how does ip works? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

how does ip works?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:56 am

Coppermine wrote:
logan wrote:well aol is now forcing their subs to move to broadband as that is the only service they will be offereing now.(no more dial up) $25.95 a month for their BB service that does absolutely nothing as they are not the ISP. so you still have to go out and buy regular BB internet service and then pay aol more money for something that in the end makes no difference as you already are BB.

This is what I never understood; AOL for Broadband... OK, so I'm supposed to go out and get DSL or Cable, THEN pay AOL $30/month ON TOP OF THAT just so I can keep my silly AOL Screenname and have @aol.com at the end of my emails, which by the way, is becoming increasingly passe.

Now they're pushing this AOL security thing; ok, so I can pay AOL 30 bucks a month for security and virus protection, or I can pay McAfee 30 bucks a year. Hmmm, that's a tough one.

People are so susceptable to advertising.

if the general public was just a little smarter AOL would be out of business by now
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:41 am

Madison wrote:It's because you are on dial up. Each time you get on the net, you get an IP from your provider. They use blocks of numbers that all their members share.

You should see how many people use AOHELL dial up around here. 8-o

I was actually using my school computer yesterday so are those guys in my school district? :-?
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:58 am

I mean couldn't it be because you are all on routers that assingn out a standard IP to each computer like 192.168.0.1 - 100 or something to that effect.

Also, if you don't wanna use dialup just get a hawking directional wireless adapter! They are sweet and pick up any wireless signal in the area...

;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:00 pm

acsguitar wrote:I mean couldn't it be because you are all on routers that assingn out a standard IP to each computer like 192.168.0.1 - 100 or something to that effect.

Also, if you don't wanna use dialup just get a hawking directional wireless adapter! They are sweet and pick up any wireless signal in the area...

;-D

could but it's still creepy knowing someone from my school district is here

have to say nice things about Kansas now :-D
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:02 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
acsguitar wrote:I mean couldn't it be because you are all on routers that assingn out a standard IP to each computer like 192.168.0.1 - 100 or something to that effect.

;-D

could but it's still creepy knowing someone from my school district is here

have to say nice things about Kansas now :-D

I don't think they are in your school district..but hey maybee they are..i'm not sure how you are coming up with this
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:43 pm

Phatferd wrote:I wanna know how you can make 6000 posts using dial-up?

That's a miracle by itself.

My first 10-12 thousand were on dial up, but I had never used any kind of high speed internet prior to signing up for DSL. I'm never going back to dial up again!

PlayingWithFire wrote:I was actually using my school computer yesterday so are those guys in my school district?

Not necessarily. Dial up IP's rotate, as in, go from one computer to another. Not at the same time, but someone could have posted from say IP 1.1.1.1.1.1 on their computer in January, then you wound up with IP 1.1.1.1.1.1 and posted from it in February from your computer. Both users will show up when you pull your IP here. Make any more sense now?

Just pull your IP up again and check out how many different IP's you've posted from. You know you haven't posted from that many different computers.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby acsguitar » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:45 pm

Just curious how do you do this IP checking? form this site
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:03 pm

acsguitar wrote:Just curious how do you do this IP checking? form this site

Mod powers B-) . PWF has mod powers in one of the mock draft forums.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby 3 run homer » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:19 pm

logan wrote:well aol is now forcing their subs to move to broadband as that is the only service they will be offereing now.(no more dial up) $25.95 a month for their BB service that does absolutely nothing as they are not the ISP. so you still have to go out and buy regular BB internet service and then pay aol more money for something that in the end makes no difference as you already are BB.

so in essesnce if you pay 50 a month for cable internet access and you have aol you will be paying 75 a month to use the worst browser and program on the face of the planet to do things you can do for 50. but on the good side now that it is so expensive to have aol maybe people will figure out that there are much better things out there. but probably not.

I don't think dial up is going away. But they did raise their price to $25.95
I also hear that if you call member services and ask them to terminate your membership they will give you some months free. or there is like 5$ plan
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
Hail to the Redskins, Hail to victory, Braves on the warpath fight for ol' DC
3 run homer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:41 pm

I have mod powers in the cool guy forum I thought
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero