Best Guitarist Ever - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Best Guitarist Ever

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RugbyD » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:37 am

slomo007 wrote:
3 run homer wrote:
Skydog_71 wrote:O without a doubt, Page, Hendrix, Clapton, SRV, King, etc. are all amazing guitarists, but to say that Allman can not hold a candle to them obviously shows that you dont listen to ABB. I would have expected to see Duane on some of these lists, hes number 2 on Rolling Stone Magazines top 100 guitarists of all time. Duane may not have been an amazinly fast guitarist like Page, but he was as creative as Hendrix and played all over the fret board.

Also guys like malmstein, vai and satrianni are really very talented, but the music they play is garbage in my opinion, i cant stand listening to it, no matter how talented they are. Plus i dont really like shredders like that.

I think Duane is a great player, but the Allman Brothers are much better as a band than he is a stand alone player Just not an innovator. Billy Gibbons is head and shoulders ahead of Duane. And I don't put a lot of credit into a rolling stone list #1 it changes every year #2 the dude from creed was #1 one year, how credible can that list be.

His name is Mark Tremonti. He got his fame from Creed, but his true talent is showing with his new band - Alter Bridge. Stapp was always the control-freak of Creed, and didn't let Mark do what he wanted to do. Before bashing Mark for being considered one of the greatest guitarists ever, you should check out his new stuff and make your decision. There is no doubt in my mind that he should be included in any such list. Don't be ignorant to the idea that just because he was in Creed, then there's no way he can rock out. Creed started as a true rock band and progressed in to a commercial rock band. The split was a great thing for Tremonti, and Alter Bridge is putting out music that is absolutely incredible, IMO.

Alter Bridge is gooooooood stuff! ;-D
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:45 am

Glad to hear you're on board rugby. I've been to two of their shows and have met the entire band. They're a great group of down to earth guys without huge ego problems. They're bigger in Europe for some reason than they are in America. It's strange, I think it has to do with promotion.

I have a concert in Scotland and the crowd is huge and reciting every word. Here, they are the sideshow act for the 3DoorsDown concert. :-P

The next CD had better sell more than 800,000 albums or I will lose all faith in American "rock" music. :-t
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:03 am

My top five...

1. Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen)
2. Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin)
3. Alex Lifeson (Rush)
4. David Gilmour (Pink Floyd)
5. Randy Rhoads (Ozzy/Quiet Riot)
Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafecasterTrivia Time Trial Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:21 am

Eddie Van Halen
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 296)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Mookie4ever » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:14 am

Anyone can sound good on a record. The best that I have seen live are Alex Lifeson, Mark Knoffler and Edge. Knoffler and Edge were pretty progressive with their styles as well, but I'm not into guitarists as much as others on this board.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby bceagles04 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:11 pm

slomo007 wrote:Glad to hear you're on board rugby. I've been to two of their shows and have met the entire band. They're a great group of down to earth guys without huge ego problems. They're bigger in Europe for some reason than they are in America. It's strange, I think it has to do with promotion.

I have a concert in Scotland and the crowd is huge and reciting every word. Here, they are the sideshow act for the 3DoorsDown concert. :-P

The next CD had better sell more than 800,000 albums or I will lose all faith in American "rock" music. :-t

I have yet to see Tremonti live, but from what I have heard on Alter Bridge's first record...I am VERY impressed. They are a great band with great singing, lyrics, and guitar work. Tremonti is good becuase he knows when to be subtle and when to bust out.

Guitar One or Guitar World, did an issue on him, it came with a video, and he has some chops!
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby catcher-03 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:51 pm

If Eric Clapton says that you were the best guitarist ever, I'll take his word for it. Stevie Ray was a P.I.M.P....
catcher-03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby RugbyD » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:49 pm

slomo007 wrote:Glad to hear you're on board rugby. I've been to two of their shows and have met the entire band. They're a great group of down to earth guys without huge ego problems. They're bigger in Europe for some reason than they are in America. It's strange, I think it has to do with promotion.

yeah, europe is definitely more receptive to the harder, heavier, and technically superior sounds.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby beltrans_boy » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:54 pm

Scott Henderson = greatest guitar player I've ever heard

Al di Meola is a close 2nd

[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bceagles04 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:50 am

catcher-03 wrote:If Eric Clapton says that you were the best guitarist ever, I'll take his word for it. Stevie Ray was a P.I.M.P....

did he really...wow i did not know that! SRV is easy top 5 in my book.
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk