Thoughts on Shortstop Drafting - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on Shortstop Drafting

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thoughts on Shortstop Drafting

Postby Field » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:32 am

I've already completed a few drafts so far, and after Young and Tejada go I'm having trouble deciding when to take a SS. The rest of the upper-tier of SS are usually gone by the end of round 3 like Jeter, Rollins and Reyes. Then Lopez and Peralta usually follow soon there after. None of these guys seems appealing to me when they get drafted. Is it best just to wait on and pick a Renteria or Cabrera type later on or to spend a high pick on a second level SS like Lugo?

Basically, I just want to know what your thinking is regarding SS's going into drafts this year because I can't figure this out.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dewey finn » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:52 am

Just draft Barmes or Hardy in the last round. Or Ellis/Crosby near the end or whenever they're the top SS still available.
dewey finn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:05 am

If Peralta or Lopez is still on the board in the 8th I would take them then, if they go earlier I'd rather wait until much later and grab someone like Barmes, Crosby, or even Greene.
Last edited by Art Vandelay on Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:07 am

I just got Furcal at 47 overall. I can live with/am pretty happy that. I personally like any of the top 6 SSs if you get them at the right place:

Tejada (late round 1 to mid round 2)
Young (late round 2/round 3)
Reyes (round 3 or 4)
Jeter (round 3 or 4)
Furcal (late round 4 or 5)
Rollins (like him the least of the 6 frankly...I know others would disagree)...(round 5 or 6)

Three of them (Reyes, Rollins and Furcal) are all basically the same value. Reyes though gets more steals with a bit less power.

After that, Perlata and Felipe Lopez represent a risk vs reward ratio I simply do not like. Peralta may be very good, but I am not paying round 6-8 prices for him. Lopez is much more likely to be a bust.

Basically, try to get one of the top 6 at the right price. Otherwise, you probably are better off taking a late round stab with Barmes or Renteria and taking your chances. I can't see using a round 6-10 pick on a Peralta or Lopez type.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dcskater619 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:18 am

michael young at late 2nd is robbery..hes a late 1st/early 2nd
dcskater619
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:24 am

dcskater619 wrote:michael young at late 2nd is robbery..hes a late 1st/early 2nd

Probably where he goes, but I am not paying for him there. If someone wants to take him that early, I let them and look to get Reyes or Furcal or Jeter. No way I am taking Young over Abreau or Crawford or Tejada or Bay or Wright etc.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Eagle Baseball » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:13 pm

SS and 2B always seem like good positions to punt (if the draft does not fall like you think and big names are on the board when you planned on taking a SS or 2B) but in the end it seems to come up and bite me in the butt when I do it. So I say get a good one when you can.
Eagle Baseball
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Zito is God » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:17 pm

I take a couple of SS's I belive in that are not tier 1:

Renteria
Hardy
Crosby
Greene

Unless I could get Young I would not bother getting any one of those other guys. If Crosby stays healthy he will be close to the numbers of some of the top ones anyways. renteria has a good chance of bouncing back as well.

Lately I have noticed I punt 3 positions (C,2B,SS) in all my mocks. :-?

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby MMoNeY24 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:26 pm

I usually hope to get one of the better ones because being stuck with Orlando Cabrera and Renteria in 2 seperate leagues last year was torture.

Michael Young is too early for my taste, even if he's the top SS. I landed Tejada in the mid-late 2nd in the two public league drafts I did and ended up with a good team overall. The guys that are most appealing to me are Jeter, Rollins, and Furcal at their average draft spots; I love Reyes, but he usually gets scooped up before expected to be taken.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby acsguitar » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:32 pm

dewey finn wrote:Just draft Barmes or Hardy in the last round. Or Ellis/Crosby near the end or whenever they're the top SS still available.

Barmes won't be going in the last round
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers