Experience with internet phone service? (Vonage, Sunrocket?) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Experience with internet phone service? (Vonage, Sunrocket?)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Experience with internet phone service? (Vonage, Sunrock

Postby JTWood » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:48 am

Iguana wrote:
JTWood wrote:
Coppermine wrote:1. I've never even heard of Sunrocket.

How have you never heard of them? They run GIANT banner ads on this very site. In fact, I'm looking at one of their ads right now. Saying you've never heard of SunRocket is like saying that you haven't heard of GameDayRitual.

:-b

Haha. No kidding. I just noticed their banner ad as I'm writing this.

That's awesome that you have had such great success with SunRocket. Is it true what they say about the "no-hassle" or "no extra fees" pricing, (forgetting the terminology). How cheap does it end up being for you, and what else is good about it?

The $199 package was $199, just as promised. Can't beat that!

;-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Experience with internet phone service? (Vonage, Sunrock

Postby Coppermine » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:25 am

JTWood wrote:
Coppermine wrote:1. I've never even heard of Sunrocket.

How have you never heard of them? They run GIANT banner ads on this very site. In fact, I'm looking at one of their ads right now. Saying you've never heard of SunRocket is like saying that you haven't heard of GameDayRitual.

:-b

For one thing, their service is not available where I live; here it's all Vonage and Packet8, plus maybe a couple other smaller providers.

Today is the first day that I've seen a sunrocket ad on the site... I have firefox setup at home so I can't see banner ads (uh, no, just kidding, of course, I wouldn't do that....) and I finally noticed the sunrocket ad today. Oh well, I guess I'm not up on my broadband phone services. Like I said, i'm not interested because I have a cell phone and see no reason to get a land line. I don't really anticipate ever having a landline actually.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Iguana » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:16 pm

When I switched to a cell phone a few years ago, I figured that was all I'd ever rely on again. But that was partly because landlines are so expensive. When SunRocket has deals like $9.95 a month for a phone line, it seems like that might be worth it for times when your cell phone network goes down, your phone isn't charged, or you just need a second phone option. I mean $10 a month? Why not get a phone? Or if your a big caller, the unlimited plan is obviously cheaper than running up a cell phone bill.
Help me pick my keepers? viewtopic.php?f=26&t=419885
Iguana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ironman » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:14 pm

Mediacom just started offering phone service, which means I'll probably be dumping SBC, er I mean AT&T for them.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby logan » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:23 pm

anyone have any specs on how much BW these things eat? i'm leary to attach anything that takes anymore of my BW. i'd assume it's pretty miniscule but i'm still interested.
logan
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Iguana » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:55 pm

Don't know how much bandwith they use, but I've heard you can contact your internet provider and ask them to increase the amount of bandwith to your residence to accomodate you. I've heard a few people say they can have small problems if they try and use their phones while downloading large files, but most of my friends with SunRocket say for the most part they have almost no problems with their service.
Iguana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JTWood » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:34 pm

Iguana wrote:Don't know how much bandwith they use, but I've heard you can contact your internet provider and ask them to increase the amount of bandwith to your residence to accomodate you. I've heard a few people say they can have small problems if they try and use their phones while downloading large files, but most of my friends with SunRocket say for the most part they have almost no problems with their service.

Yeah, we've been experiencing a clicking sound lately if we're using BitTorrent at the same time we're on the phone. Easily solved by simply pausing the d/l, though.

;-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Iguana » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:22 pm

Yeah, as with any new technology, it's not going to be perfect, but when you're able to make unlimited long distance calls for under $20 a month with Sunrocket, I guess you can't complain. I remember when I was a kid and people could run up $120 phone bills just from one busy month of calling!
Iguana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby teddy ballgame » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:59 pm

My mom's been looking into Vonage instead of a normal Comcast landline. I was worried about it slowing down online gaming if someone calls while I'm on Xbox 360 live. :-o
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Iguana » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:34 pm

If you have a strong broadband signal that shouldn't be an issue for you with the X-box. No doubt Vonage is a lot, lot cheaper than a regular landline, but as we were discussing in this thread, you should tell your mom to check out SunRocket http://www.sunrocket.com, it's quite a bit cheaper than Vonage and just as good a service from what I hear.
Iguana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk