Tino retires, joins Baseball Tonight - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Tino retires, joins Baseball Tonight

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby theclefe » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:51 am

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
LukeW9027 wrote:and j_d_, joe morgan is a god in my book, he knows so much about the game. its refreshing to hear it from someone who had a great career and knows what hes talking about. one of my favorites

I'm hoping you left out the " ;-7 " at the end by mistake ... :-o Please? :-o

I must say, I enjoy Joe a bit myself. I'll take him over a few others easily.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:20 am

I think Joe is fine in his role, and that is as the color guy for Sunday Night Baseball. He's been at it for 15 years and clearly eats, sleeps and drinks baseball. That doesn't mean his insight is always valuable. There is some bias with him and I think that he criticizes umpires more than he should. He has a pompous attitude that suggests "Well, if I had my way, things would be different... and by different, better."

When they consult him on Baseball Tonight, I immediately get irritated. I don't think he fits the role of analyst; he's not the same kind of guru that Peter Gammons is. Morgan is great at stating the obvious, and his in-game discussions with John Miller are often far easier to digest than, say, Phil Rizzuto's game commentary. But leave him out of Baseball Tonight.

I also don't know how I feel about Baseball Tonights phone conversations with players. Last weekend they spoke to two players; David Wright and Carlos Lee. Wright did ok, but he's a young guy and it was clear that he's not offering any kind of profound analysis of his or his teams performance. It was the whole "We do what Willie says." If they're so concerned about how the Mets are playing, they should probably just talk to Willie. Carlos Lee on the other hand was not really cut out for talking to anyone. They were asking him questions that he did even understand and he had Karl repeat a few things.

I guess that's a work in progress.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby 5 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:35 am

j_d_mcnugent wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
I'd say Tino is just slightly better than Buck Showalter. If I had my way, they'd bring back Bobby V.

i hated bobby v. i guess everyone is different. or maybe i just hate everyone?

i thought phillips was solid for the same reasons. he has decent insight and seems comfortable behind the camera. tino seems like colin quinn doing weekend update.

joe morgan may know a lot, i just dont think he does a good job of conveying that knowledge. he tells too many 'when i was playing...' stories and other goofy stuff.

Bobby V? keep that guy in Japan.

Phillips is good.

I can't listen to the broadcast of the Sunday night games. Senor Miller es annoying and Joe Morgan, though he knows a lot, cannot articulate to save his arse.

Harold Reynolds is funny.
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:49 pm

Quite Frankly?? Yeah. It's still on.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Coppermine » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:46 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Quite Frankly?? Yeah. It's still on.

REALLY? I thought they wised up and took that idiot off the air a while ago. His show is garbage and he knows nothing about any sport except basketball.

I'll never forget when he was interviewing Bobby Knight and Knight was tell Smith about how ESPN doesn't focus on defensive highlights enough on SportsCenter. So then Knight mentions Web Gems and how great it is that Baseball Tonight highlights defensive excellence in baseball, but not any other sport. Stephen A-hole Smith had NO IDEA what Web Gems were. So Knight says "You know, if I had a job working for a sports network, I think I'd have some idea of what they showed on it."

Haha, I was like "Oh Snap, in your face!"
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:28 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:Quite Frankly?? Yeah. It's still on.

REALLY? I thought they wised up and took that idiot off the air a while ago. His show is garbage and he knows nothing about any sport except basketball.

I'll never forget when he was interviewing Bobby Knight and Knight was tell Smith about how ESPN doesn't focus on defensive highlights enough on SportsCenter. So then Knight mentions Web Gems and how great it is that Baseball Tonight highlights defensive excellence in baseball, but not any other sport. Stephen A-hole Smith had NO IDEA what Web Gems were. So Knight says "You know, if I had a job working for a sports network, I think I'd have some idea of what they showed on it."

Haha, I was like "Oh Snap, in your face!"

I think that it's on late, though.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Previous

Return to General Talk