Closer for Pittsburgh - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Closer for Pittsburgh

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mak1277 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:57 pm

Zito is God wrote:If Torres is ahead of Marte it is simply because of the loyalty factor. Marte dominates Torres in the makeup of a closer department IMO and should geta crack if Gonzalez falters. Roberto Hernandez over Marte??? :-?

Marte is, for me, far too wild to rely on as a closer. I may be wrong, but I think it's more likely that he gets traded in spring training than it is for him to end up closing games for the Pirates.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:27 pm

My guess is 50/50 that torres is closer by mid season. Gonzalez will be too wild and Marte ineffective as the lefty setup guy.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby Zito is God » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:44 pm

You mean to say Marte will be effective and not ineffective as a lefty set up guy right? Otherwise if you're saying hes ineffective as the set up guy you mean you think he'll close or what?

Marte is murder to left handed hitters. I think he was fantastic as a situational pitcher but has too much talent to be considered one. he should set up.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

hmm

Postby hoopitup21212 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:48 pm

BigLebowski wrote:
mak1277 wrote:
acsguitar wrote:gonzo then marte

I think Marte is fourth on the list.

Gonzo

Torres
Roberto Hernandez
Marte

This is what I have heard as well, but I don't expect Gonzalez to lose the job to any of these guys. At the end of the year Torres may have 5-7 saves, but they will be of the two inning type.

Marte should move up that list and be right behind Gonzo. Should be interesting if gonzo was to loose the job, marte wouldnt be bad and could have better stats since he is making the switch to the NL.
SGMKL
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=163
"When Chuck Norris jumps in an ocean he doesnt get wet, the water gets chuck."
hoopitup21212
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby beatlehead84 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:59 pm

Speaking of Gonzalez how high is he going? From what I've seen he averages out around the 14th round. Has he been going higher since he's everybodys favorite sleeper closer?
beatlehead84
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Ender » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:16 pm

Zito is God wrote:You mean to say Marte will be effective and not ineffective as a lefty set up guy right? Otherwise if you're saying hes ineffective as the set up guy you mean you think he'll close or what?

Marte is murder to left handed hitters. I think he was fantastic as a situational pitcher but has too much talent to be considered one. he should set up.

Marte's skills have regressed two years in a row. Last year he was very hittable by lefties and his control was terrible. He's 31 years old now and unlikely to regain his form fully. I just think he's going to be a very marginal pitcher this year.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby J_Cuz » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:13 pm

I would recommend laying off Gonzalez for now. He went through a real rough dead arm period last season as a set up guy and now has the pressure of closing for a team that actully has some expectations. Marte has been unravelling for a year and a half so he is a wild card in that mix.

The best value here is Torres in a wait-and-monitor situation. Unless he is named the closer he will not be drafted but could be a valuable ww selection as the season pogresses.

For all of these pichers Spring Training will be important. The best way to analyze ST stats is to look at walks and total pitches. Everything lse is of little conseuence as they are likely to be working on locating certain pitches and not really focusing on getting batters out. But if they are walking batters that means that they are not locating the pitches they are working on and therefore are riskier than other pitchers. This line of valuation should be followed for most pithers in March.
www.igglephans.com
J_Cuz
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers