Soriano at SS? It's possible - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Soriano at SS? It's possible

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Soriano at SS? It's possible

Postby nsulham » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:13 am

Interesting little nugget from the Nats MLB site:

Just a thought: If Cristian Guzman and Royce Clayton don't pan out at shortstop, manager Frank Robinson said that he would consider playing Alfonso Soriano there, since it is his natural position.

Soriano has played only 10 Major League games at shortstop, all of them coming with the Yankees.

"If it came down to it, we would look at all scenarios. I wouldn't say I would not consider it," Robinson said.

Seeing as all he has to do is wait for Guzman and Clayton to bomb, I'd say it's a possibility.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:17 am

Wow, that is a newsflash. I'm still VERY leery of him but a happy Soriano has got to be better than a pouty one. Why would they have to put an 'if' in front of Guzman bombing though?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:24 am

AcidRock23 wrote:Wow, that is a newsflash. I'm still VERY leery of him but a happy Soriano has got to be better than a pouty one. Why would they have to put an 'if' in front of Guzman bombing though?

Would give new meaning to the terms

"Look out, he has the ball again".

Or

"Son, you do not jave to sacrifice...just go up there and hit at at the SS".

or

OBP+AS
standard OBP + % reached on ground balls hit at Soriano.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:37 am

His value will still be at 2B so I can't see myself moving him up a whole lot.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 53)

Postby bama680 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:56 pm

Hard to see that happening. The the reason Michael Young moved over to SS was because Soriano only wanted to play 2nd.
bama680
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: Soriano at SS? It's possible

Postby BigLebowski » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:29 pm

nsulham wrote:Interesting little nugget from the Nats MLB site:

Just a thought: If Cristian Guzman and Royce Clayton don't pan out at shortstop, manager Frank Robinson said that he would consider playing Alfonso Soriano there, since it is his natural position.

Soriano has played only 10 Major League games at shortstop, all of them coming with the Yankees.

"If it came down to it, we would look at all scenarios. I wouldn't say I would not consider it," Robinson said.

Seeing as all he has to do is wait for Guzman and Clayton to bomb, I'd say it's a possibility.

While I think the Nat's have an abysmal SS tandem, Soriano, is too much of a "DIVA" to move to SS. He is an !@$##%@#%...and is only out for himself. But then again, he always gets his way, so what does it really matter.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 450)

Postby rfa94wp98 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:49 pm

i don't know what to make of soriano this season. i definitely think the nl along with the nats ballpark will hurt him, but it's a contract year, so he may tear the cover off the ball or steal a ton of bases. who knows? i don't think i'm willing to take the risk though and i plan on either taking utley or figgins or waiting for a mid tier 2b. what do you guys think?
rfa94wp98
College Coach
College Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby kimchi_chigae » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:51 am

rfa94wp98 wrote:i don't know what to make of soriano this season. i definitely think the nl along with the nats ballpark will hurt him, but it's a contract year, so he may tear the cover off the ball or steal a ton of bases. who knows? i don't think i'm willing to take the risk though and i plan on either taking utley or figgins or waiting for a mid tier 2b. what do you guys think?

Contract years don't necessarily mean that a player will perform well, so I wouldn't count too much on it and predict a great season for Soriano.

If Soriano stays in WAS, he will prolly still play tons of games at 2B to make him eligible at 2B again in 07...two words: Jose Vidro. When was the last time Vidro was healthy for the whole season? Has it ever happened? :-b

Soriano's numbers should go down considerably because of his move to RFK. The only thing that might save him is a trade.
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:14 am

TheYanks04 wrote:

"Look out, he has the ball again".

The Post Office can issue a new 'airmail' stamp!! LOL...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Return to Baseball Leftovers