Dual browsers for 4+ teams on Yahoo - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dual browsers for 4+ teams on Yahoo

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby acsguitar » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:33 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:
BravesGuy wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:Why anyone uses a browser not named IE on the PC is beyond me.
Why anyone uses a MAC is also beyond me, but that is another issue.

I bought a Mac after I destroyed my PC with a baseball bat. I hate windows and internet explorer.

To each his own. You would have to pay me to use a MAC.

Yea me too I can't stand them ;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Simulacrum » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:45 pm

acsguitar wrote:

IE crashes more, is slower, has no tabs, supports evil microsoft, has holes in its security, takes up more memory

I'm all about the firefox too. I really like the tabs, and I love how you can customize your toolbar up top with the various website you use as well.

Wow man, 8 teams... that's really serious business. How'd you place in them? 8-o
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Broncmet724 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:26 pm

<shrug> I was in 16 yahoo leagues and I kept up with them all year, not just mocking and moving on
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby swyck » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:54 pm

You should try it. Firefox is much better all the way around. The tabs are a great organizing tool, favorites in nested folders right on the tab bar, auto-opening workspaces, a search feature that put IE to shame, and that is just to start.

I do use IE for some things, there's no getting away from it, but no one that actually wants to do things quickly and efficiently should be using IE. Maybe you dont need those features, and maybe you just dont know how, but I do. :-D
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby WickedSmaat » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:22 am

TheYanks04 wrote:
BravesGuy wrote:

I bought a Mac after I destroyed my PC with a baseball bat. I hate windows and internet explorer.

To each his own. You would have to pay me to use a MAC.

Used both, like Macs better. Windows doesn't have spotlight. Now that's a downside :-b It's not that I hate Windows, I just like the interface of OSX better. Besides, going into advertising design, it's pretty much a standard to be running OSX...

As far as the yahoo IDs go, used to do as much as I could with the 3 IDs I had but made a new one and just use that one. Besides being in that many public leagues is kind of a bore since half the people never finish a season.
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:46 am

swyck wrote:

You should try it. Firefox is much better all the way around. The tabs are a great organizing tool, favorites in nested folders right on the tab bar, auto-opening workspaces, a search feature that put IE to shame, and that is just to start.

I do use IE for some things, there's no getting away from it, but no one that actually wants to do things quickly and efficiently should be using IE. Maybe you dont need those features, and maybe you just dont know how, but I do. :-D

I program and supervise the development of such things so all the glitz in the world is not going to make be switch from IE to FireFox. Tabs? Like Tabs over a straight windows interface is something to write home about.

It may be a bit of a generality as it certainly does not apply to all MAC users, but my experience with the avg MAC user is that he is a borderline computer illertate who can barely manage the basic computer skills and relies on the LCD approach of the MAC OS to bail him out from actually having to understand OS things like directory paths, configuration files, disk maintenance, etc.

MAC OS is infamous for its LCD GUI that hides the details. That has its good and it bad and there are plenty of PC based illiterates that are no better, but I find a lot of MAC users to be in that vein.

In fact, the director of the MAC Helpdesk at my company and I have an on-going war as I have refused to support anything but IE on my intranet applications. As I tell him, you want it, pony up a few hundered K for it and we will get those MAC users access and support. Otherwise use Firefox or IE for the MAC and support it yourself.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby swyck » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:37 am

TheYanks04 wrote:I program and supervise the development of such things so all the glitz in the world is not going to make be switch from IE to FireFox. Tabs? Like Tabs over a straight windows interface is something to write home about.

Using tabs and windows together is like nested folders versus flat file systems IMO. CTRL-TAB can move you between your tabs much faster, accurately, and easily then ALT-TAB will move you between your windows.

I dont consider this glitz but a productivity improvement, similar to the days when Quatro pro first started using tabs in their spreadsheets. Excel incorporated tabs in the next version, because it was a good solid feature, and so did Lotus 1-2-3. MS has already announced that the next version of IE will have tabs so they realize it also.

Face it, MS hasn't had a reason to improve IE in years. They dont really have that much of one now since there's no way Firefox will have a lot of impact their bottom line. At least they're getting a push, and I dont think they want to lose too many browser users.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby JTWood » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:06 am

I have a Mac. I love it for its simplicity and ease of use. My wife loves it because it's exponentially more efficient with her graphic design work. I hate Mac because, unlike my PC, I have no freaking clue about how to get into the details of the OS and to fix things. I can tinker with a PC to no end, but if there is even the slightest issue with a Mac, it can literally take me days of work to fix it - if it ever even gets fixed.

In summary, Mac is easier to use than a PC, is great for people who don't understand computers, and is the only option if you work in the graphic design field.

PC is better if you want to be able to customize your computer and to cheaply fix any issues that arise by yourself.

But to flat-out say that one is necessarily better than the other at all times is just narrow-minded at best.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby nuggets » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:31 pm

You're living in the past if you like IE over firefox. Fewer problems and faster everything across the board. The deal closer is here:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/friv/

scroll down to here:

Baseball-Reference.com Mozilla Firefox Search Plugin
This adds Baseball-Reference.com to your list of search engines in the firefox and mozilla browsers.

:-) ;-D
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby rjforlife » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:40 pm

i used to be a mac guy for all my life....then switched to PC and loved it, switched to firefox yesterday and it is the greatest. plus they transfer everything from IE over to your new firefox like history/favorites etc.....thanks for the heads up on firefox fellas. ;-D ;-D
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers