Standard Deviation added to Overall Rankings!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Standard Deviation added to Overall Rankings!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Standard Deviation added to Overall Rankings!!

Postby btaylor1978 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:22 pm

Thanks to your feedback, I have now added Standard Deviation to my overall rankings page. You can visit that page at https://www.fantasy-focus.com/Rankings.html.

Thanks for your input, everyone. I hope the rankings are helpful!
btaylor1978
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheGrump » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:28 pm

Love the rankings and standard deviation!!!!!!!!!!

GOOD WORK ;-D

p.s. I think the link that was posted is a dead link, but I found the rankings anyway
TheGrump
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tms298 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:32 pm

Remove the period from the end of the link.

https://www.fantasy-focus.com/Rankings.html
tms298
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

You're right...

Postby btaylor1978 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:32 pm

Sorry about the previous link. I think it's dead because of the period at the end. Here is the link to the Rankings.

https://www.fantasy-focus.com/Rankings.html

Thanks!
btaylor1978
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:45 pm

Nice list!! The standard deviation number is interesting but seems to get hairy pretty quickly!

I thought the draft aid is a crafty idea but do people really blow off drafts? When I'm shopping for leagues besides the one w/ my buddies, I just shop for one that I'll be able to make the draft on. Most of the time, the draft is almost the best part of the season although I prefer doing it in person to online. Good idea though, since you could do bunches of drafts for people and not have to do the leagues if it takes off...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby btaylor1978 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:56 pm

I developed DraftAid primarily for newer fantasy players who don't understand the ins and outs of the draft yet. Yahoo used to drive me crazy in AutoPick drafts skipping over players I really wanted because a run had started on RPs or Catchers. Most of my DraftAid customers are pretty new to fantasy, which is why I don't pitch it too much on here.

Thanks for your thoughts.
btaylor1978
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby phaedrus » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:59 pm

How does the standard deviation help exactly?

It just means that Tejada is ranked anywhere from 4 to 24, 68% of the time, right? So guys with big sd have big upside, but more risk?
phaedrus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby phaedrus » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:59 pm

How does the standard deviation help exactly?

It just means that Tejada is ranked anywhere from 4 to 24, 68% of the time, right? So guys with big sd have big upside, but more risk?
phaedrus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:11 pm

The other thing that I thought of that might be interesting to check stats on as a means of valuing rankings is whether hitting and pitching stats are consistent in a source, ie if the batters hit as many more or less hits/runs/ hr/ BA vs. BAA, etc. than pitchers are supposed to give up.

That would require a source that had all the players projected, way down to scrubs and so forth but in some cases, it seems like sources are too conservative, which seems like you'd see a wide gap w/ pitchers predicted to get shelled while hitters are projected, as a group, to do 'poorly' whereas IRL, the pitchers and hitters STATS (not projections...) would match up perfectly. If a projection DOESN'T figure a way to get the numbers to at least be reasonably close (5%? 10%? 3%? I'm not really sure about that...) it would suggest to me that a given set of projections might be more of a journalistic exercise than a scientific analysis... :-?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:20 pm

phaedrus wrote:How does the standard deviation help exactly?

it doesnt have any thing to do with upside. its a measure of uncertainty. people are more certain that m.young is worth a #15 pick than tejada is worth a #14 pick. there seems to be a consensus that edmonds should be ranked somewhere around 100 but the ranks for schilling are quite spread out. for the most part its kind of obvious which picks are going to be uncertain but i was a little surprised to see that sizemore at #35 had a lower std than players around him.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers