Why Vmart is more valuable than Bay: - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why Vmart is more valuable than Bay:

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby beatdrum » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:45 am

I'm too lazy to read the other posts, so I don't know if this has been addressed, but...

I don't think VMart is a 1st rounder simply because you can get him in the 3rd round-easy. If I could go back in time to last year, knowing what I know now, I wouldn't pick Derrek Lee or Dontrelle Willis in the first 5 rounds, because they could be had later even though both posted 1st round numbers.

I think you're right in the sense that VMart is highly underrated and position scarcity should be taken into account, but know your enemy.
beatdrum
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 342
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 23 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dannahann » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:01 pm

phillibuster wrote:You know, an interesting experiment in relation to fantasy topics and posts such as this would be to figure out that indeed those who would oppose a topic such as this would be non-Vmart owners, and those that agree would be Vmart owners.

Is there a Vmart owner that would not agree with this assessment? I don't know that the math here has really proven anything. But it is more opinion based...those who don't own Vmart aren't going to buy this crap...but me being an owner of course think there is some truth to it.

When I drafted VMart going into his rookie season in my keeper league I caught grief for jumping too early. I was able to keep him thru the 2005 season and won 3 titles in the process. I'm VERY attached to VMart and was disapointed when our keeper system made him too expensive for me to keep last month.
All that said, OBJECTIVE ADVICE is what I always try and provide. I'm the guy who earlier in this thread pointed out the flaws in the batting average computation and also that he was badly screwing the Bay drafter in his 6 player per side draft scenario, to try and makehis point.
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 1991
(Past Year: 65)
Joined: 26 Jun 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Missouri

Postby stoner420 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:53 pm

My findings:

Im doing a points league and with several projections lists combined generated a projected pts total for both:

I have Bay projected at 600 pts under my leagues scoring.
I have VicMart at 450.

Now... Im in a 12 team league.

The ave starting outfielder in my league will net 496 pts
Whereas the ave starting C will net 349 pts.

If you subtract each of their projected pt totals from the position ave...

Bay: 104 Points Minus Par(PIMP)
VIc: 101 Points Minus Par(PIMP)

So they are basically even in my book, thus....my suggestion for all of you is:

Draft Bay late first, early second.
Draft Vic late third, early fourth.

and be happy that you have both.


but the fact of the matter is this: if you have the choice between drafting one or the other, you gotta go with bay and cross your fingers that vic falls.
Image
stoner420
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 279
Joined: 24 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Boston

Postby bronxxbomber » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:49 pm

Hey, I think Vmart is definitely worthy of a top 4 pick in all formats. I think the argument would be a lot different wasn't so awful to start the season. I think Vmart will continue to improve and is definitely going to be a top 2 round talent.
Image
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3552
Joined: 7 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Watching Over Everything

Postby dewey finn » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:51 pm

Zito is God wrote:I really feel like this is either a rookie FBB player or a troll.


Bingo
dewey finn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 513
Joined: 24 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby RugbyD » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:25 pm

by my rankings of what i consider to be potentially draftable players, the gap between Vmart and Varitek is 4.40 while the gap between Bay and the #40 OF is 4.71. Add in the fact that there are many OFs that could finish the season at 40, but you know varitez will end up in the top few Cs, and the choice of Bay is easy.

and this is with:
Vmart
73- 26- 105- 0- 0.298

Bay
96- 33- 105- 17- 0.295
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 5591
Joined: 7 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: punting small dogs and being surly

Postby olympia0731 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:04 pm

[quote="dewey finn"][quote="Zito is God"]
I really feel like this is either a rookie FBB player or a [b]troll[/b].[/quote]

Bingo[/quote]

Yup you got me, i am a troll. LOL
WHy the personal attakcs, this is just an opinion no n eed to get all rowled up. That was pointless and obnoxious, and did not realy help the thread. WHY be so rude.
olympia0731
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 269
Joined: 26 Dec 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:09 pm

olympia0731 wrote:
dewey finn wrote:
Zito is God wrote:I really feel like this is either a rookie FBB player or a troll.


Bingo


Yup you got me, i am a troll. LOL
WHy the personal attakcs, this is just an opinion no n eed to get all rowled up. That was pointless and obnoxious, and did not realy help the thread. WHY be so rude.


I'm not taking sides here, but it didn't sound like 'just an opinion' when you first posted.

olympia0731 wrote:This is a fact.
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11949
(Past Year: 54)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Xtreemes » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:21 pm

You made up stats and facts. You messed with statistics, draft ranking, and logic to "prove" your point. How are people supposed to take you seriously? If you started the thread off with "In my opinion Victor Martinez is more valuable than Bay" and then made a logical argument, even if people didnt agree with it they wouldn't look at this as a joke.
Xtreemes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 533
Joined: 29 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ayebatter, ensanimal and 12 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Jul. 29
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

LA Angels at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Seattle at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
Milwaukee at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Philadelphia at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Arizona at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Toronto at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Colorado at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
NY Yankees at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Oakland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Atlanta at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
St. Louis at San Diego
(10:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at San Francisco
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact