mean. I've found myself passing on mediocre players just to fill a scarce position. I think I'll target Barmes but I'm not sure how far he's falling these days. In what round is he being drafted this year?
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:11 pm

BritSox wrote:As far as I'm concerned, you've got your eight good SS, then it falls off a cliff.

Tejada
Young
Jeter
Rollins
Reyes
Furcal
Peralta
Lopez

Below that, you've got 'one good month' Barmes, Crosby, who i like but who is a HUGE injury risk, Nomar, who's like Crosby but even more so, and goes higher, and a bunch of guys who will either hit .250 or manage three homers all season.

Peralta and Lopez are hardly sure things and both are going round 6-10. I feel more comnfortable spending a top 5 round pick on one of the first 6 than I do spending a 6-10 pick on the latter 2. Like you said, if they do not pan out, what lies beyond is pretty lousy and/or far riskier. A round 6 pick on Peralta or one on a #2 fantasy SP...or a #1 closer...or a pretty good hitter in the OF?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby 5 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:14 pm

Yanks04 - why so down on Peralta? He was pretty studly once he started playing full-time. I know - I was neck and neck with another team so I was rooting against him the entire time.
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:31 pm

5 wrote:Yanks04 - why so down on Peralta? He was pretty studly once he started playing full-time. I know - I was neck and neck with another team so I was rooting against him the entire time.

I like Peralta actually...just not at his current pricetag. I simply do not like to pay top 8 round prices for guys that are not proven or guys I have suspicions about becuase of injury or inconsistency. There are plenty of quality options in those rounds, so it is not like you are debating between Peralta and some mediocre fantasy OF like say Dye. Do I want Peralta or do I want Damon or Marcus Giles or Pettitte or Izzy or whoever depending on what round Perlata goes? I usually opt for the surer thing unless it is a keeper league and the surer thing is 37+ years old or something like that.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:20 pm

any one else worried about furcal's avg at dodger stadium throughout his career?

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:29 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:any one else worried about furcal's avg at dodger stadium throughout his career?

Not really. We heard the same nonsense about Kent last season. And while Kent is a better and more established player, Furcal is pretty much proven to be what he is year in and out. HE was not racking up numbers in COors or Texas either.

You are not drafting him for power too, which makes any minimal impact there almost insignifcant. Also, he played what...3 games a year in Dodger Stadium?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:40 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Also, he played what...3 games a year in Dodger Stadium?

:-?
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby gforce1124 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:46 pm

has there been any word on how aggressive grady little might be as the new manager in LA? with boston he was pretty conservative, but they've been going in that moneyball direction for a while. o/u on 35 steals for furcal?
gforce1124
College Coach
College Coach

Postby pat1999 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:10 pm

ive done 5 drafts on yahoo and barmes has been going a lot higher then i thought he would be...i saw someone take barmes with peralta still on the board...not sayins that was a good idea but it happend,..

after tejada,young,reyes,rollins,furcal,jeter i think its basically hit or miss...peralta and lopez are appealing but its unknown what kind of production your going to get out of them...and if these guys are all gone im not taking a ss anytime soon...ill wait for lugo or crosby,greene....nomar will be eligible at ss and is worth a late round flier...

what do you guys think of taking hanley ramirez in the late rounds...looks like he has the nod in florida and should provide decent sb support...should aslo be a nice pick in keeper leagues/..
greatest game on earth
pat1999
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers