Bowling question for Madison - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Bowling question for Madison

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby acsguitar » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:56 pm

Madison wrote:
acsguitar wrote:Hey this is some good stuff.. I had no idea. So how much would a ball cost for a begginer like me with an average of about 100


What I would do is buy a used ball. Most pro shops have a rack or two of used bowling balls and they range anywhere from say $40-$80. You should be able to have one drilled up for you for around $100 total, or less. If you go with a new ball, stick to the cheaper stuff at first (but avoid the plastic balls) and you should stay under $150 total real easy. Probably more like $100-$125.

Provided the cost of living in Colorado isn't through the roof or anything. :-?


Its cheap here... way better then DC where I used to live. I don't bowl much but maybee I should get into it
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby 3 run homer » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:03 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Madison wrote:
acsguitar wrote:Hey this is some good stuff.. I had no idea. So how much would a ball cost for a begginer like me with an average of about 100


What I would do is buy a used ball. Most pro shops have a rack or two of used bowling balls and they range anywhere from say $40-$80. You should be able to have one drilled up for you for around $100 total, or less. If you go with a new ball, stick to the cheaper stuff at first (but avoid the plastic balls) and you should stay under $150 total real easy. Probably more like $100-$125.

Provided the cost of living in Colorado isn't through the roof or anything. :-?


Its cheap here... way better then DC where I used to live. I don't bowl much but maybee I should get into it

What a great pick up line:
Hey Baby I just got my ball drilled, wanna touch it
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
Hail to the Redskins, Hail to victory, Braves on the warpath fight for ol' DC
3 run homer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 501
Joined: 5 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby curious_george_43545 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:22 pm

Curious George's bowling career

High Game: 257
High Series: 666 (yes I know, I am the devil)
Most strikes in a row in a game: 7 (twice)
Current Average: 186

Not bad I think for still in high school.
Image
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 5200
Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Ohio

Postby acsguitar » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:07 pm

curious_george_43545 wrote:Curious George's bowling career

High Game: 257
High Series: 666 (yes I know, I am the devil)
Most strikes in a row in a game: 7 (twice)
Current Average: 186

Not bad I think for still in high school.


Curious George knows bowling
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby Arlo » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:22 pm

Madison wrote:Rotogrip also makes the RS1 and I carried one of those before picking up a U-Turn Pearl. :-)

Trust Mad to find a way to combine bowling and roto. :-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 8847
Joined: 4 Jan 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Cheap Seats

Postby Madison » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:23 am

Arlo wrote:
Madison wrote:Rotogrip also makes the RS1 and I carried one of those before picking up a U-Turn Pearl. :-)

Trust Mad to find a way to combine bowling and roto. :-D


That's because Roto is real fantasy baseball. ;-D H2H is for that fantasy football thing. :-b


Oh, and nice scores George. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:01 am

I retired from bowling about 9 years ago. Just didnt have the time.

I have been thinking about getting back into it since I am only 30. I took my wife out bowling once close to 1 1/2 years ago and threw a 249 after not picking up a ball in 6 years. I didnt even bring my old hammer or cobra! Just an old used eurethane that was sitting ont he rack. I could barely get my fingertips in it


Madison: Do you remember the older Omega Blue back in the mid 90's. that was my favorite ball and I still have it downstairs under the stairs.
Image
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3522
Joined: 8 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby Broncmet724 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:36 am

Thats about where I am at Shock. I had a 198 average when I quit and was bowling about 100-125 games a week, had an idea of going pro. Then I got married and needing to work overtime killed that.
The lane I shot at normally was about 15-20 pins lower than any other lane in my area. Had this other alley I went to that I could carry a 215 average. Oh well, those were the days

Used an old Pulse, a pink Hammer, and a Columbia blue dot for spares only becuase I couldn't find a white dot.

Think I was 266 high, 690 series. But it has been a while.

Wife and I talked about bowling again but I don't know LOL
Image
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1754
Joined: 8 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On the outside looking in

Postby Madison » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:43 am

SHOCKandAWE wrote:I retired from bowling about 9 years ago. Just didnt have the time.

I have been thinking about getting back into it since I am only 30. I took my wife out bowling once close to 1 1/2 years ago and threw a 249 after not picking up a ball in 6 years. I didnt even bring my old hammer or cobra! Just an old used eurethane that was sitting ont he rack. I could barely get my fingertips in it


Madison: Do you remember the older Omega Blue back in the mid 90's. that was my favorite ball and I still have it downstairs under the stairs.


8-o

Yeah, I remember the Omega Blue. Had some really funky drilling instructions for that thing. All kinds of letters on it. I think I had 3 of them punched before I just said to heck with it and forgot all about that ball. :-b

Had the Blue Hammer too. Didn't own a Cobra, but did have the Cobra Pearl. That ball was berry berry good to me. :-]

Man, just thinking of those balls brings back some great memories. The Nail. Pink Hammer. The Rhino Pro line. Black Sumo, purple Sumo. Ah, the memories. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby Pacman » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:08 am

Madison wrote:Heavy rolling, very low RG, hits like a truck, relatively high flare potential, hooks early and quite a bit on the overall. Does go longer down the lane before hooking than the original Action does.

Ok, tekkie stuff aside, personally I think it's a good ball. If the RG (Radius of Gyration) was higher, I'd be able to use it, but with the RG being so low, there's probably no way I'd be able to keep it on the lane. It just doesn't get far enough down the lane before hooking out the wazoo. Not real compatible for my game. If I was on a Sport Bowling condition, that would be another story though.

Anyhow, not a bad ball at all to have in your bag. If you continue to like it, but it doesn't have enough hook sometimes, pick up the original Action for the wetter conditions. If you wind up on drier lanes, you might want to have a ball in your bag that's less aggressive.

It's something I recommend to most bowlers who are trying to get serious about their game, or improve to a competitive level. Buy a 4 ball bag, one big hooking ball (like the Action), one medium-to-big hooking ball (like the Action Packed), one lesser hooking ball (like a U-Turn Pearl), and a plastic ball to shoot single pin spares with (like for the 10 pin for a righty or a 7 pin for a lefty). Obviously the balls I listed are just one of 20-30 different balls that fit each catagory, the ones listed are just examples.



Yeah, Mad, but does it come in Candlepin size??? B-)

Image
Image
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2569
Joined: 10 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Birthplace of the US Navy

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact