Experience with internet phone service? (Vonage, Sunrocket?) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Experience with internet phone service? (Vonage, Sunrocket?)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Experience with internet phone service? (Vonage, Sunrocket?)

Postby Iguana » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:50 pm

Curious if anyone here uses VOIP phone service, like a Vonage or a SunRocket. I've heard really good things from people that make a lot of long distance calls, saying it saves them a ton of money over what they used to pay. Which service is best?
Help me pick my keepers? viewtopic.php?f=26&t=419885
Iguana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Experience with internet phone service? (Vonage, Sunrock

Postby Coppermine » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:55 pm

Iguana wrote:Curious if anyone here uses VOIP phone service, like a Vonage or a SunRocket. I've heard really good things from people that make a lot of long distance calls, saying it saves them a ton of money over what they used to pay. Which service is best?

It's a no-brainer. If you call anyone long distance and you have broadband internet, NOT getting VoIP is moronic.

I don't have it because I don't make enough phone calls to justify a landline; I use my cell phone for everything and it seems pointless to pay two phone bills. Otherwise, I'd get Vonage in a second.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:06 pm

Yea I use my cell for everything but I've only heard good things from people I know
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Iguana » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:29 pm

Coppermine wrote:It's a no-brainer. If you call anyone long distance and you have broadband internet, NOT getting VoIP is moronic.

I don't have it because I don't make enough phone calls to justify a landline; I use my cell phone for everything and it seems pointless to pay two phone bills. Otherwise, I'd get Vonage in a second.

Yeah for people who make a lot of long distance calls, I bet it saves them a TON of money. Why Vonage? My friend with SunRocket raves about it. Apparently it's much cheaper than Vonage. You might want to look into it, they have a $9.95 a month plan they just started up, which I'm thinking is super cheap to get the convenience of a home phone.
Iguana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Coppermine » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:48 pm

Iguana wrote:Why Vonage?

Two reasons...

1. I've never even heard of Sunrocket.

2. Vonage seems to be the industry leader in a new technology; it's quite possible that Sunrocket could go out of business, but Vonage is probably here for the long haul. I'm also not sure about service or features, but I believe Vonage is available in more places.

OK, I got inspired to research it myself:

First of all, CNET has a top notch VoIP review section:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-9140_7-513 ... ml?tag=nav

I also found a list of the Top 5 VoIP providers:
1. Via:Talk
2. Packet8
3. ITP
4. SunRocket
5. Lingo

But that's not very scientific either. Check out the CNET site first.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Iguana » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:28 pm

No doubt Vonage is the biggest right now, but I think their prices are so much higher my friend went with SunRocket. In terms of service and features, my friend was saying one reason he likes SunRocket is they have about 99% compliance for providing 911 service, where as Vonage is still below 50% in terms of ensuring 911 service is available on all their phones.

I'll have to look into stuff more myself, but bigger is not always better is my way of thinking.
Iguana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JTWood » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:09 am

I use SunRocket. Very few issues, and the ones that come up are minor, like clicking on my phone that a simple update removes. And you cannot beat the price. If anyone wants to sign up for SunRocket, let me know. They do referral credits. According to an e-mail they sent me last week:

SunRocket wrote:Friends you refer now will get a free cordless phone system with two handsets just for indicating you sent them...

But I think they offer that without a referral, which makes no sense to me.

:-?

Anyways, they give me $25 if you sign up. I'll shoot you back $10 through PayPal if you sign up through me, so drop me a PM if you want my referral number or if you just have questions about my experience with SunRocket.

;-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby JTWood » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:12 am

Coppermine wrote:1. I've never even heard of Sunrocket.

How have you never heard of them? They run GIANT banner ads on this very site. In fact, I'm looking at one of their ads right now. Saying you've never heard of SunRocket is like saying that you haven't heard of GameDayRitual.

:-b
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby logan » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:57 pm

JTWood wrote:I use SunRocket. Very few issues, and the ones that come up are minor, like clicking on my phone that a simple update removes. And you cannot beat the price. If anyone wants to sign up for SunRocket, let me know. They do referral credits. According to an e-mail they sent me last week:

SunRocket wrote:Friends you refer now will get a free cordless phone system with two handsets just for indicating you sent them...

But I think they offer that without a referral, which makes no sense to me.

:-?

Anyways, they give me $25 if you sign up. I'll shoot you back $10 through PayPal if you sign up through me, so drop me a PM if you want my referral number or if you just have questions about my experience with SunRocket.

;-D

i may hit you up on that in the next day or two. no need to send me the money though as the only way to get the free handsets otherwise is to get the $199 plan and i want to go with the $24.95 a month version. i'll let ya know thogh.
logan
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Iguana » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:19 pm

JTWood wrote:
Coppermine wrote:1. I've never even heard of Sunrocket.

How have you never heard of them? They run GIANT banner ads on this very site. In fact, I'm looking at one of their ads right now. Saying you've never heard of SunRocket is like saying that you haven't heard of GameDayRitual.

:-b

Haha. No kidding. I just noticed their banner ad as I'm writing this.

That's awesome that you have had such great success with SunRocket. Is it true what they say about the "no-hassle" or "no extra fees" pricing, (forgetting the terminology). How cheap does it end up being for you, and what else is good about it?
Iguana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to General Talk