Significant H2H vs Roto differences? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Significant H2H vs Roto differences?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Significant H2H vs Roto differences?

Postby BritSox » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:16 am

To prep myself for the H2HWS, I'm doing my first 5x5 H2H draft today. what are the things that you need to look out for in this format, that have an effect on draft strategy?

Stuff like inconsistent guys being bumped down, the possibility of punting a cat, use of platoons and so on.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:20 am

Building a balanced team isn't as important.
I like to have a strong bench in H2H so that I can change my lineup to better match up with my opponent that week.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby TB13 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:20 am

Don't overrate saves. You can get by without closers, just add a few top MRs. And have your bench players be eligible for multiple positions.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BritSox » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:22 am

Would it be better to have on stud closer and good mr, or two guys like Gonzalez and Orvella?
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby eviljoshing » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:27 am

It really depends on when the closer runs come. A stud closer can basically win you a category once every two weeks. So, if you can get one at a fairly discounted price (such as Gagne this year) then do it. Otherwise, grab a few young possibles (like Gonzalez) and roll with a really strong team in other categories.
eviljoshing
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TB13 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:30 am

BritSox wrote:Would it be better to have on stud closer and good mr, or two guys like Gonzalez and Orvella?

I say the most important thing is not to get caught up with the rest of the herd. Bet your bottom dollar that someone will start a completely unnecessary early run on closers. Don't get caught up. Stay back and load up on hitters first and pitchers second. There is no harm in entering the season with Gonzalez, Orvella, Valverde & Dempster as your closers. Or even two of those 4, along with a Shields or Rincon.
Take the guys that will give you the saves. Maybe they will not be 45 save studs, but will be 30 save stalwarts. If these guys run our, load up on top middle relievers.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pochucker » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:17 pm

Having the best closers guaramtees you nothing in h2h! Unlike starters you do not have "control" over when they pitch. Ive seen many weeks when closers might only pitch once or twice that week and maybe not even in save situation(which is when most of them seem to get bombed).
My strategy is to take last or next to last of top 10/12 closers then wait and grab "new or prospective closer". If your wrong its easy to get one off waiver wire early. Last year drafted Izzy and Mota. Replaced Mota with Turnbow off ww and did fine.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:25 pm

I'm in a money league with start limits on pitchers per week but no limit on IP or ABs. We pay $5 per pick up so roster churning does not occur.

One thing that gets overlooked is position flexibility. I will be focusing a lot more this season on multi-position players as they can really make a huge impact any given week.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Ender » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:22 pm

SB aren't as important in H2H either, if you go heavy on SB you end up with 12 one week and 3 the next week, not like in Roto where you just take 1st place.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Jmar » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:42 pm

Having 2 stud pitchers helps a lot in H2H as well. If you have say Peavy & Prior each with 2 starts in the same week you're going to be very tough.
Jmar
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers