Sell me the idea of taking SPs early. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sell me the idea of taking SPs early.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Dan Charette » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:01 pm

I like to get 1 ace . A top 10 Pitcher. 3rd round,. I hope for guys like Oswalt , Peavey, Carpenter, Halladay. I would even consider taking Santana in round 1 , if I had pick # 8 or later.
To each their own , but I want one of these guys on my team.
I know there's plenty of good starting pitchers, but I feel I can still get a good hitting team, and have a true ace.

Dan the Bluesman B-)
Dan Charette
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WharfRat » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:01 pm

I could see taking pitchers early for one reason alone: They don't compete against the other teams' hitters, but against the other teams' pitchers. If your ace is pitching once every five days, well so is every other team's ace. To me, it's all relative.

Having said that, I don't normally take SPs early myself, because of the injury factor, which seems greater (though that may be just an assumption on my part), and because
AcidRock23 wrote:the hitters around him make me drool more...

;-D
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby BigLebowski » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:03 pm

And......as many have said they would take a pitcher early, they nobody has made an statement that would justify such an action.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 473)

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:03 pm

Was just about to post what rainman said...

In a league, you have half pitching and half hitting cats (almost always). So while generally your SP will only contribute to 4 cats, one dominant SP is worth alot.

If you have a really great SP (say Harden healthy), he'll outweigh hitters taken 4-5, possible the 3rd. Do I think it's a great idea to take starters in the 1st and 2nd rounds? No, but taking them around the 3-4th seems fine.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby J_Cuz » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:48 pm

BigLebowski wrote:
J_Cuz wrote:Carpenter= mid-round....I don't think so. :-o

Was using last year's results, sorry.

There are many this year with that type of upside, Davis is one, Patterson as well. My point is that if you draft value then starters don't hold as well as position players.
www.igglephans.com
J_Cuz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:52 pm

An ace starting pitcher will pitch about 200 IP, maybe a bit more. That's about a sixth of your total IP in a standard roto league with a 1250 inning maximum. Meanwhile, a hitter is only going to contribute one-ninth of your total hitting stats. (Obviously this argument applies differently depending on how many hitters you have and what your maximum number of innings is.)

I took Jason Schmidt in the second round last year, so I'm as wary of SP's early as anyone else. But you said you wanted an argument, so there's one for you, at least.
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Zito is God » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:56 pm

J_Cuz wrote:
BigLebowski wrote:
J_Cuz wrote:Carpenter= mid-round....I don't think so. :-o

Was using last year's results, sorry.

There are many this year with that type of upside, Davis is one, Patterson as well. My point is that if you draft value then starters don't hold as well as position players.

Umm...if you're using last years results he is a top 5 pitcher.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby J_Cuz » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:36 am

I like this place but it is argumantative to the point of sheer absurdity at times.

My basic premise, beyond all you fortune tellers who were adamant that Street was a year away last season (while the downtrodden of us pl;aced him on our benches like Lidge and K-Rod before him), is that an ASTUTE OWNER uses the results from last season's DRAFT to explain this season's strategies.

Carpenter WAS selected in the 8-10 rounds last season, that's where I got him, Sabathia and Capuano.

btw, There is no reason to be jerks about your own insistence to not comprehend posts. It just makes you guys look like dorks... and it makes me wonder exactly how well you's compete with real players in fantasy sports.

But hey, you can sure pontificate your butts off on whatyou THINK will happen with a player regardless of the closeness of the pontifications to ACTUAL FACT, in fact do that. Stick with what you're best at and keep the FANTASY in Fantasy Baseball.
www.igglephans.com
J_Cuz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby coachbob » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:12 am

Injuries is a huge part of the reason to leave pitchers alone for the first couple of rounds. Always check the injury record of any player before you pick him up but also take note of the length of time that a pitcher will stay on the DL compared to a position player. Last year I had Gagne and you couldn't give me that bum in the final round ever again.
[url=http://www.baseballdrills.info]Baseball Drills[/url]
coachbob
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:14 am

I'm going to avoid the 2 pages here, and simply respond to the subject....

'No.' :-]
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers