Dunn. Love Him or Hate Him? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dunn. Love Him or Hate Him?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:26 pm

BTW, have you met Miner2 ..? You guys will get along great.
welcome to the cafe. :-)
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31638
(Past Year: 1155)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:27 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:Look at the tag-team here. Like I said before, you two are obviously scorn. Attack you? Right.. You've both ranted and raved for the past few pages about how Dunn sucks, and how anyone who has a high opinion on him is sadly delusional.

I mean Yoda's last post says it all. That is the type of response that twists the facts, and ignores reality.

Oh, and don't worry on not blowing my mind - you did for the second straight time.


Do you honestly have anything else to contribute other than your feeble attempts at flaming people for no apparent reason? Obviously not.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:16 pm

Yoda wrote:
JustAnotherYanksFan wrote: I don't find it that hard to see him hitting .255 or .260


This is where people are wrong. Dunn hit over .249 exactly once in his career when he hit .266 in 04.

Obviously if you play in an OBP league, he is much more valuable but his BA actually hurts you in standard leagues. He is a 3 category producer who is grossly overrated.


Dunn has been in the league 6 years. 2001-2003 he clearly still was developing. But between 2004 and 2006, he's hit .266, .247, and .239. So no, I really don't find it that hard to see him hitting .255 or .260. I never said that was a lock; I said it was towards his ceiling but that it was fully within the range that what he's capable of doing (and what he's already surpassed in the past).

And the reason why people seem to like Dunn so much compared to how he's produced the last two years, if you guys are still wondering, is just that he's got so much potential. Any time a guy's floor is 40 HR, people are going to value him. I'm not saying he was worth his average draft pick this year, but he's still an attractive pick (to me, at least) because you're guaranteed close to 100-40-100, and his ceiling is huge.
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1004
Joined: 25 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:30 pm

JustAnotherYanksFan wrote:
Yoda wrote:
JustAnotherYanksFan wrote: I don't find it that hard to see him hitting .255 or .260


This is where people are wrong. Dunn hit over .249 exactly once in his career when he hit .266 in 04.

Obviously if you play in an OBP league, he is much more valuable but his BA actually hurts you in standard leagues. He is a 3 category producer who is grossly overrated.


Dunn has been in the league 6 years. 2001-2003 he clearly still was developing. But between 2004 and 2006, he's hit .266, .247, and .239. So no, I really don't find it that hard to see him hitting .255 or .260. I never said that was a lock; I said it was towards his ceiling but that it was fully within the range that what he's capable of doing (and what he's already surpassed in the past).

And the reason why people seem to like Dunn so much compared to how he's produced the last two years, if you guys are still wondering, is just that he's got so much potential. Any time a guy's floor is 40 HR, people are going to value him. I'm not saying he was worth his average draft pick this year, but he's still an attractive pick (to me, at least) because you're guaranteed close to 100-40-100, and his ceiling is huge.


His ceiling cannot be as high as people think it is because he clearly hurts you in a category every year. Even if he does hit .260, he is hurting you in BA.

Plus after watching him regress in his prime, I lost a lot of respect for him. Why pay for his potential?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby Yoda » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:39 pm

You would figure that a regression year in his prime age would turn people off but no... People will continue to chase his monster year which may or may not come. I don't get it.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby Kurtangletn » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:42 pm

Hate
"This flag dips to no earthly king."
Kurtangletn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 538
Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:46 pm

Yoda wrote:You would figure that a regression year in his prime age would turn people off but no... People will continue to chase his monster year which may or may not come. I don't get it.



The same reason peeople will chase after Prior year in and out. Or kept drafting Griffey high for years after it was obvious he could not stay healthy. Dunn is what he is. A guy that will hit homers and hit for an avg between 230 and 260. Draft him accordingly. If he hits 260 something, he is not a bad player to have around as the damage to the avg category is not too bad. One of those .232 seasons though make him a a lot less attractive a fantasy OF.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero


Posts: 9531
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fade2White12 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:25 pm

Yoda wrote:Do you honestly have anything else to contribute other than your feeble attempts at flaming people for no apparent reason? Obviously not.


What is this? I made an unbias post, and then was negatively and sarcastically lumped into this fictitious group of Dunn lovers whom you both have some divine ideological loathing for. I think it is quite obvious I can contribute, no matter what subject of discussion - which is precisely what I tried to do. However, when people prohibit that, or trivialize it, what's the point? My neutral discourse will probably turn into a swarm of "OMG, ur in luv w/ Dunn - go marry him!" I'm sure that would be stimulating, but not quite what I look for. Also, I frankly do not care if I get on anyone's bad side - like that will invoke some feelings of terror inside me... But whatever the case, I'll continue to defend myself, what I say, and others if necessary. I value what most people say, to certain extents, but how you say things, and with what level of maturity, makes a difference. Anyway, I'll leave this be - but feel free to double or triple team me for little reason other I don't have thousands of posts. Yes, welcome me to the Cafe.
Image
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3852
(Past Year: 72)
Joined: 7 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Michigan

Postby Yoda » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:53 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:
Yoda wrote:You would figure that a regression year in his prime age would turn people off but no... People will continue to chase his monster year which may or may not come. I don't get it.



The same reason peeople will chase after Prior year in and out. Or kept drafting Griffey high for years after it was obvious he could not stay healthy. Dunn is what he is. A guy that will hit homers and hit for an avg between 230 and 260. Draft him accordingly. If he hits 260 something, he is not a bad player to have around as the damage to the avg category is not too bad. One of those .232 seasons though make him a a lot less attractive a fantasy OF.


People ahve been overpaying for Dunn for years in hopes of that one big year. It will come but I am not sure if he can achieve one of those seasons and stay up there for good.

Maybe after this down year, he will be a bargain at the 07 draft but... I doubt it.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:21 pm

Yoda wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:
Yoda wrote:You would figure that a regression year in his prime age would turn people off but no... People will continue to chase his monster year which may or may not come. I don't get it.



The same reason peeople will chase after Prior year in and out. Or kept drafting Griffey high for years after it was obvious he could not stay healthy. Dunn is what he is. A guy that will hit homers and hit for an avg between 230 and 260. Draft him accordingly. If he hits 260 something, he is not a bad player to have around as the damage to the avg category is not too bad. One of those .232 seasons though make him a a lot less attractive a fantasy OF.


People ahve been overpaying for Dunn for years in hopes of that one big year. It will come but I am not sure if he can achieve one of those seasons and stay up there for good.

Maybe after this down year, he will be a bargain at the 07 draft
but... I doubt it.


Well yeah, that's the idea. I mean if we know Dunn is going to hit somewhere between .230 and .270 with anywhere from 40 to 50 HR (or potentially even more), then even though this season has been a little disappointing, clearly next year is the time to go after him.
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1004
Joined: 25 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: abc11435, apz, germani40, louisajn1, NikkiSixx, silverZ, slink and 13 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Apr. 23
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Arizona at Chi Cubs
(12:10 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(2:20 pm)
Texas at Oakland
(3:10 pm)
Houston at Seattle
(3:35 pm)
Kansas City at Cleveland
(3:40 pm)
LA Angels at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Toronto at Toronto
(7:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Baltimore at Baltimore
(7:07 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
NY Yankees at Boston
(7:10 pm)
St. Louis at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Minnesota at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
San Diego at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
Philadelphia at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact