Why Vmart is more valuable than Bay: - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why Vmart is more valuable than Bay:

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Ender » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:04 pm

In a standard 12 team league positional scarcity doesn't mean a whole lot. In deeper or larger leagues it starts to matter a lot more. In general standard roster 12 team leagues aren't very good though and my first bit of advice to anyone serious about fantasy is to find a deeper league to play, you'll enjoy it a lot more.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BigLebowski » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:25 pm

Ender wrote:In a standard 12 team league positional scarcity doesn't mean a whole lot. In deeper or larger leagues it starts to matter a lot more. In general standard roster 12 team leagues aren't very good though and my first bit of advice to anyone serious about fantasy is to find a deeper league to play, you'll enjoy it a lot more.

I agree...the league I have the most fun is by far is my NL only league with 23 players each team. NO BENCH.

Position scarcity is def. taken into account in this league, because the talent pool is so thin at some positions. However, I still could never find a way to take V-mart over Bay. But in a 12 team mixed league there is depth at every position, and this isn't even a valid arguement.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 479)

Postby Zito is God » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:26 pm

Your logic is so messed up I can't bear to even comprehend it!

You claim VMart is first round, they you say you're taking Utley, THEN Tejada, THEN VMart. So you eventually get him in the third meaning you could have BOTH Bay and VMart?!

Also, with your draft strategy, you took a COMPLETELY random set of players and pit their stats agains eachother and you think this is accurate?!

Furthermiore, I did not understand your comparison with VMart and Posada. You seemed to just MAKE UP random stats when comparing them...

I really feel like this is either a rookie FBB player or a troll.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:37 pm

It does fly in the face of fantasy articles I read BEFORE I even drafted my first team! I can't see .300 and 20 something HR w/ no steals being more valuable than Bay.

The whole argument about adding in a theoretical OF later may not work out in practice either either. I did a TSN mock yesterday and there was an odd OF run about the 7th or 8th round that pretty much zapped most of the middling but not pathetic OF guys. I got Pujols/ Tejada/ Utley/ Aram for an IF so I was not totally bummed out but OF seems shallower this year than I recall from last year. And that's w/ preseason projections which, for some of those guys (eg Holliday & Crisp) seem a bit optimistic, at least in the power dept. Unfortunately, my computer blew up about that time as I'd forgotten to get rid of the spybots AcidDaughter had unleashed on it so I didn't get to play it out until the end.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby sharksfan1139 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:27 am

moose32 wrote:someone took Vmart number 1 overall in a draft i lol'd

happened to me too but his name was like Tribefan
sharksfan1139
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

A few things...

Postby glcmustliveon » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:59 am

SO, first of all I think it is entirely possible for BOTH Bay and Martinez to be on the same team, in fact, it really just depends on how much you want Vmart. About Pos scarcity, in my points league I did some analysis, heres the results....

Vmart is projected to get 453 points, which is 2.8 standard deviations above the mean for catchers,

Bay is projected at 573 points, which is 2.07 standard deviations above the mean OF...

But really, this is a stupid argument, Why would anybody take Vmart in the first when they could easily have him in the second, if not the third or even fourth? Bay isnt even as valuable in my league as he would be in a roto league and hes still projected to be the best OF...

"I hope he arouses the fire that's dormant in the innermost recesses of my soul." --Ichiro Suzuki on Dice-K
glcmustliveon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: A few things...

Postby phillibuster » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:52 am

LOL...I agree...just pick Bay and Vmart......I do understand what is being stated, in my points league my ability to start Vmart and for him to rack up points at C when the next best C will overall score 100 points less than Vmart in a season is a great plus...but I'd still draft Bay over Vmart.

glcmustliveon wrote:SO, first of all I think it is entirely possible for BOTH Bay and Martinez to be on the same team, in fact, it really just depends on how much you want Vmart. About Pos scarcity, in my points league I did some analysis, heres the results....

Vmart is projected to get 453 points, which is 2.8 standard deviations above the mean for catchers,

Bay is projected at 573 points, which is 2.07 standard deviations above the mean OF...

But really, this is a stupid argument, Why would anybody take Vmart in the first when they could easily have him in the second, if not the third or even fourth? Bay isnt even as valuable in my league as he would be in a roto league and hes still projected to be the best OF...
phillibuster
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Why Vmart is more valuable than Bay:

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:02 am

olympia0731 wrote:Vmart: .305 25 90 85 0+ average of: .282 21 77 80 12 = .294 46 167 165 12
Bay: .305 33 105 105 20 + average catcher .272 13 56 50 2= .289 46 161 155 22

Leaving out the BA issues which another poster brought up, are you really going to sit there and tell me that those 6R and 10RBI are worth more than 10 SBs?

If anything, your analysis proves that Bay + avgC is worth more than VMart + avgOF. :-?
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby phillibuster » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:10 am

You know, an interesting experiment in relation to fantasy topics and posts such as this would be to figure out that indeed those who would oppose a topic such as this would be non-Vmart owners, and those that agree would be Vmart owners.

Is there a Vmart owner that would not agree with this assessment? I don't know that the math here has really proven anything. But it is more opinion based...those who don't own Vmart aren't going to buy this crap...but me being an owner of course think there is some truth to it.
phillibuster
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:28 am

you could consider however that VMart DID stink it up in the first half last year and if doesn't do that this year, he could jack 30. I am not betting on that myself but could see that being figured in. If he had a REALLY big year (and he's of an age, as it were...) then you could ALMOST justify it.

Regards,

Non VMart Owner
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers