Any reason to worry about Vlad? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Any reason to worry about Vlad?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Any reason to worry about Vlad?

Postby Rhino Tuff » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:37 am

Am I being irrational about not liking Vladimir Guerrero this year? Do I have blinders on or do others have reservations this year?

In the fourth pick slot I figure our draft is going to look like this

Arod
Pujols
Texeira
????

Who to go with Ortiz? Manny? Santana? Or of course Vlad...
Rhino Tuff
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dannyolbb » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:04 am

No, I'm wary of him this year as well. I can't say exactly why. Maybe it's because he's 30 or maybe it's because he has no supporting cast or maybe it's because of some vague injury concerns, but he'll go too early for me this year.
[size=18]03[/size]
dannyolbb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Phatferd » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:01 am

dannyolbb wrote:No, I'm wary of him this year as well. I can't say exactly why. Maybe it's because he's 30 or maybe it's because he has no supporting cast or maybe it's because of some vague injury concerns, but he'll go too early for me this year.

No supporting cast? That's a little over the top don't you think? The team didn't lose anybody from the offense last year and this team went to the ALCS. I think you have to have some offense to reach the ALCS.

They were 6th in the AL in BA and 7th in Runs, thats right in the midde. I'm not saying they were great, but its not like he has no supporting cast.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby beatlehead84 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:56 am

I assume you are not in a keeper league if all those players are available. I would take Santana above Vlad in a keeper. But, those guys would never be available.

Do you have a DH spot? I'd go with Vlad unless you do have a DH spot. Ortiz is hands down the best pick if you have to start a DH unless you can guarantee you can get Hafner, but I don't think you can do that.

If you don't have a DH though, and you aren't in a keeper league, Vlad is not going to be any different than last year. He still has the same guys around him, and like Bonds, he flat out knows how to hit. That isn't going to change no matter how old he gets. I wish I could have him in my league but I missed out years ago.
beatlehead84
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:08 am

i dont think you're crazy for the questions because there are some, but vlad is the way to go. talk about question marks, if manny gets dealt somewhere like detroit and has to hit in a place like comerica, or ortiz without manny hitting in front of him, talk about protection... :-? you could go johan if you like pitching, but its difficult to draft a pitcher that early.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Ender » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:39 am

Vlad is breaking down physically in my opinion and I worry about him as well. He's still early first round but not sure I could take him 3rd this year.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:51 am

I would be worried if I had the 4th pick of my league. I don't know what it is, but Vlad does scare me. I took him 3rd last year and needless to say, I didn't really recieve the type of production I was hoping for. I can't see myself taking Ortiz or Manny at the number 4 pick though, so I'd have to stick with Vladdy.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby stumpak » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:11 pm

What worries me is Cabrera hitting in front of him and Anderson and Rivera behind him. Take a look at the Angels offense this, year it is terrible. The only who is clearly better than average for his position offensively is Vlad.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:13 pm

Projecting a stud player based on lineup support is complete BS IMO.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Rhino Tuff » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:42 pm

It's a weird keeper league. Some of the top talent is taken (we could only stay with keepers that were taken after the fourth round.) Possible first round talent that will be gone would be: Bay and Lee...

I was in a similar situation last year and was excited to take Vlad 3 but this year I'm more concerned. The Manny/Ortiz scares the hell out of me as well and I'm not that into taking a pitcher first.

Obviously if Texeira is there I'm going to grab him but I think he won't be available.

How about Carl Crawford? Way too early or a viable possibility? Normally I would probably go for either Lee or Bay but both will be kept...
Rhino Tuff
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers