Bowling question for Madison - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Bowling question for Madison

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lenny Dykstra » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:16 pm

Madison wrote:
Lenny Dykstra wrote:Bunch of Ball Breakers you guys are...no pun intended.Thanks for the extensive feedback,Mad.Right now im a 180 avg.I really just started last year & a half.I started with the Rotogrip SilverStreak & I felt I needed to take a step up in a ball so, now I got the Action Packed.I been improving steadily & I love how this ball hooks like a beast at the end.

I had a Silver Streak awhile back. Good ball. :-) ;-D

Rotogrip also makes the RS1 and I carried one of those before picking up a U-Turn Pearl. :-)

180 average? Not too bad at all. You're probably focusing on one of two things right now. Either:

A: Consistancy in hitting the pocket, and consistancy making your spares.

or

B: You hit the pocket 90%+ of the time and make 95%+ of your spares and just need the equipment upgrade to help your carry percentages.

Hopefully it's B. Your scores will shoot up with newer, more powerful equipment, in very little time. If it's A, then practice, practice, practice. You'll get to the point you want to be at. :-)
I guess im between A & B.
Lenny Dykstra
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:20 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:I can spin the ball like mad if I try, I just can't aim when I do it. I have to hope it doesn't either fall into the right-hand lane before it hooks back or shoots all the way back across into the left-hand lane before it gets to the pins. Anyway, I'm not very good with the hook.

It's a good party trick though when you're drinking and bowling with friends. ;-D

But arne't you like 7 feet tall and 500 pounds?

I'm 5 9 180
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Tavish » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:43 pm

acsguitar wrote:
_Simulacrum_ wrote:Hey Mads, what's the trick to make the ball curve as it goes down the lane? All I can do is throw them straight as an arrow- leads to a lot of splits. And my robust 110 average.

yea you seem to have to have some pretty powerful wrists to spin that ball

Its not really as hard as it first appears. Its one of those things that once you figure out how to stay behind/under the ball and get used to only putting your fingertips into the ball it becomes a fairly simple thing to do.

The reason it is difficult for most pure recreational bowlers is that they are using house balls which are basically only good for being cheap and durable. Even if you go out and by a low end ball you will see a dramatic difference in how easy it is to hook a ball simply because you will have a ball drilled to fit your hand.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Madison » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:06 am

Tavish wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
_Simulacrum_ wrote:Hey Mads, what's the trick to make the ball curve as it goes down the lane? All I can do is throw them straight as an arrow- leads to a lot of splits. And my robust 110 average.

Its not really as hard as it first appears. Its one of those things that once you figure out how to stay behind/under the ball and get used to only putting your fingertips into the ball it becomes a fairly simple thing to do.

The reason it is difficult for most pure recreational bowlers is that they are using house balls which are basically only good for being cheap and durable. Even if you go out and by a low end ball you will see a dramatic difference in how easy it is to hook a ball simply because you will have a ball drilled to fit your hand.

Tavish is right. The balls you use that the center provides, are simply made of plastic (for all intents and purposes). They are not designed to hook, the weight block in the center of them is circular (some don't even have a weight block) and you're using two knuckles worth of fingers in the ball.

You can purchase plastic balls (I own one for spare shooting) in the pro shop, and they are designed to go right straight where you throw them. Here's what mine looks like:

Anyway, anything other than a plastic ball will have some sort of weight block inside it. That's part of what makes the ball hook. Here's an idea of what I'm talking about. This is what the inside of the Global Assault looks like:

The shell (outside) of these types of balls are not plastic. They are made of all kinds of material to help them grip the lanes.

Also by drilling the ball to just use your fingertips, and learning how to put proper revolutions on the ball, all of those factors cause the ball to hook. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby TheRock » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:03 am

Hook? I thought if you just hit the head pin hard enough they would all fall down?
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Fireball Express » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:50 am

I guess you can compare bowling balls to golf balls as well as lanes to fairways and greens.

In golf, you can not change balls during a hole.
Can you change bowling balls in the middle of a frame, after your 1st shot?
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:29 am

Fireball Express wrote:I guess you can compare bowling balls to golf balls as well as lanes to fairways and greens.

In golf, you can not change balls during a hole.
Can you change bowling balls in the middle of a frame, after your 1st shot?

Yes, you should always have a spare ball (plastic), to go straighter at spares.

MAD did you see Maximum Bob last week?
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Madison » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:18 am

TheRock wrote:Hook? I thought if you just hit the head pin hard enough they would all fall down?

Umm.........No, that's not quite how it works. ;-)

Fireball Express wrote:Can you change bowling balls in the middle of a frame, after your 1st shot?

Absolutely. The only thing you can't do is change hands during a game. If you shoot the first frame right handed, every single shot in the game has to be shot right handed, but you are allowed to switch balls whenever you want.

However, on the pro tour, you can switch hands whenever you want as well. Very rarely does it happen, but they do have that option, while as normal league bowlers do not.

Hootie wrote:MAD did you see Maximum Bob last week?

Sure did. ;-D Looks a bit different with his hair grown out. I've been following the tour rather closely since I've got 3 guys I gew up with all close to the cut line for next year's exemption. Chris Johnson is at 35, Dino Castillo is at 40, and D. J. Archer is at 54. They have to get into (or in Chris's case, stay in) the top 37 to have a job next year. Going to come down to the wire unless one of them makes the show pretty soon.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:40 pm

Madison wrote:
Tavish wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

Tavish is right. The balls you use that the center provides, are simply made of plastic (for all intents and purposes). They are not designed to hook, the weight block in the center of them is circular (some don't even have a weight block) and you're using two knuckles worth of fingers in the ball.

You can purchase plastic balls (I own one for spare shooting) in the pro shop, and they are designed to go right straight where you throw them. Here's what mine looks like:

Anyway, anything other than a plastic ball will have some sort of weight block inside it. That's part of what makes the ball hook. Here's an idea of what I'm talking about. This is what the inside of the Global Assault looks like:

The shell (outside) of these types of balls are not plastic. They are made of all kinds of material to help them grip the lanes.

Also by drilling the ball to just use your fingertips, and learning how to put proper revolutions on the ball, all of those factors cause the ball to hook. :-)

Hey this is some good stuff.. I had no idea. So how much would a ball cost for a begginer like me with an average of about 100
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:31 pm

acsguitar wrote:Hey this is some good stuff.. I had no idea. So how much would a ball cost for a begginer like me with an average of about 100

What I would do is buy a used ball. Most pro shops have a rack or two of used bowling balls and they range anywhere from say $40-$80. You should be able to have one drilled up for you for around $100 total, or less. If you go with a new ball, stick to the cheaper stuff at first (but avoid the plastic balls) and you should stay under $150 total real easy. Probably more like $100-$125.

Provided the cost of living in Colorado isn't through the roof or anything. :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk